Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

What time is it? It's time to BEAT procrastination watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I'm currently at C/D grades across Maths, Chemistry, Biology, and History. I really need to STEP UP my game if I want to study medicine. I have so much on my mind and I find it difficult to juggle social life, studying and sleep (I can't be the only one).
    The culprit is procrastination but I am slowly managing to avoid these distractions (I'll write about how I do this is in a later post).

With less than 3 months until my first AS-level exam, I MUST focus and be efficient with my time. I find that I may sit at the desk for hours, but not progress with my work so I need to tackle this issue - feel free to share your ways of tackling this problem

So my GOAL is to get ALL A'S.

What can you expect from this blog?
    Weekly updates of my study routine and what I have accomplished that week.
    Revision strategies
    Motivational quotes

oh shoot, I just procrastinated by setting up this blog.

ReputationRep:
    Is it bad that the title of this thread reminded me of a High School Musical song. If it is, then it completely didn't...
    You aren't the only procrastinator in the world! I've found that the Grow Your Grades threads have really helped me to knuckle down.
    Woohoo! You can get those As!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ara8311a)
    Is it bad that the title of this thread reminded me of a High School Musical song. If it is, then it completely didn't...
    You aren't the only procrastinator in the world! I've found that the Grow Your Grades threads have really helped me to knuckle down.
    Woohoo! You can get those As!!!
    High school musical was exactly what I was going for hehe
    I checked out your blog too - I hope all goes well and I'll be keeping a close eye on your blog

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by simply_a_ Δ)
    High school musical was exactly what I was going for hehe
    I checked out your blog too - I hope all goes well and I'll be keeping a close eye on your blog
    You have no idea how relieved I am that I didn't come cross as weird with the high school musical reference, or I hope I didn't!

ReputationRep:
    Procrastination is currently at a high.
    How am I going to combat this? Well I think it's time that I cut social media out of my life or at least put a time limit on how long I use it for... this will require so much will power and discipline but it is so necessary.

Time to set myself targets for the remainder of the week:
    Complete reivision notes for 1 topic in biology
    Do a past paper for chemistry
    Past paper for C1 maths
    Type up notes for history

Really need to get my revision notes completed by mid-march

ReputationRep:
    Procrastination is currently at a high.
    How am I going to combat this? Well I think it's time that I cut social media out of my life or at least put a time limit on how long I use it for... this will require so much will power and discipline but it is so necessary.

Time to set myself targets for the remainder of the week:
    Complete reivision notes for 1 topic in biology
    Do a past paper for chemistry
    Past paper for C1 maths
    Type up notes for history

Really need to get my revision notes completed by mid-march
    Good luck with cutting down on social media and with everything you have planned to do!

ReputationRep:
    Woah I haven't updates in a while! (due to the fact that I haven't done anything and motivation is still low)

So did I meet the goals I set myself previously? No.

COURSE OF ACTION/ GOAL:
    I struggle to sustain long term motivation for my end goal because it is so far away. So I've realised the importance of setting smaller goals as I am the sort of person who does things that will benefit me in the short term.

It's also important to get into a routine. So I try to dedicate 20 minutes a day for playing the piano. Now I just need to adopt this for studying. For instance, I should dedicate 4:30 to 8:00 to homework, dinner, showering.
    Then I can use 8:00 to 10:00 for revision.
    I really want to get into the habit of going to sleep at 10:30 - sleep is VITAL
    Perhaps this isn't realistic for a procrastinator like me, but it's all about disciplining myself now or else I will never achieve what I want.

Motivation
    "By failing to prepare, you are preparing to fail." - Benjamin Franklin

Lets make one up on the spot:
    If you want to see improvement, you've got to change what you're doing. I stupidly find myself using the same revision technique (plain old bullet point note taking style) just to get some "consistent" notes. But I know this isn't the most effective method thus my consistently low grades. So I need to change this and use my time EFFECTIVELY!

Come results day, you don't want to feel as if "you could have worked harder". If you've worked hard and still come out with mediocre grades, that's ok because at least you worked to your maximum potential. So the key thing is to STOP WASTING TIME and use every minute of the day to reach your maximum potential. No one can teach you how to reach your potential, I think it's something you have to find for yourself. Even at my stage of education, I still haven't found my "perfect revision technique", it's all about self discovery and really finding the determination to succeed.

Success is not a straight path. There will always be highs and lows and I want to prove that even I can succeed. (#beatprocrastination2k16 )

ReputationRep:
    Loving the blog so far! Keep it up

ReputationRep:
    Thanks Asmithy

OK, so I didn't achieve much this weekend - contrary to the traditional celebration of Mother's Day on a Sunday, we celebrated it on Saturday so I was out for a whole day. On Sunday I managed to complete two C1 papers but I left my history essay planning until 8pm at night - then got distracted by watching "The Night Manager" (I recommend it , despite some cringey scenes) and then returned to essay planning until 11pm. Hmm so I'm not keeping to my schedule of sleeping at 10:30pm...

FYI I had the history essay today and it was utter crap. I don't think I've ever been so disappointed with an essay before, despite having done more preparation for it than previous essays. I'm disappointed because I messed up the structure which nagged my brain whilst I was trying to recall facts so I just lost track of the whole plot and didn't answer the question. I also have trouble completing essays on time! I love learning history but damn I cannot write essays unless it's something I'm passionate about if ya get me.

So I think I will practice essay writing by making a plan for every single question I can think of. Whilst creating plans, it will force me to look through my notes and link causes and effects together. This needs to start ASAP, hopefully some time this week.

However I do feel like my maths is improving

Now the real KEY area for me to focus on is Biology and Chemistry. It's tough. It requires a lot of will power to do the cross referencing of resources which is necessary for ensuring you cover the whole topic well. The topics aren't very interesting either... e.g. doing a load of practicals on enzyme activity (*yawn*). I prefer human biology. This OCR doesn't appeal to me tbh - shame.

ANYWAY

MOTIVATION TIME
    The only person YOU should compare yourself with is your past self. Who cares what other people are up to, the time you spend envying their life is time you won't get back. Every minute counts and you are in control of how you spend it, so don't blame others if you fail.
    This is a path of endurance, determination and a desire to be independent that we must all face and at every bump, you just have to up your game to get over it.

Every obstacle and failure is an opportunity for you to either sink into your shadow or overcome that beast and show YOUR WORTH so JUST DO IT.

I'm curious to see how others are getting on so link me to your blog if you have one

ReputationRep:
    Great motivational quotes! I thought I'd add in another from the queen herself...

ReputationRep:
    Thanks Asmithy

OK, so I didn't achieve much this weekend - contrary to the traditional celebration of Mother's Day on a Sunday, we celebrated it on Saturday so I was out for a whole day. On Sunday I managed to complete two C1 papers but I left my history essay planning until 8pm at night - then got distracted by watching "The Night Manager" (I recommend it , despite some cringey scenes) and then returned to essay planning until 11pm. Hmm so I'm not keeping to my schedule of sleeping at 10:30pm...

FYI I had the history essay today and it was utter crap. I don't think I've ever been so disappointed with an essay before, despite having done more preparation for it than previous essays. I'm disappointed because I messed up the structure which nagged my brain whilst I was trying to recall facts so I just lost track of the whole plot and didn't answer the question. I also have trouble completing essays on time! I love learning history but damn I cannot write essays unless it's something I'm passionate about if ya get me.

So I think I will practice essay writing by making a plan for every single question I can think of. Whilst creating plans, it will force me to look through my notes and link causes and effects together. This needs to start ASAP, hopefully some time this week.

However I do feel like my maths is improving

Now the real KEY area for me to focus on is Biology and Chemistry. It's tough. It requires a lot of will power to do the cross referencing of resources which is necessary for ensuring you cover the whole topic well. The topics aren't very interesting either... e.g. doing a load of practicals on enzyme activity (*yawn*). I prefer human biology. This OCR doesn't appeal to me tbh - shame.

ANYWAY

MOTIVATION TIME
    The only person YOU should compare yourself with is your past self. Who cares what other people are up to, the time you spend envying their life is time you won't get back. Every minute counts and you are in control of how you spend it, so don't blame others if you fail.
    This is a path of endurance, determination and a desire to be independent that we must all face and at every bump, you just have to up your game to get over it.

Every obstacle and failure is an opportunity for you to either sink into your shadow or overcome that beast and show YOUR WORTH so JUST DO IT.

I'm curious to see how others are getting on so link me to your blog if you have one
    I love the Night Manger. I only realised how cringey it was when I recommended it to my mum. The start of the second episode was the first thing she saw... It's torturous having to wait another four days to see the next episode...

I'm having the same problem with sleeping earlier. 11 is only half an hour later? My problem is that I read or watch BBC iplayer in bed so I don't actually go to sleep...

Don't worry about the history text, as you said : 'Every obstacle and failure is an opportunity for you to either sink into your shadow or overcome that beast and show YOUR WORTH so JUST DO IT.'

Yay for improving maths! Your motivation is truly inspiring.

ReputationRep:
    I love the Night Manger. I only realised how cringey it was when I recommended it to my mum. The start of the second episode was the first thing she saw... It's torturous having to wait another four days to see the next episode...

I'm having the same problem with sleeping earlier. 11 is only half an hour later? My problem is that I read or watch BBC iplayer in bed so I don't actually go to sleep...

Don't worry about the history text, as you said : 'Every obstacle and failure is an opportunity for you to either sink into your shadow or overcome that beast and show YOUR WORTH so JUST DO IT.'

Yay for improving maths! Your motivation is truly inspiring.
    Sigh it's only 6 episodes long. But good things come in small amounts and we've got to treasure the small things in life...such as how little time we have left to revise xD

Thank you for your kinds words - it is motivating me to keep to my word and stop procrastinating

ReputationRep:
    Sigh it's only 6 episodes long. But good things come in small amounts and we've got to treasure the small things in life...such as how little time we have left to revise xD

Thank you for your kinds words - it is motivating me to keep to my word and stop procrastinating
    Only six??? Noo! Revision can wait if there was more! We have over two months. We still have time!

You're welcome! I enjoy sharing happiness and it's motivating me to revise too! We can do this!!!

ReputationRep:
    Motivation to study can really fluctuate, but I always seem to have the motivation to motivate others

Would your 30 year old self like to look back on where you are now? Make yourself proud and prove to yourself that you are capable of anything.

Your worst enemy is yourself, don't let your worries manifest inside you as they are toxic to your life and it is a battle we all have to tackle.

OK, think of ironing a shirt; if there are creases in your life, iron them out one by one. It may take time but when you perfect your technique you will be able to perform the task quicker and the end result will be worth everything. Practice makes near perfect and makes actions come more naturally as time goes on - unfortunately nothing ever happens over night.

Big things all start small and doing something is better than nothing.
    Your dream may seem miles away, but perhaps that is the meaning of life: to pursue your dream and achieve it. So don't let others discourage you from stepping out of your comfort zones as no one should control your life decisions.

My motivation always gets deep but my main point is: don't let work build up in life as you'll never progress. In order to move up the ladder you've got to do the work otherwise the people who are determined and get the work done will inevitably beat you. Work doesn't have to be "work" if you enjoy the subject.
    In order to tackle problems, sometimes its best to start small e.g. I spent 2 hours (ikr :\) organising my maths folder today, but NOW I feel that I can revise from it - so I got rid of the thing that was hindering me from studying.

Opportunities don't come out of nowhere, you have to find it! Create these opportunities by being more active and having the willingness to try new things - be excited by life's mysterious adventure!

I feel like my blog isn't about growing MY grades lol, but more about motivating others. Next post might be about revision strategy!

ReputationRep:
    61 days until my exam
    Things are getting serious but with organisation, I might just about survive

Goals for tonight:
    Get my History notes on politics up to scratch.
    Go over Biology - biodiversity lesson
    Catch up on graph drawing and analysis.

If time allows:
    S1 revision
    Start making biology flashcards

ReputationRep:
    It's appalling how I didn't meet any of my goals from last night.

Today I'm going to set more realistic targets:
    Do enzyme homework
    Catch up on my biology lab book - these lab books consume so much time

ReputationRep:
    So yesterday I did actually do my enzyme homework and catch up with the most recent practical in my lab book.
    But I still have so much unfinished work throughout my lab book :/

So I looked through my history notes for the first time since the start of the year only to find that my notes are half complete. Man history revision is gonna kill me.

My plan for tomorrow:

Complete History section 1 notes on politics - mindmaps, type notes
    Maths C2 revision and practice

ReputationRep:
    I just had to say that the paragraph about motivation was really useful so thank you!

At least you found out about your history notes now rather than nearer to the exams. As for not meeting goals, I know exactly what you mean...

ReputationRep:
    I just had to say that the paragraph about motivation was really useful so thank you!

At least you found out about your history notes now rather than nearer to the exams. As for not meeting goals, I know exactly what you mean...
    No problem
    How have you been with meeting your goals?

ReputationRep:
    I have to finish everything by 7:45 so I can watch my favourite TV shows tonight. I'll only watch them if I complete the following:

1. History notes on theme 1 - political
    2. Biology lab book drawings
    3. C2 maths revision

If I'm super motivated:
    4. Chemistry revision

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.