• Political Ambassador
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    PS Reviewer
    A129 - Manifesto Amendment 2016
    Proposed by: The Rt Hon. PetrosAC MP (Liberal)
    Seconded by: The Hon. Nigel Farage MEP MP (UKIP), The Rt Hon. JoeL1994 MP (Liberal), The Hon. Adam9317 MP (UKIP), The Hon. Andy98 MP (Green), The Rt Hon. Airmed MP (Liberal), The Hon. Nebelbon MP (UKIP)

Section 1 of the Guidance Document will be edited from:

“4) Manifestos submitted must be less than 450 words and may not contain videos or audio clips unless created by a member of the party in question. The Speaker will cut the manifesto at the 450 word mark if they go over.
    i) all words typed or spoken within the manifesto will be counted (this excludes the 20 word tagline).
    ii) videos and audio clips will be removed before textual content is until the word limit is met.

5) Manifestos can include up to 2 images.

6) Manifestos are allowed a 20 word tagline.”

to:

“4) Parties will be able to submit two Manifestos A shorter manifesto of no more than 450 words will be posted in the main General Election thread. A longer, optional manifesto of an unlimited length can also be submitted and will be posted by the Speaker in a thread entitled “Manifestos”. A link to this thread will be posted in the main General election thread. Manifestos submitted may not contain videos or audio clips unless created by a member of the party in question. The Speaker will cut the shorter manifesto at the 450 word mark if they go over.
    i) all words typed or spoken within the short manifesto will be counted (this excludes the 20 word tagline).
    ii) videos and audio clips will be removed before textual content is until the word limit is met.

5) Shorter Manifestos can include up to 2 images. Longer Manifestos can include any amount of images.

6) Shorter Manifestos are allowed a 20 word tagline.”
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    I'm not convinced because I'm not sure that people will read the Linder manifesto's. Unless we created an isidewith during the election and made people go through the manifestos and at the end vote for one of their top 3 it seems a little pointless.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    Nay - as Aph has said, it's unlikely that the votes that matter (ie. outside of the regulars who form the majority of votes), will actually bother to read the longer manifestos. In fact, they probably vote without even reading the shorter ones.

For those of us who would read the longer manifestos, what's the point... we already know who we're going to vote for anyway.

ReputationRep:
    Probably Aye unless someone convinces me otherwise. I get that most people won't bother reading but I just think that parties should set out their full set of policies for the term ahead in their manifesto.

ReputationRep:
    I don't mind this as it would make it easier to hold parties to account internally, if not just for the election itself

ReputationRep:
    Nay. If people are incapable of expressing their manifesto pledges in 450 words, they either have too many pledges for the amount that actually gets done, or they're incapable of expressing themselves with brevity.

Either way, I suggest that it be clarified that the longer manifestos should be linked underneath the shorter ones; the shorter ones should remain the main manifestos.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by cBay)
    Probably Aye unless someone convinces me otherwise. I get that most people won't bother reading but I just think that parties should set out their full set of policies for the term ahead in their manifesto.
    I don't see the point unless there are penalties for not fulfilling pledges. Although I would support such a move as I regard a manifesto as a contract with the People.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kay_Winters)
    I don't mind this as it would make it easier to hold parties to account internally, if not just for the election itself
    Then amend the Labour procedure.

ReputationRep:
    Nay. Don't see the point.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Nay. The current amount is sufficient for parties to set out the primary points of their manifesto.
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    I have proposed this amendment as it will make it easier to hold eachother to account whilst also making it easier to outline policies in more detail.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Nay.

I don't think there would be enough readership for the long manifestos. We all know where the parties stand, it's the non-regular voters that need guidance and I don't think they are likely to read them in great numbers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheDefiniteArticle)
    Then amend the Labour procedure.
    I meant internally within the house, poor choice of words I admit, the tories for example often point to the manifestos to ask what we, as a government, have done in office, and I feel that a longer manifesto could flesh out what each party would want to do, and allow them to be held to account better by the opposition, and also allows them to list more minor points they want to do that term

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kay_Winters)
    I meant internally within the house, poor choice of words I admit, the tories for example often point to the manifestos to ask what we, as a government, have done in office, and I feel that a longer manifesto could flesh out what each party would want to do, and allow them to be held to account better by the opposition, and also allows them to list more minor points they want to do that term
    Surely this would be a good idea if each party actually came close to putting their manifesto commitments before the House anyway?
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Aph)
    I'm not convinced because I'm not sure that people will read the Linder manifesto's. Unless we created an isidewith during the election and made people go through the manifestos and at the end vote for one of their top 3 it seems a little pointless.
    (Original post by mobbsy91)
    Nay - as Aph has said, it's unlikely that the votes that matter (ie. outside of the regulars who form the majority of votes), will actually bother to read the longer manifestos. In fact, they probably vote without even reading the shorter ones.

For those of us who would read the longer manifestos, what's the point... we already know who we're going to vote for anyway.
    Nay. If people are incapable of expressing their manifesto pledges in 450 words, they either have too many pledges for the amount that actually gets done, or they're incapable of expressing themselves with brevity.

Either way, I suggest that it be clarified that the longer manifestos should be linked underneath the shorter ones; the shorter ones should remain the main manifestos.
    (Original post by cranbrook_aspie)
    Nay. Don't see the point.
    (Original post by The Financier)
    Nay. The current amount is sufficient for parties to set out the primary points of their manifesto.
    (Original post by Saracen's Fez)
    Nay.

I don't think there would be enough readership for the long manifestos. We all know where the parties stand, it's the non-regular voters that need guidance and I don't think they are likely to read them in great numbers.
    I will also point out that the longer manifestos are optional.

If this doesn't pass the house I will be proposing a removal of the word limit.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    Surely this would be a good idea if each party actually came close to putting their manifesto commitments before the House anyway?
    Aye, lets abolish manifestos, nobody reads them anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PetrosAC)
    I will also point out that the longer manifestos are optional.

And yet it seems likely that unless they are appropriately buried, parties will be judged on whether or not they have longer manifestos. An 'optional' longer manifesto does not exist.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by PetrosAC)
    I won't be supporting that either. The word limit means that you have to focus on what exactly to say. Removing it opens the door to a lot more fluff.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aph)
    Aye, lets abolish manifestos, nobody reads them anyway.
    Eh, I'd like to think they were read. Certainly I'm still considering proposing an amendment which would ban RL likenesses to encourage voters to read manifestos rather than voting based on IRL preferences, but I don't think this would be popular, as it would require Labour, the Conservatives, UKIP and the Greens to change their party names.

ReputationRep:
    a decent point tbf, I won't be fussed either way but I think this improves the democracy of this house

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 27, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.