Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

So ive been driving for more than 3 years now and recently i have had a problem. When i change from 1st to second and second to 3rd my car over revs. But anything higher is okay (3rd to 4th etc). I am starting to think that i am losing it. But i dont think its me, i am carefully watching how much I press on the accelerator.

It revs really high when i press down on the clutch to change gear for like a second .

And thats also another issue. Everytime i get in my car in the morning and set off i hear a sort of click somewhere in my car. I cant describe the sound, but it doesnt sound good. And when break at the end of my road i hear a lot of scraping. But then its gone....he rest of the journey no clicks and scraping.

My car is dying....its only 3 years old...

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Not sure about the clicks or anything else, but I'd presume the scraping is just rust being scraped off the brake discs.

ReputationRep:
    Ditto the above, cheap brake discs begin to corrode really quickly and can have a thin lair of rust on the surface after ~24hrs of sitting. The initial grinding is just the brake pads scraping the lair of rust off of the rotor and is cmpletely normal, however if the noise continues during longer drives, get it checked out as it can indicate that there is excess wear on your brake pads which will affect your braking force, this is a cheap fix though even if there is an issue.

Clicking, no idea without hearing it, if its a soft click it could be a utility belt slipping slightly (this is common when its cold), if its a sharp click it could be an electrical relay, which really could be anything, I wouldnt worry about it.

Revs. Now dont take offense to this but my first port of call would be driver error. It is a very easy thing to do as a new driver (which im assuming you are) when trying to speed up your gear shifts to leave a little bit of pressure on the accelerator. This theory is even more validated by the fact you say its 1,2,3 gears as these are the gears you will most likely want quickly under acceleration wheras 4&5 are more cruising gears. My recommendation would be to experiment with slowing dowb your shifts making sure your right foot is completely off the accelerator when you depress the clutch.

Failing that, if its an old style throttle cable system then it could very easily be a badly adjusted throttle cable which is a 2minute job to fix with a spanner. If its a modern drive by wire unit, most places will just replace part of the throttle body than actually try to fix it, it could be caused in my opinion by a dodgy throttle body or badly adjusted potentiometer on the pedal, this could be somewhat expensive depending on the car. Although as I said my first guess would be driver error so try shifting more carefully and see what happens.

ReputationRep:
    Have you got drum brakes? They are always a bit graunchy the first couple of stops in the morning.
    Revs rising when you press the clutch is a bit odd. We'll assume it's not you being a bit slow to get your foot off the throttle and consider some mechanical possibilities....

If it were a cable clutch the cable might be moving in such a way to tug on the accelerator cable.
    If it's drive by wire you might have a dirty throttle position sensor.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 22, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.