Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Im currently a fifth year student interested in studying Law at Queens College in Cambridge. I'm aware if you're from England the requirements are three A levels at A*AA. I've seen some rumours online that this would translate to two advanced highers at A and a further higher at A in Scottish qualifications. I'm fairly confident I will get As in my higher english, biology and geography this year but feel like a lower grade in chemsitry - a subject I struggle with - will bring down my average, would Cambridge take this into account? I'll be sitting Adv. higher English and Geography in S6 and higher music and higher history, all subjects I am confident I shall also get As in, would this be enough to meet the minimum entry requirements if all goes well? I'm from a small school that wont run many advanced highers therefore I cannot sit three. Any advice from people who are also from Scotland and have applied for Cambridge or are planning it would be much appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    Not Scottish, but I know that Cambridge considers whether you get band 1 or band 2 A's in the exams you do before applying, if that's relevant.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sweeneyrod)
    Not Scottish, but I know that Cambridge considers whether you get band 1 or band 2 A's in the exams you do before applying, if that's relevant.
    Thank you that's very helpful!
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by AmyJeanManson)
    Im currently a fifth year student interested in studying Law at Queens College in Cambridge. I'm aware if you're from England the requirements are three A levels at A*AA. I've seen some rumours online that this would translate to two advanced highers at A and a further higher at A in Scottish qualifications. I'm fairly confident I will get As in my higher english, biology and geography this year but feel like a lower grade in chemsitry - a subject I struggle with - will bring down my average, would Cambridge take this into account? I'll be sitting Adv. higher English and Geography in S6 and higher music and higher history, all subjects I am confident I shall also get As in, would this be enough to meet the minimum entry requirements if all goes well? I'm from a small school that wont run many advanced highers therefore I cannot sit three. Any advice from people who are also from Scotland and have applied for Cambridge or are planning it would be much appreciated.
    Cambridge itself says:
    http://www.undergraduate.study.cam.a...qualifications

"Scottish Highers and Advanced Highers
    Offers usually require AAA at Advanced Higher Grade.
    NB: We recognise that the Scottish secondary school sector is undergoing significant curriculum reform. Please see the University's admissions policy statement on Curriculum for Excellence for information.

In some cases, two Advanced Highers and an additional Higher may be acceptable (eg when an applicant is prevented from studying more than two Advanced Highers due to reasons outside their control) – such applicants are considered on a case-by-case basis and should seek advice from the College to which they are considering applying as early as possible.

For advice about suitable subject choices see course requirements. Please note that for these purposes, Highers will satisfy AS Level subject requirements, and Advanced Highers will satisfy A Level subject requirements.

If you're studying towards a Scottish Baccalaureate qualification, you're expected to offer three Advanced Highers as part of it."

Also note that in recent years, Scottish applicants (except those for Mathematics and Medicine) achieving four SQA Higher gradesat level A1 MUST be pooled. This means those candidates can be reasonably confident they will be interviewed, assuming they are offering appropriate subjects.

ReputationRep:
    I've just seen this thread, can I ask if you applied in the end, what your grades were and if you got an offer

Poll
Are you going to a festival?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.