Turn on thread page Beta

UCL vs Manchester vs Sussex (Anthropology) watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I'm having trouble even starting to figure out which uni to firm - I love the course at UCL but I'm really worried about living in London and I don't know if I would thrive there because it's so big, the rent is ridiculous, etc. Manchester seemed very friendly when I went there, but I didn't like the course as much, however it would be much cheaper and I may be happier there because I wouldn't be worried about money. Does anyone have any opinion about this?

ReputationRep:
    Hi! I've also applied to Manchester and Sussex to do Anthropology, although in Sussex I've applied to do Anthropology and International Development. I'm still waiting to hear back from Sussex and Brunel I really loved the open day in Manchester, the uni,course,lecturers and students were all great! Despite being a big city, it's really friendly and there's always lots going on, especially for students.Plus, the course in Manchester offers a year abroad, which is a really great opportunity! Accommodation in Manchester is cheaper, I know this from friends who live there, and also my friends who are in London unis such as Royal Holloway pay crazy prices! Have you had a look at any scholarships you might be eligible for at UCL?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by smoothER)
    I'm having trouble even starting to figure out which uni to firm - I love the course at UCL but I'm really worried about living in London and I don't know if I would thrive there because it's so big, the rent is ridiculous, etc. Manchester seemed very friendly when I went there, but I didn't like the course as much, however it would be much cheaper and I may be happier there because I wouldn't be worried about money. Does anyone have any opinion about this?
    I didn't apply to Manchester or Sussex based on the fact that neither offers a broad course (bio + social anth), so I can't say much about them

I'm going to be firming UCL because I can just about squeeze out enough to live on (in **** accommodation, of course) based on the max loan + UCL bursary (that might be something to look into - I get £1500 based on household income), and I'm planning to get a part time job so that I have enough to have fun..

As far as I'm aware, London is actually more "affordable" than Sussex (i.e. Brighton is kinda expensive, not as expensive as London of course, and you don't get a bigger loan to make up for it). Not sure about Manchester though - you might want to look into it, and also into the bursaries you can get at all 3 unis.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.