The Student Room Group

Fee Classification

Hello!

I have received an offer from Uni of Birmingham a few weeks ago, and ever since one thought has been nagging me: the fact that I have been classified as an overseas student, and not a 'home' (whether EU home or not).

I have moved to the UK at the start of year 12, and I am now year 13. Year 11 in British school years, as well as the rest of my life, has been spent in a EU country which has been part of the EU for longer than 3 years (in case that matters).

To be quaified for the fee status of Home EU/UK/EEA, one would have had to either live 3 consecutive years prior to applying in a EU/EEA nation, OR live 3 consecutive years prior to applying in the UK.

Conveniently, the website for how the fee status of one is determined, has taken down that very page: www.ukcisa.org.uk/International-Students/Fees--finance/Home-or-Overseas-fees/

Either way, considering the fact that Birmingham labelled me as overseas, and interpreting the law on the source I have given to the letter, I suppose it is safe to assume that there is no way to change the fee status?

I have not emailed the university as the last time I emailed them they needed one month and a half to get back to me.

Any help would be immensely appreciated; thank you for your time and consideration.
Original post by Caius Filimon
Hello!

I have received an offer from Uni of Birmingham a few weeks ago, and ever since one thought has been nagging me: the fact that I have been classified as an overseas student, and not a 'home' (whether EU home or not).

I have moved to the UK at the start of year 12, and I am now year 13. Year 11 in British school years, as well as the rest of my life, has been spent in a EU country which has been part of the EU for longer than 3 years (in case that matters).

To be quaified for the fee status of Home EU/UK/EEA, one would have had to either live 3 consecutive years prior to applying in a EU/EEA nation, OR live 3 consecutive years prior to applying in the UK.

Conveniently, the website for how the fee status of one is determined, has taken down that very page: www.ukcisa.org.uk/International-Students/Fees--finance/Home-or-Overseas-fees/

Either way, considering the fact that Birmingham labelled me as overseas, and interpreting the law on the source I have given to the letter, I suppose it is safe to assume that there is no way to change the fee status?

I have not emailed the university as the last time I emailed them they needed one month and a half to get back to me.

Any help would be immensely appreciated; thank you for your time and consideration.

Have you filled out a fee status questionnaire for Birmingham?

If you have then they are unlikely to change your fee status.

If you haven't then contact and ask if you can have your fee status assessed - they'll send you a questionnaire to fill out.

UKCISA haven't removed that content - they've redesigned their webpage so the address is no longer valid. The content is still available http://www.ukcisa.org.uk/Information--Advice/Fees-and-Money/England-fee-status#layer-3324 and http://www.ukcisa.org.uk/Information--Advice/Fees-and-Money/England-fee-status#layer-3440 should help you work out if you meet the criteria for home fees.
Original post by PQ
Have you filled out a fee status questionnaire for Birmingham?

If you have then they are unlikely to change your fee status.

If you haven't then contact and ask if you can have your fee status assessed - they'll send you a questionnaire to fill out.

UKCISA haven't removed that content - they've redesigned their webpage so the address is no longer valid. The content is still available http://www.ukcisa.org.uk/Information--Advice/Fees-and-Money/England-fee-status#layer-3324 and http://www.ukcisa.org.uk/Information--Advice/Fees-and-Money/England-fee-status#layer-3440 should help you work out if you meet the criteria for home fees.

Thank you very much for your reply and help!

I suppose I will be forced to contact them. However, could you please give your own interpretation of the 'EU nationals in the UK'? Would you say that universities consider these sorts of requirements strictly and interpret them to the letter, or would they allow some flexibility in their interpretations?

For EU nationals in the UK it says quite clearly that I would have had to be a UK resident for three years prior to the first university course year, ignoring whether I would have lived in the EU/EEA previous to that as long as I have an EU citizenship.

Your opinion would be greatly appreciated!

Quick Reply

Latest