Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I am currently studying BTEC extended diploma in Business in college and have been accepted to study Law in September. I have heard a lot of people saying BTECs are the easy way out. I am starting to worry whether I will be able to cope at University with all of the exams? If I try my best will I be able to leave with at least a 2:1? I have no problem with motivation as i am always motivated and trying my hardest.

ReputationRep:
    As long as you try your hardest, you'll be fine. I hate that people put BTECs down, they probably give you more skills than other qualifications. Don't doubt yourself.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lilacwanda28)
    As long as you try your hardest, you'll be fine. I hate that people put BTECs down, they probably give you more skills than other qualifications. Don't doubt yourself.
    thanks for your help, are you a student? And did you study a BTEC?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dickinson458)
    thanks for your help, are you a student? And did you study a BTEC?
    yep I'm a second year student, but I didn't do BTECs. I just think it's really unfair to judge people depending on the qualifications they do. My cousin was more suited to BTECs but did A-Levels because of the peer pressure and didn't do too well. Do what's best for you and try your hardest. That's all you can do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lilacwanda28)
    yep I'm a second year student, but I didn't do BTECs. I just think it's really unfair to judge people depending on the qualifications they do. My cousin was more suited to BTECs but did A-Levels because of the peer pressure and didn't do too well. Do what's best for you and try your hardest. That's all you can do.
    Again, thanks for your help, you have put my mind at rest. Are you studying Law? If so, How did you find first year? And if you don't mind me asking, what did you get in your A-levels?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dickinson458)
    Again, thanks for your help, you have put my mind at rest. Are you studying Law? If so, How did you find first year? And if you don't mind me asking, what did you get in your A-levels?
    sorry, but I'm doing English. I got 4 As and an A in my EPQ. Just do your best and do listen to anyone else's judgments.

ReputationRep:
    Take it from someone who has studied DOUBLE AWARD BTEC IT and A level in Law. Currently in final year of Law.
    DONT even worry about what other people might say about doing BTEC in my opinion its equally as hard as doing exams.
    I've had such a wonderful experience studying law at uni. Especially in my first year, you will at one point get to visit courts (Criminal courts or magistrates courts) and draw up a report of what you have seen etc. Its even more rewarding if you have the right level of enthusiasm and the eager to learn more about the law. You'll also be participating in mootings (role play of being in 'court') you can either represent the defendant or the claimant. It gave me the chance to meet new people and also share my knowledge and vice versa. Till this day I randomly sit in court hearings just because every cases are different and its interesting to hear the judgements being made. You will love it I'm sure. Some modules will consist of different components such as 40% exams 40% coursework 20% portfolios. So don't be disheartened with exam stress because most modules aren't strictly 100% exams. Good luck !!

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.