Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi...
    I am moving to London this summer for my MA. Currently I am working on a budget that is as realistic aspossible. Therefore I have checked several student budgeting sites etc., but Iwould love to hear from you guys what you think is a proper amount per month(without accomodation, tuition and insurance)? I am not asking for "how low can you go", but more for... how much do you need to have a reasonable life?So this is my budget (per month):340£ food
    100£ non-food (laundry, cleaning-stuff, shampoo, shower-gel, make-up etc.)
    25£ sim-only-contract
    55£ public transport
    500£ everything else (social stuff, drinks, movies, clothes..)

What do you think? Did I miss anything? Did I go to high, to low..?

Thanks!!
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by swissmiss88)
    Hi...
    I am moving to London this summer for my MA. Currently I am working on a budget that is as realistic aspossible. Therefore I have checked several student budgeting sites etc., but Iwould love to hear from you guys what you think is a proper amount per month(without accomodation, tuition and insurance)? I am not asking for "how low can you go", but more for... how much do you need to have a reasonable life?So this is my budget (per month):340£ food
    100£ non-food (laundry, cleaning-stuff, shampoo, shower-gel, make-up etc.)
    25£ sim-only-contract
    55£ public transport
    500£ everything else (social stuff, drinks, movies, clothes..)

What do you think? Did I miss anything? Did I go to high, to low..?

Thanks!!
    £85 a week for food is way too high, I d say half that at least

ReputationRep:
    You're spending £1020 a month. What is your plan on funding that level of spending? I think that your budget is very high for a student. Is there a reason you want to spend £500 / month on clothing and miscellaneous items?

I live on €500/month which is above average compared to the people I know. However, it is your choice what you want to spend your money on and you've decided on a lavish lifestyle.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by claireestelle)
    £85 a week for food is way too high, I d say half that at least
    Thank you very much for your estimation!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eniet)
    You're spending £1020 a month. What is your plan on funding that level of spending? I think that your budget is very high for a student. Is there a reason you want to spend £500 / month on clothing and miscellaneous items?

I live on €500/month which is above average compared to the people I know. However, it is your choice what you want to spend your money on and you've decided on a lavish lifestyle.

Thank you very much for your comment and sharing your experiences with spending money in London. That helps me a lot.

Please don't get me wrong.. I don't WANT to spend that amount of money. As I said: I am currently working on a budget and try to make sure that I don't make a budget which is unrealistic. This is why I would like to get a feeling for what is a "tight" and what's a "good" budget for London.

So no need to accuse me of a "lavish lifestyle" just because I ask how much money a life in city I don't know costs. Since you asked... I've been working the past years and therefore could save enough of money to finance my MA in London.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by swissmiss88)
    Thank you very much for your comment and sharing your experiences with spending money in London. That helps me a lot.

Please don't get me wrong.. I don't WANT to spend that amount of money. As I said: I am currently working on a budget and try to make sure that I don't make a budget which is unrealistic. This is why I would like to get a feeling for what is a "tight" and what's a "good" budget for London.

So no need to accuse me of a "lavish lifestyle" just because I ask how much money a life in city I don't know costs. Since you asked... I've been working the past years and therefore could save enough of money to finance my MA in London.
    No accusing! This was more to give you a perspective among many others I hope you'll get on this thread

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 22, 2016
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to finance and bankingGuide to accountancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

ICAEW

"Choose a career journey with limitless possibilities."

Quick link:

Unanswered finance and accountancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.