The Student Room Group

What is "proper" student budget?

Hi...
I am moving to London this summer for my MA. Currently I am working on a budget that is as realistic aspossible. Therefore I have checked several student budgeting sites etc., but Iwould love to hear from you guys what you think is a proper amount per month(without accomodation, tuition and insurance)? I am not asking for "how low can you go", but more for... how much do you need to have a reasonable life?So this is my budget (per month):340£ food
100£ non-food (laundry, cleaning-stuff, shampoo, shower-gel, make-up etc.)
25£ sim-only-contract
55£ public transport
500£ everything else (social stuff, drinks, movies, clothes..)

What do you think? Did I miss anything? Did I go to high, to low..?

Thanks!!
Original post by swissmiss88
Hi...
I am moving to London this summer for my MA. Currently I am working on a budget that is as realistic aspossible. Therefore I have checked several student budgeting sites etc., but Iwould love to hear from you guys what you think is a proper amount per month(without accomodation, tuition and insurance)? I am not asking for "how low can you go", but more for... how much do you need to have a reasonable life?So this is my budget (per month):340£ food
100£ non-food (laundry, cleaning-stuff, shampoo, shower-gel, make-up etc.)
25£ sim-only-contract
55£ public transport
500£ everything else (social stuff, drinks, movies, clothes..)

What do you think? Did I miss anything? Did I go to high, to low..?

Thanks!!

£85 a week for food is way too high, I d say half that at least
Reply 2
You're spending £1020 a month. What is your plan on funding that level of spending? I think that your budget is very high for a student. Is there a reason you want to spend £500 / month on clothing and miscellaneous items?

I live on €500/month which is above average compared to the people I know. However, it is your choice what you want to spend your money on and you've decided on a lavish lifestyle.
Reply 3
Original post by claireestelle
£85 a week for food is way too high, I d say half that at least

Thank you very much for your estimation!
Reply 4
Original post by eniet
You're spending £1020 a month. What is your plan on funding that level of spending? I think that your budget is very high for a student. Is there a reason you want to spend £500 / month on clothing and miscellaneous items?

I live on €500/month which is above average compared to the people I know. However, it is your choice what you want to spend your money on and you've decided on a lavish lifestyle.

Thank you very much for your comment and sharing your experiences with spending money in London. That helps me a lot.

Please don't get me wrong.. I don't WANT to spend that amount of money. As I said: I am currently working on a budget and try to make sure that I don't make a budget which is unrealistic. This is why I would like to get a feeling for what is a "tight" and what's a "good" budget for London.

So no need to accuse me of a "lavish lifestyle" just because I ask how much money a life in city I don't know costs. Since you asked... I've been working the past years and therefore could save enough of money to finance my MA in London.
Reply 5
Original post by swissmiss88
Thank you very much for your comment and sharing your experiences with spending money in London. That helps me a lot.

Please don't get me wrong.. I don't WANT to spend that amount of money. As I said: I am currently working on a budget and try to make sure that I don't make a budget which is unrealistic. This is why I would like to get a feeling for what is a "tight" and what's a "good" budget for London.

So no need to accuse me of a "lavish lifestyle" just because I ask how much money a life in city I don't know costs. Since you asked... I've been working the past years and therefore could save enough of money to finance my MA in London.

No accusing! This was more to give you a perspective among many others I hope you'll get on this thread :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest