Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I'm a mature student, studied law before and been living in the UK for years now. I've always been interested in medicine and really considering to start prepping for a med school application this year.

I have done A-levels prior in my country of origin (EU), however my selected subject weren't science based at the time, as for law I didn't need those. So, I reckon I'd need to complete at least Biology and Chemistry A levels here in the UK.

Could you please recommend a good self-study book for these two subjects, especially in regards to medical degree? (if such relation can be made...I have no idea of the A level course books in general. I know at the time prepping for law, we'd need to pick different history books than prospective history bachelors, as our entry history exam questions were a bit different.)

I did of course do a Google search and read recommendations from different sites, but everybody seems to be suggesting different books and at this stage I'm just getting more and more confused. Thought this would be a good place to ask.

Cheers

ReputationRep:
    It depends on which board you wanna do, but there is pretty much always an "official" textbook for each board like for CIE Chemistry - http://education.cambridge.org/as/su...second-edition) this is used. One is pretty much all you need and it's pretty simple to understand. Just memorise it back to front then do a lot of past paper and that was more than enough for me for an A*. If there's anything you don't understand look up on Chemguide (http://www.chemguide.co.uk/), it gives different approaches to explanation and is a bit more detailed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by avanik)
    Hi,

I'm a mature student, studied law before and been living in the UK for years now. I've always been interested in medicine and really considering to start prepping for a med school application this year.

I have done A-levels prior in my country of origin (EU), however my selected subject weren't science based at the time, as for law I didn't need those. So, I reckon I'd need to complete at least Biology and Chemistry A levels here in the UK.

Could you please recommend a good self-study book for these two subjects, especially in regards to medical degree? (if such relation can be made...I have no idea of the A level course books in general. I know at the time prepping for law, we'd need to pick different history books than prospective history bachelors, as our entry history exam questions were a bit different.)

I did of course do a Google search and read recommendations from different sites, but everybody seems to be suggesting different books and at this stage I'm just getting more and more confused. Thought this would be a good place to ask.

Cheers
    If you are a graduate, you can apply for graduate entry courses, many of which do not require actual a levels in sciences.

However, some require an entrance exam called the GAMSAT, which has a science section. This is quite different content from a levels though, so you're better off using specific resources of you decide to do that entrance exam.

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.