Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi im just personally wondering if I am ready for my driving test which is next week. I had a lesson just a couple of days ago and I had problems with roundabouts in that I sometimes mistakenly forgot to signal when exiting and i became slightly confused on how to approach it such as when to change gears.
    My instructor said i approached the roundabouts quite fast which led to me being quite confused wen to go. However that was it and I dont think I have any more problems as to driving its just round abouts have always been my weakness. Sorry about the long talk but any advice would be appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    We can't tell you if you're ready or not, that has to be decided between you and your instructor.

ReputationRep:
    Roundabouts were my weakness. Once I slowed down my approach and started preparing earlier they become a lot easier. Start slowing earlier, get second earlier so you have time to do check the roundabout and mirrors etc without having to worry about gears.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Goodluck2u)
    Roundabouts were my weakness. Once I slowed down my approach and started preparing earlier they become a lot easier. Start slowing earlier, get second earlier so you have time to do check the roundabout and mirrors etc without having to worry about gears.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    They were my weakness and the only thing I worried about but it turns out to be the easiest of them all....

Posted from TSR Mobile

remember to be in the right lane and if you need to change lane do all your signals and checks etc

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Goodluck2u)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thanks for the advice. My instructor did say something similar and so yeah in my next and final lesson before my test I will plan ahead such as approaching slowly and coming into second more quickly. How's it going for you have you passed or still taking lessons.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jamesd678)
    remember to be in the right lane and if you need to change lane do all your signals and checks etc
    Thanks for the advice. I will plan ahead such as approaching slowly and coming into second more quickly and making sure im in the right lane. How's it going for you have you passed or still taking lessons.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by XMaramena)
    We can't tell you if you're ready or not, that has to be decided between you and your instructor.
    Obviously I know that I'm just looking for collective opinions as to whether its a major or minor problem to have with my driving test approaching soon.

ReputationRep:
    Just stay calm and remember everything you've learnt, try and get your instructor to go with you as well for help.

ReputationRep:
    Approach the roundabout in 2nd gear, if you see a car coming on your right - come to a complete stop. If there are no cars, proceed with caution. I found 2nd gear created the best speed, not too fast or too slow

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Subzer009)
    Obviously I know that I'm just looking for collective opinions as to whether its a major or minor problem to have with my driving test approaching soon.
    Well, back when I was doing my tests, I failed roundabouts 3 times. Although I was at a disadvantage because I'd already been driving 2 years abroad where the rules regarding roundabouts were different. For example, the lanes were designated to vehicle type, not the exit you were taking. And you indicated left (inside) until you were coming up to the exit, at which point swap to indicating right (to exit). It was the major difference in traffic rules, that I was just doing instinctively, that screwed me up. Also was used to a much more aggressive style of driving, so I got a few faults on things like causing people to slow down and such like.

Thanks for the advice. I will plan ahead such as approaching slowly and coming into second more quickly and making sure im in the right lane. How's it going for you have you passed or still taking lessons.
    passed in november last year and been driving since december, you will realise when you pass it becomes allot easier to drive as you don't have any pressure on you etc and can basically drive however you want lol. i remember on my test i was in the wrong lane on the roundabout and went round it again and then had to manoeuvre into the other lane, luckily passed first time thought i failed though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ekno)
    Approach the roundabout in 2nd gear, if you see a car coming on your right - come to a complete stop. If there are no cars, proceed with caution. I found 2nd gear created the best speed, not too fast or too slow
    Yeah I need to be ready at second gear beforehand so I could do my observations thoroughly. Itz the best gear for a normal roundabout as it provides a steady speed and so allows to the necessary checks while going around in a roundabout. So what's your story have you passed or still waiting to like me.;-

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I need to be ready at second gear beforehand so I could do my observations thoroughly. Itz the best gear for a normal roundabout as it provides a steady speed and so allows to the necessary checks while going around in a roundabout. So what's your story have you passed or still waiting to like me.;-
    yeah i passed september '14, didnt get my car until last April so pretty much had to go to a car park and learn from scratch again. Confidence in driving comes with experience, im fine with normal driving and bay parking because i do it all the time to work. But i never have to parallel park or park by the kerb so im really **** at it hahaha

ReputationRep:
    As has been said above:

- approach in 2nd gear and by the time you're 2 - 3 car lengths from the roundabout have your speed down to around 10 - 15mph so that you're giving yourself time to look all around the roundabout, and not just to the right, and stop if necessary. If it's good to go, no need to stop but do not enter the roundabout if there's other road users who will be travelling faster than you and if you pull out on them then it's likely to result in a fail.

- looking all around is going to help you decide if there's any blockers that will be helpful to you - e.g. buses or HGVs

- look for signals from other road users, whether that's indicators or wheel position, speed etc. these will give you clues as to where the road user is going.

- remember people regularly do not use their indicators on roundabouts so you may have to rely on other clues to determine where they are going.

- do not cut into other lanes. Very common cause to fail the test. For example if you're going straight ahead and the left lane is the correct lane (dependent on road markings / signs) do not cut into the middle/right lanes - if there's no other road user it would be a driving fault, if there's another road user in that lane then it's likely to be a serious, potentially dangerous, fault and thus a fail. See it all too often on the run up to tests

- look at road signs and markings in advance and get into your lane as soon as you can before the roundabout.

Also something to be aware of, if for example you and a road user at the road to your right enter the roundabout at the same time then the examiner should take into account that you will be slower than the experienced driver and allow you a couple of seconds leeway - yes, you might slow the other road user down, but as long as it's not excessive then no fault will be recorded.

If you enter the roundabout after the road user from the right then you'll potentially have a fault recorded, the severity of which will depend on the circumstances at that time.

I've had people fail a mock test a couple of days before their test, due to cutting lanes on a roundabout, and then go onto pass their test 1st time on the day. So even if you're making some mistakes up to the test, don't be disheartened - you don't need to have a perfect drive, just one that doesn't impact negatively on any other road users, so don't make them stop, swerve, steer or swear!

Above all, relax - easier said than done I know. Examiners aren't setting out to fail you, no matter what anyone tells you, and they want you to pass as it looks better for their test centre stats. They're not going to trick you into making mistakes so the more relaxed and confident you're feeling the better the test will go.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ekno)
    yeah i passed september '14, didnt get my car until last April so pretty much had to go to a car park and learn from scratch again. Confidence in driving comes with experience, im fine with normal driving and bay parking because i do it all the time to work. But i never have to parallel park or park by the kerb so im really **** at it hahaha
    Congratz on passing.:-)Btw you rarely use the corner reverse manoeuvre and so don't need to worry about it too much. Plus you can learn it in your own time.

ReputationRep:
    Congratz on passing.:-)Btw you rarely use the corner reverse manoeuvre and so don't need to worry about it too much. Plus you can learn it in your own time.
    yeah im fine with reversing, just parking on the side of the road is a pain

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.