Social Psychology not a science? Watch

Gebigum
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hi! I would like to know why Social Psychology is not considered a Science. Is it because there are many factors like the interactions between people that may affect behaviour so it is hard to establish cause and effect?
cherryred90s
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Gebigum)
Hi! I would like to know why Social Psychology is not considered a Science. Is it because there are many factors like the interactions between people that may affect behaviour so it is hard to establish cause and effect?
Science uses objective and empirical data that can not be manipulated by external variables. Natural sciences can easily establish a cause and effect relationship whereas social sciences cannot. Psychology predominantly relies on subjective data because thoughts/perceptions/emotions and feelings are often manipulated and social psychology especially because it is interested in how social interaction with others can impact upon our own mind.
Worth remembering that psychology as a whole is the study of the mind. The mind is something that cannot be seen or objectively experimented on so we often have to deduce conclusions from what we are told by the participants, which is not very reliable due to individual differences & experiences.

Source: 2 years worth of psych at A level.
Gebigum
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
(Original post by cherryred90s)
Science uses objective and empirical data that can not be manipulated by external variables. Natural sciences can easily establish a cause and effect relationship whereas social sciences cannot. Psychology predominantly relies on subjective data because thoughts/perceptions/emotions and feelings are often manipulated and social psychology especially because it is interested in how social interaction with others can impact upon our own mind.
Worth remembering that psychology as a whole is the study of the mind. The mind is something that cannot be seen or objectively experimented on so we often have to deduce conclusions from what we are told by the participants, which is not very reliable due to individual differences & experiences.

Source: 2 years worth of psych at A level.
Thank you!
iammichealjackson
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
A bit of an oversimplification above. Social psychologists can often run randomised controlled experiments to establish cause and effect just like medical scientists, and use objective outcomes such as behaviour, biological markers, etc. I'm sure if its just a level though you could make the above argument fine but its not really right.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Edge Hill University
    Undergraduate and Postgraduate - Campus Tour Undergraduate
    Mon, 18 Feb '19
  • University of the Arts London
    MA Innovation Management Open Day Postgraduate
    Mon, 18 Feb '19
  • University of Roehampton
    Department of Media, Culture and Language; School of Education; Business School Undergraduate
    Tue, 19 Feb '19

Do you give blood?

Yes (61)
8.65%
I used to but I don't now (17)
2.41%
No, but I want to start (265)
37.59%
No, I am unable to (167)
23.69%
No, I chose not to (195)
27.66%