Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I messed up my first year by handing in my assignments within a week late of the deadline which means that they will all be capped at 40%. I still receive my original grade which are all between 62-68%.
    I'm very frustrated with myself and have promised myself to work harder in2nd year. I'm very disappointed with myself but I know I deserve it for handing in everything late. I might pass first year with either a 3rd or if I'm lucky a 2.2.

How bad is this?
    Will I ever get a job?
    What does the average student average with in first year?
    What did you average with in first year?

p.s sorry for all the questions, I'm panicking.

ReputationRep:
    It looks bad but you are judged on your final degree classification. You can still turn it around and there is no reason why you can't graduate with a 2:1 or higher.

However you really need to change your attitude towards completing work on time now. I've seen a few quite capable students get into bad habits during their first year and not changed their behaviour. Going into our final 3 months, they are pretty much resigned to getting a poor degree classification. Try not to be one of those kids.

ReputationRep:
    First year I just about scraped through an average of 61. I'm hoping to do better this year, but am nowhere near a first

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rox1995)
    I messed up my first year by handing in my assignments within a week late of the deadline which means that they will all be capped at 40%. I still receive my original grade which are all between 62-68%.
    I'm very frustrated with myself and have promised myself to work harder in2nd year. I'm very disappointed with myself but I know I deserve it for handing in everything late. I might pass first year with either a 3rd or if I'm lucky a 2.2.

How bad is this?
    Will I ever get a job?
    What does the average student average with in first year?
    What did you average with in first year?

p.s sorry for all the questions, I'm panicking.
    Don't panic. Depending on your uni, first year probably doesn't even count towards your overall classification. So check that out first before you panic.
    If it does count, it'll usually only be a small percentage, like 10% max. So use this as a lesson on what not to do in the next two years. First year is just to ease you in. By the sounds of it, you sound able, you just need to improve on time management.

It shouldn't affect you job wise. It may affect you if you apply for jobs related now, such as for placement years and what not, but you can easily explain that it's just a timing issue (but try and say it in a good way).

My average for first year was a B (didn't have percentages in first year), which is a 2:1. I'm not sure what the average student gets in first year, probably 2:2s or 2:1s. Some may get 1st's, but it just depends on how much they try. If you got 68%, that's borderline first, so you have the ability.

Just learn from your mistake and make sure you submit before the deadline. Use timetables to help you get organised, set reminders etc. You can still end up leaving uni with a good grade regardless of your performance in first year.

sorry for rambling

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys. I'm hoping to pass my degree and in order to do that, I have to do a research project! I was wondering if anyone would be able to fill out my online questionnaire. It's great procrastination . Here's the link: https://bathreg.onlinesurveys.ac.uk/...up-2-2016-copy

Sorry for hijacking the thread!!

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.