Hate speech and offensive language are flawed concepts watch

• TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    My opinion that yes, it should be illegal to incite violence against a particular marginalised group.

But this does not mean that certain words are inherently offensive or should be banned because they're considered hate speech. If one, for example were to use the n-word, no harm would befall a person of African descent. It would be their choice to be offended.

It's so arbitrary and leads to people wondering whether x is "hate speech". That makes no sense to me. You should not have to wonder whether what you say is hate speech or offensive because it is your intent that matters.

Those who disagree with me, why do you hold your particular view?

ReputationRep:
    Last time I said that I got called into a meeting with the vice principal of my uni... But I still agree with it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    'Hate speech' has always been a worrying concept to me. It's a term that's incredibly subjective and easily abused. Personally, aside from libel and making sincere threats of violence, I don't think it should be against the law to make somebody feel uncomfortable or offended by something that has been said. We are getting the law too involved with our day-to-day speech and activities at the expense of our freedoms and our own adulthood. It used to be, when somebody offended you, that you'd either ignore them or tell them to take a hike. Now people run to the authorities like little children, playing victim cards and identity politics to get their own way.

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.