Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Just got a TC Rejection - thinking about what to do next? (GDL Self funding?) Watch

ReputationRep:
    Background:
    - Final (3rd) year Engineering student at UCL, about to graduate with a 2.i, A-Lvls at A*AB (chem, maths, f.maths)
    - No legal experience (vac schemes, open days etc.), however do run my own business, have done since I was 17-current (21 next month)
    - Just got rejected for a TC after assessment day at Clifford Chance (only law firm I applied to) for 2018 entry

Objective:
    - Want to land a TC for 2018 entry with a top firm

Uncertainties:
    - Determine whether I should apply for more TCs now or whether I should apply for Vac Schemes (worried because 1 application per 12 months)
    - Determine whether I should apply for GDL at BPP and self-fund, aiming to land a TC or VS during course of GDL

-----

What do u guys think?

ReputationRep:
    Applying to one firm is always risky as you may not get an invite or may even have an off day at an AC.

Try for more firms before July - you will be able to get several applications done from now.

Don't give up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by O'Doyle Rules)
    Applying to one firm is always risky as you may not get an invite or may even have an off day at an AC.

Try for more firms before July - you will be able to get several applications done from now.

Don't give up.
    I find the way you wrote your comment very reassuring. Thank you.
    There are still firms offering NONLaw training contracts (2018) now? :O
    Any spring to mind?

Do u recommend I go straight for the TC instead of the VS, seeing as I was able to get to AC at CC with no VS?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GreenOut)
    Background:
    - Final (3rd) year Engineering student at UCL, about to graduate with a 2.i, A-Lvls at A*AB (chem, maths, f.maths)
    - No legal experience (vac schemes, open days etc.), however do run my own business, have done since I was 17-current (21 next month)
    - Just got rejected for a TC after assessment day at Clifford Chance (only law firm I applied to) for 2018 entry

Objective:

Uncertainties:
    - Determine whether I should apply for more TCs now or whether I should apply for Vac Schemes (worried because 1 application per 12 months)
    - Determine whether I should apply for GDL at BPP and self-fund, aiming to land a TC or VS during course of GDL

-----

What do u guys think?
    The main issue is that for many of the "top" firms applications to non-law applicants are now closed for 2018. You will need to consider 2019 entry instead.

You therefore will have the best part of 10-11 months before applications close for the 2019 entry.

My advice would be to gain more work experience - whether this is through formal vac schemes, open days, informal work shadowing, in-house legal teams etc.

In my opinion the decision to go for the GDL without really experiencing the job is risky. Are you really willing to invest £15,000-20,000 (considering minimum living expenses during the time studying + course fees) into a career you haven't actually experienced?

Also, get feedback from CC as to why you were unsuccessful. This will help you with future assessments.

ReputationRep:
    Hi, Vac schemes recruit for the year you applied in, right? (So, a 2016 application will be for a 2016 Vac Scheme?)

Also, for the GDL, I know it is expensive, however I will "only" have to pay course fees (money I have saved), as I can live at home with parents rent-free. My business will also cover my living costs, so I should be fine in terms of finances...

From CC, I understand that my competency interview went rather well, however the case study, not so. They detailed it to me and I have it written somewhere on my phone.

Finally, please correct me if I'm mistaken, but there are still some top firms recruiting now I think, for example Hogan Lovells?

(Original post by J-SP)
    The main issue is that for many of the "top" firms applications to non-law applicants are now closed for 2018. You will need to consider 2019 entry instead.

You therefore will have the best part of 10-11 months before applications close for the 2019 entry.

My advice would be to gain more work experience - whether this is through formal vac schemes, open days, informal work shadowing, in-house legal teams etc.

In my opinion the decision to go for the GDL without really experiencing the job is risky. Are you really willing to invest £15,000-20,000 (considering minimum living expenses during the time studying + course fees) into a career you haven't actually experienced?

Also, get feedback from CC as to why you were unsuccessful. This will help you with future assessments.

ReputationRep:
    Hi, Vac schemes recruit for the year you applied in, right? (So, a 2016 application will be for a 2016 Vac Scheme?)

Also, for the GDL, I know it is expensive, however I will "only" have to pay course fees (money I have saved), as I can live at home with parents rent-free. My business will also cover my living costs, so I should be fine in terms of finances...

From CC, I understand that my competency interview went rather well, however the case study, not so. They detailed it to me and I have it written somewhere on my phone.

Finally, please correct me if I'm mistaken, but there are still some top firms recruiting now I think, for example Hogan Lovells?
    A lot of the 2016 vac schemes are closed - many close in January, so if you haven't got active applications you might have missed out. There might be the odd firm that is still open.

Yes HL is one of the few firms still open to non-law applicants for TCs - many have closed though.

ReputationRep:
    Background:

Objective:

Uncertainties:

-----

What do u guys think?

Applying only to Clifford Chance and then rushing to self-fund the GDL when you don't get through is crazy. Focus on getting some legal experience and applying to more firms next round.

ReputationRep:
    first of all you need to apply to a lot more firms and also get on some open days. Aspiring solicitors could get you started on a few and more are put on there each month.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by TurboCretin)
    Applying only to Clifford Chance and then rushing to self-fund the GDL when you don't get through is crazy. Focus on getting some legal experience and applying to more firms next round.
    This^

Exactly the conclusion I came to.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I'm very surprised that a 3rd year engineering student with no legal work experience would consider committing to the GDL. How can you know it's the career for you without experiencing it, especially when it's so different to your past..

Do you have any work experience, aside from running your own business?

I would focus on applying for winter workshops/vacation schemes, with a view to securing a TC for 2019, starting the GDL in Sept 2017.

EDIT: Well done on the CC AC, but be careful not to assume that you'll have no problem securing interviews elsewhere. It's very difficult to demonstrate your interest in law, with no experience, especially if you're from a non-legal background. Offering a TC is a massive investment so firms will want to make sure that it's the right decision for both parties.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.