Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Stall when changing gear watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Whenever I change the gear, the car stalls. Utterly confused. Any ideas?

ReputationRep:
    You might be taking your foot off the clutch too quickly when changing gears? That might be the problem but I'm no expert XD

ReputationRep:
    Are you changing gears at low speed? If so, this can cause the car to stall. Like if I change into 3rd gear and my speed drops below 15ish mph, my car will judder then eventually stall

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Don Pedro K.)
    You might be taking your foot off the clutch too quickly when changing gears? That might be the problem but I'm no expert XD
    There is no clutch.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ekno)
    Are you changing gears at low speed? If so, this can cause the car to stall. Like if I change into 3rd gear and my speed drops below 15ish mph, my car will judder then eventually stall
    (Should probably take this opportunity to mention it's an automatic, but stalls whenever I change with the paddle shifter or when changing between Drive, Reverse and Neutral.)

ReputationRep:
    That sounds very much like it needs a trip to the garage. What type of car is it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KCLeblanc)
    That sounds very much like it needs a trip to the garage. What type of car is it?
    Brand new MB C220, got about 500 miles on it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by XMaramena)
    Brand new MB C220, got about 500 miles on it.
    It'll be under warranty then I take it? You are right to be confuse because it shouldn't happen. Contact the dealer.

ReputationRep:
    (Should probably take this opportunity to mention it's an automatic, but stalls whenever I change with the paddle shifter or when changing between Drive, Reverse and Neutral.)
    oh wow, yeah that definitely needs to go to a garage then

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ekno)
    FML. I don't need this right now lol

I've just read somewhere that cold temperatures can highlight issues with transmission fluid, whatever that means.

ReputationRep:
    First world problems...

ReputationRep:
    FML. I don't need this right now lol

I've just read somewhere that cold temperatures can highlight issues with transmission fluid, whatever that means.
    get it checked out to be on the safe side

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ekno)
    get it checked out to be on the safe side
    I'll have to talk to HR. Don't know how to go about garaging this car.

ReputationRep:
    Does it stall when it changes gear, or when you release the throttle? If it stalls when the throttle closes that suggests an idle air control issue. In any case, it sounds like a case of electrical gremlins which are much better left to the manufacturer if it's within warranty!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CurlyBen)
    Does it stall when it changes gear, or when you release the throttle? If it stalls when the throttle closes that suggests an idle air control issue. In any case, it sounds like a case of electrical gremlins which are much better left to the manufacturer if it's within warranty!
    It stalls when changing gear, either by selecting a different drive position, or when using the paddle shifters.

Yes, it's only 3 months old.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Talon)
    It'll be under warranty then I take it? You are right to be confuse because it shouldn't happen. Contact the dealer.
    (Original post by Ekno)
    Mbrace got me booked in at a local service garage this evening, diagnosed as some computer fault - it was activating the auto start-stop function whenever clutching in. Fixed in like 3 minutes. I honestly think they just... turned it off and on again. Or maybe a firmware reset?

ReputationRep:
    Mbrace got me booked in at a local service garage this evening, diagnosed as some computer fault - it was activating the auto start-stop function whenever clutching in. Fixed in like 3 minutes. I honestly think they just... turned it off and on again. Or maybe a firmware reset?
    Possibly a software update. Certainly sounds like it's not an uncommon issue if they diagnosed it that fast. The biggest criticism I have of the trend to make everything ECU controlled these days is there's just no way to know everything that's going on in that box without going back to the manufacturer. Virtually anything mechanical can be reverse engineered, electronics are a whole different kettle of fish.

ReputationRep:
    Possibly a software update. Certainly sounds like it's not an uncommon issue if they diagnosed it that fast. The biggest criticism I have of the trend to make everything ECU controlled these days is there's just no way to know everything that's going on in that box without going back to the manufacturer. Virtually anything mechanical can be reverse engineered, electronics are a whole different kettle of fish.
    Well Mbrace can look into things for you remotely, get into the system and stuff. So I think they pre-diagnosed it so the mechanic knew what to look for straight away.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.