The Student Room Group
Bournemouth University students in library, Talbot campus
Bournemouth University
Poole

Life at Bournemouth University

Hey everyone! :biggrin:

I'm Chris and I am a second year student ambassador studying Marketing at Bournemouth University. I am also an ambassador for the student union!

I wanted to set a up a thread where any student thinking about coming to BU later on this year could ask some of the current students to find out more - I definitely found it really helpful getting a students opinion of Bournemouth. So feel free to ask anything you wanted to find out about (nightlife, part-time jobs, volunteering, clubs and societies, extra curricular activites, things to do in Bournemouth etc.

Thanks
Chris :biggrin:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Old people and seagulls. :wink:
Bournemouth University students in library, Talbot campus
Bournemouth University
Poole
Reply 2
Original post by stefano865
Old people and seagulls. :wink:

There's loads more than that! :biggrin:
Reply 3
Original post by CBowditch
There's loads more than that! :biggrin:

I know. :biggrin:

I actually like Bournemouth.

Just couldn't stop myself. :tongue:

Spoiler

Reply 4
Hi!
I've applied to do the same course as you! Marketing.

I know this is a thread about life at Bournemouth but it looks a lovely place and i'm not overly worried about that when you consider my other choice is Coventry....
I'm really struggling to choose my firm and was wondering what you thought of the course?

Are the contact hours and library services enough for what you need?

Is feedback on your work prompt and helpful because I think this would be something that would seriously frustrate me after a while.

Do you find the teaching of good quality and the modules engaging? It all looks very interesting and I like the mix of assessment and also the mix of practical seminar work with lectures which they tried to stress to us on the applicant day.

Are there any added extras like trips, opportunities to get involved in things outside the curriculum e.g Marketing based projects that can enhance your CV?

I'm only asking because I really liked Bournemouth at the open day but when I went to the applicant day and was quite underwhelmed by it so i'm kind of doubting myself now.

Thanks so much.
Reply 5
Original post by alexcox98
Hi!

I know this is a thread about life at Bournemouth but it looks a lovely place and i'm not overly worried about that when you consider my other choice is Coventry....
I'm really struggling to choose my firm and was wondering what you thought of the course?

Is feedback on your work prompt and helpful because I think this would be something that would seriously frustrate me after a while.

Do you find the teaching of good quality and the modules engaging? It all looks very interesting and I like the mix of assessment and also the mix of practical seminar work with lectures which they tried to stress to us on the applicant day.

Are there any added extras like trips, opportunities to get involved in things outside the curriculum e.g Marketing based projects that can enhance your CV?

I'm only asking because I really liked Bournemouth at the open day but when I went to the applicant day and was quite underwhelmed by it so i'm kind of doubting myself now.

Thanks so much.

What was underwhelming about it?

Out of interest. :wink:
Reply 6
Original post by stefano865
What was underwhelming about it?

Out of interest. :wink:

The course talk was a workshop that would have been good had it not been for the whole 2 hours. I wanted them to really sell the course to me and tell me how it stood out from other unis but I didn't really learn anything new. The follow up phone call with the student helped I just was hoping to get more of an insight into the course.
Reply 7
Original post by alexcox98
Hi!

Thanks so much.

Hi Alex,

Sorry to hear that you were underwhelmed - but don't let it put you off, Bournemouth is a great place to study and their Marketing courses are some of the best in the uni! Bournemouth Marketing students have a great reputation with industry! Just to confirm I study Marketing Communications the BA degree, rather than the BSc degree although there are not many differences.

The contact hours are enough, but you are expected to do as much work outside of your allocated lecture and seminar time. This is where the library (my second home) comes in handy! You can find out more about the libraries (including the opening times) here! Marketing students have access to great rescourses including nearly a whole floor of books as well as subscriptions to market reports services like Mintel, Keynote, Euromonitor and many more! I have never struggled to find relevant market data or theories.

The feedback is prompt and helps to point you in new directions, one of the lecturers suggested that I took an extra class from the library to improve my referencing and this has definitely helped me earn a few more marks! Lecturers offers tutorials and one-on-one sessions if you feel worried about particular results and are always available through email.

I can't praise the teaching and the delivery of seminars enough - I really like that there is a combination of academic theory, relevant examples and the opportunity to put their knowledge into practice. In particular the mix of assessments is nice as the courses are not too focussed on exams, coursework or presentations - the balance between these three is great.

There are loads of opportunities to boost your CV! I'm working as a student ambassador which has given me loads of promotional experience both online and offline! The university career hub is really helpful as it posts new opportunities for student every day - last year I went to a Channel 4 marketing workshop and this year I got the chance to go work with professionals from Daily Mail and Metro magazine. It is absolutely worth signing up for the Marketing Society (in fact you can even apply to be one of the chairs of the society) the society has taken on several live marketing briefs and research projects and have interesting guests speakers each month from companies like Sky and Pepsi! Check out more on the society's Twitter page!

Of course Marketing students also have the opportunity to complete a 40 week industry placement!

Hope this has helped you out and sorry for the essay! Please feel free to ask me any other questions!
Thanks
Reply 8
Hi Alex,

Sorry to hear that you were underwhelmed - but don't let it put you off, Bournemouth is a great place to study and their Marketing courses are some of the best in the uni! Bournemouth Marketing students have a great reputation with industry! Just to confirm I study Marketing Communications the BA degree, rather than the BSc degree although there are not many differences.

The contact hours are enough, but you are expected to do as much work outside of your allocated lecture and seminar time. This is where the library (my second home) comes in handy! You can find out more about the libraries (including the opening times) here! Marketing students have access to great rescourses including nearly a whole floor of books as well as subscriptions to market reports services like Mintel, Keynote, Euromonitor and many more! I have never struggled to find relevant market data or theories.

The feedback is prompt and helps to point you in new directions, one of the lecturers suggested that I took an extra class from the library to improve my referencing and this has definitely helped me earn a few more marks! Lecturers offers tutorials and one-on-one sessions if you feel worried about particular results and are always available through email.

I can't praise the teaching and the delivery of seminars enough - I really like that there is a combination of academic theory, relevant examples and the opportunity to put their knowledge into practice. In particular the mix of assessments is nice as the courses are not too focussed on exams, coursework or presentations - the balance between these three is great.

There are loads of opportunities to boost your CV! I'm working as a student ambassador which has given me loads of promotional experience both online and offline! The university career hub is really helpful as it posts new opportunities for student every day - last year I went to a Channel 4 marketing workshop and this year I got the chance to go work with professionals from Daily Mail and Metro magazine. It is absolutely worth signing up for the Marketing Society (in fact you can even apply to be one of the chairs of the society) the society has taken on several live marketing briefs and research projects and have interesting guests speakers each month from companies like Sky and Pepsi! Check out more on the society's Twitter page!

Of course Marketing students also have the opportunity to complete a 40 week industry placement!

Hope this has helped you out and sorry for the essay! Please feel free to ask me any other questions!
Thanks

Hi Chris,

Thanks for your reply that is some really useful information. I'll check out the society,
Hi Alex,

It all looks very interesting and I like the mix of assessment and also the mix of practical seminar work with lectures which they tried to stress to us on the applicant day.

Thanks

It all looks very interesting and I like the mix of assessment and also the mix of practical seminar work with lectures which they tried to stress to us on the applicant day.
I'm hoping to apply here in November. I just wondered what life down there is like because I'm from Hull. I have family down in Kent and East Sussex who recommended Bournemouth to me but I've never been so I just wanted to know if I'd fit in with me being from so far away, like so many people go there from this far away or is it mostly people who are from the local area?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
Original post by GeorgeB16
I'm hoping to apply here in November. I just wondered what life down there is like because I'm from Hull. I have family down in Kent and East Sussex who recommended Bournemouth to me but I've never been so I just wanted to know if I'd fit in with me being from so far away, like so many people go there from this far away or is it mostly people who are from the local area?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi George,

My name’s Hannah and I'm a third year Business Studies Student that actually chose to stay at BU to do my placement within their marketing team.

Bournemouth is an old tourist hot spot for obvious reasons; it has the post cards beaches, more restaurants that you could ever manage to eat at and there’s never a day where you won’t have anything to do. There are constant food festivals and events, alongside all the normal things to do, but I won’t bore you with an endless list! If you want to know more about the things to do, give Bournemouth a Google and look at the website, its aimed at tourists but it has everything you might want to try!

Personally, my favourite thing about Bournemouth it that although you have that busy town vibe and there are so many things to do, it is also on the edge of rural Dorset, sandbanks and the new forest. You can go shopping all morning and then go see wild horses or discover the Jurassic coast in the afternoon, and never break a sweat.

Bournemouth really does have something for everyone; from alternative clubs like Soundcircus and DYMK, to the new forest on your door step, there really is always something different to do. And this is all outside the actual BU student union.

In terms of the student make up, it is a real mix! Many local students chose to make the most of the great education on their door step, but i would still say the majority of students move here from further away. In my first year 3 of us moved 2-3 hours to Bournemouth, which is generally the norm, but I also had a roommate from Manchester and another of my friends has moved down here permanently from Birmingham. Many students have also moved over from more rural areas, so you will really meet friends from all four corners of the UK!

I'm not sure too much about Hull, so can't comment on any comparison! I'm personally from Surrey, just below London, so I understand it can be pretty daunting to move away from home. The best advice I could offer is to come down for a day or a weekend; get a real feel of the place and see if you think it’s the right place for you. Anyone can write an endless list of the amazing reasons to move anywhere, but at the end of the day it is about where you feel at home.

I hope that helps, and please feel free to ask any more questions!

Hannah :smile:
Reply 12
I was at Bournemouth and come from Peterborough so quite close by ish to Hull. I loved bournemouth and the university is great. You wouldn't regret it. :smile: do it!
Original post by HannahBU
Hi George,

My name’s Hannah and I'm a third year Business Studies Student that actually chose to stay at BU to do my placement within their marketing team.

Bournemouth is an old tourist hot spot for obvious reasons; it has the post cards beaches, more restaurants that you could ever manage to eat at and there’s never a day where you won’t have anything to do. There are constant food festivals and events, alongside all the normal things to do, but I won’t bore you with an endless list! If you want to know more about the things to do, give Bournemouth a Google and look at the website, its aimed at tourists but it has everything you might want to try!

Personally, my favourite thing about Bournemouth it that although you have that busy town vibe and there are so many things to do, it is also on the edge of rural Dorset, sandbanks and the new forest. You can go shopping all morning and then go see wild horses or discover the Jurassic coast in the afternoon, and never break a sweat.

Bournemouth really does have something for everyone; from alternative clubs like Soundcircus and DYMK, to the new forest on your door step, there really is always something different to do. And this is all outside the actual BU student union.

In terms of the student make up, it is a real mix! Many local students chose to make the most of the great education on their door step, but i would still say the majority of students move here from further away. In my first year 3 of us moved 2-3 hours to Bournemouth, which is generally the norm, but I also had a roommate from Manchester and another of my friends has moved down here permanently from Birmingham. Many students have also moved over from more rural areas, so you will really meet friends from all four corners of the UK!

I'm not sure too much about Hull, so can't comment on any comparison! I'm personally from Surrey, just below London, so I understand it can be pretty daunting to move away from home. The best advice I could offer is to come down for a day or a weekend; get a real feel of the place and see if you think it’s the right place for you. Anyone can write an endless list of the amazing reasons to move anywhere, but at the end of the day it is about where you feel at home.

I hope that helps, and please feel free to ask any more questions!

Hannah :smile:

Hi Hannah,

Thank you for the reply. It has really helped. I'll continue to look at Bournemouth and my other options I'm just currently stressing about actually getting the grades I need so I'm focusing on my studies at the moment 😂
Original post by Cellby
I was at Bournemouth and come from Peterborough so quite close by ish to Hull. I loved bournemouth and the university is great. You wouldn't regret it. :smile: do it!

Thank you for that reply. I understand Peterborough isn't that far from Hull really so I will definitely look into Bournemouth further
Original post by GeorgeB16
Thank you for that reply. I understand Peterborough isn't that far from Hull really so I will definitely look into Bournemouth further

What societies are currently running?
Original post by ripjonsnow
What societies are currently running?

Hi ripjonsnow

Take a look at the Students' Union (SUBU) website for a list of the clubs and societies currently running at Bournemouth Uni. You can also hear what our students have to say about what's going on at BU on our blog.

Feel free to ask if you have any further questions.

Best wishes

Sarah
(edited 7 years ago)
Hi,

I've recently firmed my unconditional offer for the Media and Communications course at Bournemouth, as I've heard it's one of the best unis for media. I really like the look of Bournemouth, but I'm really nervous about moving away from home, as its about four hours away from me. Do you have any experience of living away from home that you can share with me.

Also, anything you can tell me about life in Bournemouth, things to do etc.

Thank you!
Original post by nimizavery
Hi,

I've recently firmed my unconditional offer for the Media and Communications course at Bournemouth, as I've heard it's one of the best unis for media. I really like the look of Bournemouth, but I'm really nervous about moving away from home, as its about four hours away from me. Do you have any experience of living away from home that you can share with me.

Thank you!

Hi nimizavery,

My name is Steve and I'm a final year student at BU studying Business Studies. I'm also a Student Ambassador!

I moved to Bournemouth from Kent, so around three hours away from home. I was nervous at first since it seemed like such a long distance away from where I'd spent most of my life, but honestly looking back now it was totally worth it. There were a few things that I did to make sure that I didn't get too homesick like covering my wall with pictures of good memories and Skyping home regularly. I think it's important to throw yourself into as many opportunities as possible, so try to make friends with people in your seminar, accommodation and join a few clubs and societies as well. There are also lots of support providers if you need someone extra to speak to, like the multi-faith chaplaincy, the SU or AskBU to name but a few. Everyone wants to see you do well, so don't be scared to reach out if you need to! You'll be surprised at how many people are feeling the same way, it's totally normal!

Be confident, enjoy yourself and hopefully you can pass your experience on to people in the same situation in three or four years time like I'm doing now! I hope that helps and if you have any more questions fire away!

Steve Moss
Original post by nimizavery
Hi,

Thank you!

Hi nimizavery,

I came from London to Bournemouth and although it's only 2 hours away I still felt very nervous about leaving home! I had taken a gap year and had got use to my home lifestyle so was unsure if going to university was for me... Looking back I now wonder how I ever thought that as going to uni was definitely the right decision.

My biggest tip to adjusting is to make yourself busy.. which in freshers won't be hard. There are plenty of events going on and you will be super busy getting to know all your new flatmates anyways. Also just remember that your family and friends from home are only a phone call away.. I still FaceTime my parents all the time even now and I'm in my second year.

In terms of things to do in Bournemouth, there's a lot to do. As I'm sure you know we have the beach, which in hotter months is a great place to hang out with friends. After 6pm you can also have BBQ's there! There is also two Odeon cinemas, lots of restaurants, cafes, take away and desert places to eat at, shopping centres, mini golf and also a hot air balloon! Bournemouth is also nearby lots of surrounding towns which make a great day trip out like Poole, Lulworth, Weymouth, Salisbury and the New Forest. There is also a driving range nearby if you like golf and Tower Park in Poole has a water park called Splash Down which is a good laugh.

In terms of nightlife the clubs and bars we have include: Halo, Cameo, Vinyl, Fire Station (run by the uni), BarSo, Lost Gardens, Yates, 60 Million postcards, revolutions, Inferno, Sharkeys, Aruba, Slug and Lettuce, The Cosy Club, Walk About, The Winchester and loads of pubs/Wetherspoons.

Also as already said above on the actual university campus there is lots of societies and sports team that you can join, and if you have an interest in media there is Nerve Media and Jump TV.

All in all you will usually find something to do!
I hope this helped and if you have any other questions feel free to ask :smile:
Gemma :biggrin: (student ambassador)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending