Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

would being charged of common assault while at uni get you kicked out? watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi just serious replies please, Im in my first year of an architecture course, the other night after a night out me and my partner who are in the same flat got in an argument, the security came up for a noise complaint, my partner pushed and then slapped me in the face and i retaliated by shouting in her face and then pushing her head with mine but not striking like a serious head butt. security came up and around the corner at the time when this happened but didnt see the rest and took it as i just head butted her... they resultantly called the police. was kept in custody my partner refused to give a statement but the security guards did and i was charged with common assault section 39. Because it involved my partner its gone down as domestic violence so will appear in court in a few days... if convicted do you think ill be kicked out of uni? so far back at uni and just been moved to a temp room in another block... thanks for any replies...

ReputationRep:
    I'm really sorry this has happened.

Men have little power in situations like this, where it is her word against yours.

Having witnesses makes it even harder for you.

I have no knowledge of the law and don't want to give you the wrong advice.

But would guess you could quite easily be kicked out for this.

In my opinion your only hope is to talk to her and get her on your side.

You were not violent and what she did to you was completely unacceptable.

Good luck.

ReputationRep:
    Maybe you should discuss it with the uni?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stefano865)
    I'm really sorry this has happened.

Men have little power in situations like this, where it is her word against yours.

Having witnesses makes it even harder for you.

I have no knowledge of the law and don't want to give you the wrong advice.

But would guess you could quite easily be kicked out for this.

In my opinion your only hope is to talk to her and get her on your side.

You were not violent and what she did to you was completely unacceptable.

Good luck.
    Its not her word against mine, she refused to give a statement because she didn't want the police involved and wanted to move on, but the police took a statement from security and gone off that as their evidence

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chikane)
    Maybe you should discuss it with the uni?
    it says the university don't investigate and make a decision until after the police investigation has finished...
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by ohdear55)
    Its not her word against mine, she refused to give a statement because she didn't want the police involved and wanted to move on, but the police took a statement from security and gone off that as their evidence
    Speak to your university student services team - they should be able to tell you if there's anything in the regulations that might lead to you being chucked off your course. It's fairly unlikely that this would be the case. Also ask about the rules around your residency agreement. While it might not affect your course if you're residency agreement has something in there about violence on the property then you might get chucked out of your flat.

ReputationRep:

I meant that more generally.

What happened prior to that is her word against yours.

You have to convince her to give a fair account of the situation. It is your only hope.

Kicked out of uni and this on your record for life.

Get your uni involved. This is too serious for her to simply refuse to give a statement.

She needs to understand how this could impact your life.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PQ)
    Speak to your university student services team - they should be able to tell you if there's anything in the regulations that might lead to you being chucked off your course. It's fairly unlikely that this would be the case. Also ask about the rules around your residency agreement. While it might not affect your course if you're residency agreement has something in there about violence on the property then you might get chucked out of your flat.
    thanks for the reply, i will speak to them, That is what i was thinking, those sort of regulations are more often in courses like medicine or dental ect, i do believe it would effect my residency agreement due to them already telling my partner ill have to move flats. Im not to worried about moving accommodation was just dont want to be kicked off my course, i already know ill be having a meeting with senior members of the university....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stefano865)
    I meant that more generally.

What happened prior to that is her word against yours.

You have to convince her to give a fair account of the situation. It is your only hope.

Kicked out of uni and this on your record for life.

Get your uni involved. This is too serious for her to simply refuse to give a statement.

She needs to understand how this could impact your life.
    yeah i know she did say to the people wha happened and that she did slap me first but said she didnt want to make a case.
    I know however cant speak to her due to bail conditions..
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    yeah i know she did say to the people wha happened and that she did slap me first but said she didnt want to make a case.
    I know however cant speak to her due to bail conditions..
    Have you got legal representation? The ideal situation is that you aren't convicted.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PQ)
    Have you got legal representation? The ideal situation is that you aren't convicted.
    yeah in contact with solicitors now... yeah that would be the ideal situation, i don't know the full evidence against me until it comes through from the police

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.