Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi!
    I'm currently in year 13 and am choosing which uni to firm and insure very soon. I've narrowed down my choices for uni to Leeds or Sussex, but I also hold offers from Nottingham, Bristol and Keele. I'm really stuck and unsure of whether to go to Leeds or Sussex as I really liked them both! I'm more of a city person but Sussex has Brighton near by so that wouldn't be too much of an issue. The courses at both unis looked good and they both have a study abroad year which I want to do, but Sussex does a language pathway which you can do alongside your degree which Leeds doesn't do as far as I'm aware. I've visited them both but would really appreciate if anyone knew more about the facilities and research etc.

Any opinions or advice would be really helpful!
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    I've been taught a few modules that are compulsory for neuroscience students. I go to Leeds, so I can't answer anything about Sussex! Our neuroscience course is particularly good (I'm not just saying this because I'm biased towards Leeds - there are plenty of courses here I'd actively recommend against), with decent lecturers and decent support, although a lot of contact time is just lectures and labs, very little small group tutorial learning.

I'm not sure what you mean by language pathway, but at Leeds each year you can take some modules from any department, so you can take some beginners language courses as part of your degree if you like (Leeds offers French, German, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Mandarin, and Spanish). There's also a language exchange program, where, if someone's available, they can practice their native language with you, in exchange for you helping them practice their English.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by carehow)
    I've been taught a few modules that are compulsory for neuroscience students. I go to Leeds, so I can't answer anything about Sussex! Our neuroscience course is particularly good (I'm not just saying this because I'm biased towards Leeds - there are plenty of courses here I'd actively recommend against), with decent lecturers and decent support, although a lot of contact time is just lectures and labs, very little small group tutorial learning.

I'm not sure what you mean by language pathway, but at Leeds each year you can take some modules from any department, so you can take some beginners language courses as part of your degree if you like (Leeds offers French, German, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Mandarin, and Spanish). There's also a language exchange program, where, if someone's available, they can practice their native language with you, in exchange for you helping them practice their English.
    Hi thanks so much for your reply!
    That's interesting about the options for learning a language because it's something I really want to do and if Leeds offer that then that's great
    Would you say there's a lot of chemistry and maths in the course which would be difficult for me as I don't do either of those subjects at A-level?
    And also, this is slightly off topic, but which accommodation is ideal for being near the campus but also very sociable and en suite?

Thanks so much for your help!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by neuro26)
    Hi thanks so much for your reply!
    That's interesting about the options for learning a language because it's something I really want to do and if Leeds offer that then that's great
    Would you say there's a lot of chemistry and maths in the course which would be difficult for me as I don't do either of those subjects at A-level?
    And also, this is slightly off topic, but which accommodation is ideal for being near the campus but also very sociable and en suite?

Thanks so much for your help!
    Not a lot of maths so you'll be absolutely fine there, but quite a bit of chemistry. It's doable if you don't have it A-Level (they take it from the basics, but go very quickly), but be prepared for it to be a higher workload and catch-up at first compared to the students who have done it at A Level.

Don't worry about sociable accommodation, just focus on near campus and en suite. If you end up getting on with your flatmates great, if not, oh well, it's the luck of the draw and no particular accommodation can ensure you have sociable flatmates - I haven't found that there seems to be any particular accommodation that's more sociable than another. University societies are great for making friends to go out with, and more reliable than picking accommodation you've heard is sociable.
    It also depends what you mean by 'near the campus' (e.g. 20 minute walk? 5 minute walk?), but here: http://accommodation.leeds.ac.uk/residences is the link to university owned accommodation, with details of how far away they are, whether they have en-suite, etc (I suggest you look on google maps for the time taken to get to campus rather than take their word for it though, as I've found it tends to be overly optimistic), and you can browse through several accommodations to see which seem right for you.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.