Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    So, the story begins when i turned 16, three years ago. Having received my GCSEs (5As, 6Bs) i move on to college and start the IB. All was going well for about the first 4-5 months, good grades- excelling even, attendance and punctuality at 100%, strong predicted Grades, better than ever really as i had started trying and actually studying, something i hadn't done during my GCSE years. I was even contemplating trying for Russell Group Unis, i even got a Saturday job bringing in £300 so i was doing well. But then I begun to coast, cramming for exams, half-assing homework. Punctuality and attendance dipped massively. I switched between long stretches of laziness and short bursts of determination to get things done, being able to learn quickly. by the time I get to the end of my First year i had missed the last 2-3 weeks of college, The Start of EE Prep.

Second Year, after a long summer, i came back strong. For about a month. The Crash was simply insane, attendance and punctuality dropping to around 53%. It was like a mental block. I couldnt summon the determination or motivation to study or attend classes. My teachers especially my History and English teachers had high hopes for me. By the end i had let them down. I couldn't summon the courage or intelligence to drop out and start over or even take a break. As a result i left with 24 Points (HL History english and economics being 6,5,4 respectively). I ended by failing the IB overall because i got a 2 in Spanish Ab Initio.

After this result being, only really happy about history and english, i felt like i needed a year or 2 off to decide what i actually wanted to do in Life. Being from an African family this wasnt going to happen. So i was forced either to go to Uni on clearing or do A-Levels. I didnt want the debt so i chose A Levels. This, it turned out, was the worst decision i could possibly make. By the end of that year i had failed about half the exams in things not 2 long ago i had been extremely good at.
    Now, 7 months later, i found myself doing absolutely nothing, in the same job i had when i was 16 while the my friends and peers are in their second year, and suddenly, the itch to learn and to progress on to University has returned. I now know what i want to do 10 years down the line and i know what i want to study.

So finally, I ask:
    Legit, what the hell do i do?!??!?

I've got immense academic baggage and i don't know where to start, I've done some preliminary studying on the outgoing A Levels. Ive got a good memory and having previously studied most of the content before meaning in the 80 days before the first May exams i could theoretically pull out something great, but it costs money i simply dont have with the 12 units i would take coming to 1.5K. Then i thought i could apply to Uni on my IB grades, but then i had the issue of whether i would put on my absolutely horrendous AS grades.

So i ask again: WHAT DO I DO????

TLDR: 19 year old starts out smart, passionate and determined, spends 3 years crashing and burning, suddenly find his brain,passion and determination looking for a way back, opening up to the internet!
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by Reon43)
    So, the story begins when i turned 16, three years ago. Having received my GCSEs (5As, 6Bs) i move on to college and start the IB. All was going well for about the first 4-5 months, good grades- excelling even, attendance and punctuality at 100%, strong predicted Grades, better than ever really as i had started trying and actually studying, something i hadn't done during my GCSE years. I was even contemplating trying for Russell Group Unis, i even got a Saturday job bringing in £300 so i was doing well. But then I begun to coast, cramming for exams, half-assing homework. Punctuality and attendance dipped massively. I switched between long stretches of laziness and short bursts of determination to get things done, being able to learn quickly. by the time I get to the end of my First year i had missed the last 2-3 weeks of college, The Start of EE Prep.

Second Year, after a long summer, i came back strong. For about a month. The Crash was simply insane, attendance and punctuality dropping to around 53%. It was like a mental block. I couldnt summon the determination or motivation to study or attend classes. My teachers especially my History and English teachers had high hopes for me. By the end i had let them down. I couldn't summon the courage or intelligence to drop out and start over or even take a break. As a result i left with 24 Points (HL History english and economics being 6,5,4 respectively). I ended by failing the IB overall because i got a 2 in Spanish Ab Initio.

After this result being, only really happy about history and english, i felt like i needed a year or 2 off to decide what i actually wanted to do in Life. Being from an African family this wasnt going to happen. So i was forced either to go to Uni on clearing or do A-Levels. I didnt want the debt so i chose A Levels. This, it turned out, was the worst decision i could possibly make. By the end of that year i had failed about half the exams in things not 2 long ago i had been extremely good at.
    Now, 7 months later, i found myself doing absolutely nothing, in the same job i had when i was 16 while the my friends and peers are in their second year, and suddenly, the itch to learn and to progress on to University has returned. I now know what i want to do 10 years down the line and i know what i want to study.

So finally, I ask:
    Legit, what the hell do i do?!??!?

I've got immense academic baggage and i don't know where to start, I've done some preliminary studying on the outgoing A Levels. Ive got a good memory and having previously studied most of the content before meaning in the 80 days before the first May exams i could theoretically pull out something great, but it costs money i simply dont have with the 12 units i would take coming to 1.5K. Then i thought i could apply to Uni on my IB grades, but then i had the issue of whether i would put on my absolutely horrendous AS grades.

So i ask again: WHAT DO I DO????

TLDR: 19 year old starts out smart, passionate and determined, spends 3 years crashing and burning, suddenly find his brain,passion and determination looking for a way back, opening up to the internet!
    You d have to declare the AS grades so it could be that you d have to look at doing a foundation year. What career is it you want to go into?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by claireestelle)
    You d have to declare the AS grades so it could be that you d have to look at doing a foundation year. What career is it you want to go into?
    I would like to go into economics but i didnt know there were economics programs with foundation years.
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by Reon43)
    I would like to go into economics but i didnt know there were economics programs with foundation years.
    I m sure there's a few around

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.