Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I don't know if I'm being really cynical or if I'm actually stopping myself being taken for a mug.
    Basically I got a message on LinkedIn from a headhunter last week and the opportunity sounded great; I checked out the headhunting company and it seemed legit. I've spoken to the person there a few times and they've said they'll put me forward to the firm, and try to set up an interview. I've sent my CV to them but nothing else.
    It's for a graduate law programme; it's exactly the sort of thing I want to do so I'm worried it's too good to be true - although it's not obvious from my LinkedIn that this would be the case.
    Does this sound legit? What should I do now?

ReputationRep:
    I think it is legit, but they're not offering you a job. They're just an agency that finds candidates for company's that are recruiting. They'll show your CV, recommend you and hopefully set up an interview. Then it's up to you to impress.

ReputationRep:
    No-one is going to get head-hunted for a graduate scheme. You've been contacted by an external recruiter who's job is to get as many CVs together as they possibly can and pass them all on to the hiring company in the hopes that at least some of them might get a job and thus the recruiter gets their commission.

ReputationRep:
    I definitely didn't think I was going to the job straight out lol - I was genuinely just concerned that even the CV collecting wasn't real.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by purplesherbet)
    Hi, I don't know if I'm being really cynical or if I'm actually stopping myself being taken for a mug.
    Basically I got a message on LinkedIn from a headhunter last week and the opportunity sounded great; I checked out the headhunting company and it seemed legit. I've spoken to the person there a few times and they've said they'll put me forward to the firm, and try to set up an interview. I've sent my CV to them but nothing else.
    It's for a graduate law programme; it's exactly the sort of thing I want to do so I'm worried it's too good to be true - although it's not obvious from my LinkedIn that this would be the case.
    Does this sound legit? What should I do now?
    As Reue says, this isn't headhunting. The firm may call themselves headhunters, but headhunters usually target specific people for a specific (usually hard to fill) role. This is a graduate recruiter trying to get people to use their services.

It sounds live you've lost nothing, especially if they've put your CV forward for a grad scheme you hadn't otherwise seen. If it's been a few weeks, I would consider chasing the recruiter once, just to see if they've heard anything back. Otherwise, just move on with your job search- treat this like any other application and don't pin your hopes on getting it.

There is a small chance they may put your CV forward for other roles, with or without your consent. It might be good to put something in writing explaining that you're currently interested in this role only, and you don't want your CV submitted for anything else without them asking you first.

ReputationRep:
    You won't get headhunted for a typical graduate scheme, but you can be headhunted for a 'graduate level job', just be aware of that.

And as the other posters have said, its just a recruiter doing what they do tbh, depending on the size of the firm there will probably be anywhere between 5-15 CV's that are passed on, if the company is interested in you, they will let the recruiter know and then the whole process will start. If they aren't interested in you, then you may or may not hear from the recruiter again.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reue)
    No-one is going to get head-hunted for a graduate scheme. You've been contacted by an external recruiter who's job is to get as many CVs together as they possibly can and pass them all on to the hiring company in the hopes that at least some of them might get a job and thus the recruiter gets their commission.
    Not quite true. I technically headhunt for graduate programmes. I have to track down people who have worked for competitors on work experience programmes/internships and then try to get them to apply for the company/firm's graduate programme.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J-SP)
    Not quite true. I technically headhunt for graduate programmes. I have to track down people who have worked for competitors on work experience programmes/internships and then try to get them to apply for the company/firm's graduate programme.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    As with everything you are the exception to the rule
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Head-hunting is legit, but just be aware that having a recruiter contact you and offer to put you forward for a position is not the same as head-hunting, it's standard recruitment practice for a recruitment company. Head-hunting usually refers to tracking down specific people for specific, usually quite high up or hard to fill, roles.

Getting contacted by recruiters regarding graduate jobs is legit, too. It happened to me - I was contacted a few times by in-house recruiters for graduate/entry level roles. I never applied for my last graduate job, as the company contacted me. That's one of the reasons it's a good idea to have your CV on job boards and to maintain a LinkedIn presence, because you never know what's out there and what might come up, and you lose nothing if it ultimately amounts to nothing.

(Original post by J-SP)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    What's the point in that?

Like, I could see the value if the company was effectively automatically going to offer them an interview, but are they actually getting you to try to persuade them to go through the whole process again with another company?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smack)
    Head-hunting is legit, but just be aware that having a recruiter contact you and offer to put you forward for a position is not the same as head-hunting, it's standard recruitment practice for a recruitment company. Head-hunting usually refers to tracking down specific people for specific, usually quite high up or hard to fill, roles.

Getting contacted by recruiters regarding graduate jobs is legit, too. It happened to me - I was contacted a few times by in-house recruiters for graduate/entry level roles. I never applied for my last graduate job, as the company contacted me. That's one of the reasons it's a good idea to have your CV on job boards and to maintain a LinkedIn presence, because you never know what's out there and what might come up, and you lose nothing if it ultimately amounts to nothing.

What's the point in that?

Like, I could see the value if the company was effectively automatically going to offer them an interview, but are they actually getting you to try to persuade them to go through the whole process again with another company?
    It works - I get paid enough for it when it does. Just because they did an internship with a company doesn't mean they have a graduate offer.

They usually do interview them, depending on if they pass things like online testing. That's the whole point - the organisations don't want thousands of application, they just want highly targeted applications that have a high chance of success. The briefs I get are pretty specific and there's no sense in me sending through people who don't have it - only harms my reputation if I did.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 22, 2016
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.