The Student Room Group
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield

Victoria Hall or Opal?

I'm not sure if this has been asked elsewhere, but anyway...
I've been looking online for where i'd like to live when i come to sheffield in september and i definately want self catered with an ensuite. i think i'd find it easier living in the city centre so narrowed it down to victoria hall or opal but can't decide which looks best.
are they near each other? also, i know this is random, but am i right in thinking victoria hall is near the devonshire cat pub? i like the area around there and it would be cool to live near that. i think victoria hall looks a bit nicer than opal, and its smaller so i guess its easier to get along with more people? and i hear it has a shop too.
what sort of people live in each of the two accomodations? is it likely i would get my first choice now or are they so popular they'll already be full?
if anyone can say more about either i'd appreciate it, thanks.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
They are about a...1 minute walk from each other? 30 seconds if you run :tongue: Opal One, Victoria Halls and Devonshire Courtyard are all within a minute of each other, placed around Devonshire Green. Which means they are all near the Devonshire Cat and in the same area. Opal 2, however, is off somewhere else. As far as I'm aware, they pretty much have the same atmosphere. And the insides are pretty much the same. Both halls have a fair few flats with mixed internationals and nationals, but it's just dependant on where you get into. I'm probably biased because I'm in Opal 1 mind :smile: But I'd say apply for either, because they are PRETTY MUCH the same.
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield
Reply 2
Umm you know you don't pick which Hall you want. The most you can pick is City and Central Self Catered, so it'll be a luck of the draw whether you get Victoria or Opal you might even end up at Broad Lane lol.
Darielle
They are about a...1 minute walk from each other? 30 seconds if you run :tongue: Opal One, Victoria Halls and Devonshire Courtyard are all within a minute of each other, placed around Devonshire Green. Which means they are all near the Devonshire Cat and in the same area. Opal 2, however, is off somewhere else. As far as I'm aware, they pretty much have the same atmosphere. And the insides are pretty much the same. Both halls have a fair few flats with mixed internationals and nationals, but it's just dependant on where you get into. I'm probably biased because I'm in Opal 1 mind :smile: But I'd say apply for either, because they are PRETTY MUCH the same.

Big distinction is that I'm at Opal.
Reply 4
That's more of a negative comment about Opal. We're trying to get them to Opal, Not victoria!
Oh right!
Reply 6

I live in Opal, and that's the Dev. Cat outside looking out from my window. On the opposite side of the road from it you can just see the corner of Victoria Hall.

The courtyard area inside of Opal One.

Personally I think the rooms in Opal are nice than in Victoria Hall, and bigger too.
camel camel
Reply 8
Why yes there is a stuffed toy camel on my bed :biggrin:
Everyone i know at Victorial Hall thinks Opal is better =p

You don't get to choose, but there was a little 'further comments' on my application from, and i put preferably opal, and thats what i got. So i guess its worth a shot
Opal has many lovely people but the Fax is where its at :p:
Reply 11
someone CLEARLY had a major tidy up before taking those photos.

This is what a real student bedroom looks like:

Reply 12
oh, and the view outside is MUCH nicer

Don't worry her room is a tip most of the time :p:
Opal's kitchens are modern, spacious, clean and tidy:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=8672235#post8672235

:smile:
#zomg#

Love it :p:
Reply 16
Reue
someone CLEARLY had a major tidy up before taking those photos.

Oh you bet. It was during the January exam period so when procrastinating about revising I make myself feel better by doing something semi-productive like tidying :p:
You can also tell it's the exam period by the four mugs on my desk, for cups of tea to keep me going!

And FiL - that's shocking! I'm not sure how you manage to eat out of there!
Reply 17
Fluent in Lies
Opal's kitchens are modern, spacious, clean and tidy:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=8672235#post8672235

:smile:

That's horrendous!!!! I really hope I don't end up living with flatmates who do that next year!!!! My friend's flat is really clean and tidy, I want mine to look the same!
i would personally go for opal. My mate lives there ( play ps3 and wii in his HDTV :biggrin:), rooms are like the forge. victoria hall.....ummm....i donno.....opal is much newer, got bigger rooms, same location more or less. But at the end of the day, its your choice :smile:
Reply 19
ok cool thanks guys. so how long does it take to get to uni for lectures from the city central campus? is it less convenient than living in endcliffe or ranmoor/tapton?

Latest

Trending

Trending