The Student Room Group

A-Level English Language (9093)

I am a private student in pakistan giving A-level English Language, yhat is why I need a lot of help from you people.
can you give me a sample answer to "Comment on the ways in which language and style are used" like what should we write in it?
and "Compare the language and style of Text A and Text B."
and i also dont know what to do in paper 4
can anyone help me......PLZ
thanks in advance :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Hello Hera

To my understanding, the first question ask you to make a commentary. This means that you would have to thoroughly read the text given and annotate any writer's effect. Start by focusing just on the text and get a general understanding of it. Identify what genre the text belong to and who is the intended audience. Try and find the purpose of the text.

After getting the meaning of the text read and annotate notes on how the writer uses their writing style and vocabulary to achieve this purpose. For example, if the text is a travel advertisement then the writer might use hyperbole such as "So relaxing you will melt into a puddle" or elaborate adjectives such as "sun kissed beaches". The writer might make the sentences short and understandable. They might use specific terms to appeal to certain audiences such as "eraser" rather than "rubber". In fact there are many examples in the text that you would have to pick out the BEST ones.

Then try to link the argument together and analysis how this applies to the text. For example, the writer used the adjective "sun kissed" to describe the beach because it allows the interested readers an imagery of a beautiful beach blessed with lots of sunshine and good weather which may attract visitors.

Overall your essay may appear like this
Paragraph 1: Genre, Audience, Main purpose
Paragraph 2: Writer's effect with example and explanation
Paragraph 3: Another writer's effect with example and explanation
Paragraph 4: How all these example allow the text to achieve its purpose mentioned in Paragraph 1

As for your other questions I would find another time to try answer when I'm free. Sorry...
Reply 2
thank you so much :biggrin:
i will be waiting for further answers
Reply 3
are you giving As this may?
i am also trying my luck this may,and just started learning paper 1.
its on 4th May here ,Yes i am also from Pakistan ,this site really helps a lot
Reply 4
I am giving both AS and A level this May, I have been learning for 1 month till now and let me tell you paper 1 and 2 is not difficult but paper 3 and 4 is.paper 1 you need to write your review on the text given to us we have to tell what is the language is (weather angry, polite, humorous, sarcastic, etc) who is the audience (general or specific), the main purpose (either to create awareness, or to give reasoning to what and why is done, etc). being it 15 marks you atleast have to write your review in about one and half or 2 pagespaper 2 is easy and pure imaginative only concern is the time management i mean like 2 essay in 600-900 wordspaper 3 is just like paper 1 it's just you have to compare 2 different text while giving your review how are they differentpaper 4 is something I myself didn't understand till now if you find anything please let me know
Reply 5
sorry for late reply ,as the student room servers are always down at my place
which city you live in ? i had to order two English coursebooks from lahore,Sorry cant remember the authors
Get a decent book, without a book there is no chance of acing paper 3 and 4
i cant recall the name of mine,but this book is heaven sent,helped me so much to overcome my fear of paper 1 and 2
Will send you as soon as find it and hopefully if students room allow me to login
Go to papa cambridge ,and check out the 8693 ( old code of the same subject) section ,click on the best student responses booklet submitted by Cambridge . There are many other resources too there.
Well its brave step giving composite English even with the paucity of resources you have. Well God Speed be with you
Reply 6
the book which will really help you to get over you anxiety is this one
http://education.cambridge.org/in/subject/english/english-language-and-literature/cambridge-international-as-level-english-language-and-literature
the other one recommended by Cambridge,written by Mike Gould is real garbage ,and it will cost you 2600 Rs,which went to total waste as its such a poorly organized contents they have written
but your definition of Paper 1 and 2 being piss easy doesn't sound quite familiar ,they are pretty tough though
Do tell me your Result whether it goes south ,lol as i have to prepare for paper 3 and 4 this year too
Reply 7
Hey no problem
I live in Karachi.....well sadly the book that I have is Mike Gould ......when I said paper 1 and 2 easy I ment in comparison to paper 3 and 4 I am taking tuition and she said I am going great with paper 1 and 2 ( though I am doubting myself if I am on the right direction) ...... Do tell me the other resources if you find
Thanks
Reply 8
get the one on the link i posted,Karachi mey mil jani easily
Reply 9
hey Abwkhan
as you are giving p3 and p4 this may/june is it possible i can see your answers of p3 and p4 I just need a glimpse Idea of how to attempt the paper. please....
Reply 10
any year is fine for me
Reply 11
well sorry to disappoint you ,i am giving As not A levels this May
Paper 1 Paper 2 only ,if you want to check out my paper 1 responses ,i can definitely send you those
But you can compare your responses with the Examiner reports here,for all components ,onward s 2013
http://papers.gceguide.com/A%20Levels/English%20-%20Language%20AS%20and%20A%20Level%20%20%289093%29/
Reply 12
i posted some links which are being reviewed at the moment,so it will take time,can we talk somewhere else (for faster responses )
check your inbox, do you have an email?
Heyy, Can you help me with sample answer or p1 part a and b? Im really worried :/! Pls help out
Heyy, Can you help me with sample answer or p1 part a and b?
Im really worried :/! Pls help out
Reply 15
Original post by Zainabbbbb
Heyy, Can you help me with sample answer or p1 part a and b?
Im really worried :/! Pls help out

can I have your email ID please?......what help do you need?
Hey, yeah sure its [email protected]
I want to ask about As paper 1 part a and part b.
I dont exactly know how to do the commentery
I need a sort of sample of its answer to help myself
Plus i dont know whether to explain it paragraph to paragraph or overall
Im really worried
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 17
Im really worried

ok....check your mail
it might take some time to reach you so be a little patient
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 18
Im really worried

Did you get it...if yes please reply to the mail
Reply 19
Hey hera..
I see this post is last year's so you probaby had your exam.. how did it go?
I'll be giving 9093 english language this May/June session (Both AS and A level)
Please provide some tips too

Quick Reply

Latest