Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi all, I'm feeling completely confused about what to do once I finish my A Levels in 3D Design and English (Literature and Language). I haven't bothered applying for university due to being so confused, and I would look for apprenticeships - but I don't know where to start!
    All I know is I enjoy design and creative writing alongside each other. All throughout education teachers and staff have advised me to pick between the two subjects - but it's been two years... and I'm still torn.

I'm wondering if there's a career which incorporates the two, in the media industry in general. I feel in my career I will want to be working in more than one subject area due to enjoying multiple elements of Product Design, Graphic Design, Literature and English in general. It's a wide variety... but how am I supposed to choose?! I just love being able to express my ideas in art form or writing.
    Hope this doesn't confuse anyone as much as it confuses me.

ReputationRep:
    I was in a similar position when I was in university. I love both the studio arts and English. I chose art. However, your interests lie in the design world which has more job prospects. Here is what I think: In order to work in the design world, you need the education. There is a lot that is hard to learn on your own. With the uni's help, they can help you find work placement. The English path is very broad. The design degree is more specific in career path so that will make it easier on you to figure out what to do.

I think you can try to do both by just studying design if you're English is already strong. I am not sure if you are interested but have you considered advertising? It combines both areas of your interests (though of course, not as much writing). Maybe you can start off in design and go into writing later on. Would becoming a writer for a design magazine interest you? You can do that after you satisfied your calling in the design field.

What I've noticed a lot of people doing now though is keeping a blog. That is one way to express yourself through writing and you don't need a degree to do it. Many people have gone this path and many exciting opportunities have opened up to them all because they followed their passion.

Good luck. I hope this helps.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Quick Link:

Unanswered Marketing,Sales ad PR Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.