Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So I was looking into studying with the OU to study Psychology and wanted to do it as a full time student, doing 120 credits a year. I was originally planning to go to Bournemouth Uni but circumstances have changed, so was looking to study as a FT student over 3 years anyway.

I tried looking into it and most study with OU as Part time students, but I want to study for three/four years, not six. So when applying for Student Finance would I be considered studying full time or part time as it's with OU? I did email OU asking them but they gave me a very vague answer about how most are PT so it would be part time and studying FT would take more hours per week. I have those hours extra and really want to at least try FT.

So would it still be PT as the course costs less per year in tuition or would it be FT because I would be putting in the hours and work?

I'm just a little confused about what to put when applying as it's not all very clear.

ReputationRep:
    I think technically it counts as part time even though 120 credits a year is full time equivalent. I'm doing 120 this year and am still classed as part time with student finance etc.

It is possible to do it in 3 years and do 120 a year. Finance-wise each module costs a set amount. The amount you can get per year for OU study is enough to cover 120 credits.

Hope that's helpful!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sarahk13)
    So I was looking into studying with the OU to study Psychology and wanted to do it as a full time student, doing 120 credits a year. I was originally planning to go to Bournemouth Uni but circumstances have changed, so was looking to study as a FT student over 3 years anyway.

I tried looking into it and most study with OU as Part time students, but I want to study for three/four years, not six. So when applying for Student Finance would I be considered studying full time or part time as it's with OU? I did email OU asking them but they gave me a very vague answer about how most are PT so it would be part time and studying FT would take more hours per week. I have those hours extra and really want to at least try FT.

So would it still be PT as the course costs less per year in tuition or would it be FT because I would be putting in the hours and work?

I'm just a little confused about what to put when applying as it's not all very clear.
    You're always considered part time when studying with the OU when it comes to SFE. Modules are priced independently with the OU and over each year tuition fees work out less than a 'normal' uni.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.