The Student Room Group

~Gingerbread's road to Law~

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Gingerbread101
Oh wellll, I'm sure your analysis was still valid :yes: :lol:

There's easy ways to improve your application and add to your experience, I haven't done anything incredibly extreme - I only had 1 day's worth of work experience! :redface: I made a post on here about what I put on my personal statement and things I'd recommend, I'll find it :yes:

They're back again :colone:

Your GCSE grades and your clear motivation! Actually, annoyed you got declined. Hope to see you on the UN's panel, in a few years time :P
Original post by Oblivion99
Your GCSE grades and your clear motivation! Actually, annoyed you got declined. Hope to see you on the UN's panel, in a few years time :P

I only wish my AS UMS had been as good as my GCSE, I would have got into Cambridge then :emo: The really disheartening thing is that if I'd applied to Oxford (where they don't look at UMS), I probably would have got in as on my feedback from Cambridge they said I'd interviewed better then people with higher grades, but that my UMS let me down :moon:

But oh well, life goes on :lol:
Hey :awesome:

Work experience
I did a day's worth (I would recommend getting more than this, it was very last minute) in a local solicitor's firm with a PI lawyer, and I went with her on a meeting on location to discuss an accident with the manager of the place it happened, and met all the different people who were involved with investigating it. It was actually a lot more interesting than you'd think Personal Injury would be, and I got to have a look through some of the massive reference books!

Extra Curricular
I did a lot of extra curricular, but the stuff I included in my PS was: visiting the Crown Court, meeting up with a former public defender, reading newspapers, public speaking through being a charity ambassador for Step up to Serve and The Scout Association, Head Girl, Chair of School Council, being a British Youth Council delegate and Young Enterprise.

Wider reading
I read McBride's 'Letters to a Law Student' and Williams' 'Learning the Law' as well as newspapers regularly.

I hope this helps, let me know if you need any more tips :awesome:

I hope to do Law with a Language, as I can speak fluent french and arabic alongside English. Do I need A-levels in them, to sort of "prove" to the university that I can speak them?
I hope to do Law with a Language, as I can speak fluent french and arabic alongside English. Do I need A-levels in them, to sort of "prove" to the university that I can speak them?

Just doing some research into the admissions of some of them, they seem to have their prospective language as a requirement at A Level :smile: it might be worth doing some more research by emailing them though :yes:
Just doing some research into the admissions of some of them, they seem to have their prospective language as a requirement at A Level :smile: it might be worth doing some more research by emailing them though :yes:

Thank's for the follow and the reply. That mean's I have to do an extra A-Level on Arabic. :h: Do you plan to work abroad?
Thank's for the follow and the reply. That mean's I have to do an extra A-Level on Arabic. :h: Do you plan to work abroad?

Possibly :yes: a lot of unis do a year abroad with Law, which I don't think you need the A Level in the language for, so that might be worth looking into as an alternative :smile:

I don't, I'm not particularly great at languages and I think I'd be better suited here :lol:
Also, you guys should all definitely enter the Short Story competition I made :colone: Another part of the reason I haven't done as much revision as planned- I was creating tons of threads for this English Festival :lol:
Update 10/04/2016

Back to school tomorrow!! Over Easter I've not managed to do as much as the optimist in me would have wanted - I was aiming for around 30-40 hours but I've only done around 25. I've focused mainly on American History and Literature, which I think was definitely the right choice as there isn't as much to learn for Language. However, I think I should have spent more time doing Russian History for my resit, as that exam is coming first. I could have done some General Studies revision, but that would have been a bit of a waste of time.

On Friday I didn't do any revision because I was at my boyfriend's house, and I was in town shopping for a lot of Saturday, but I did do a few hours of Literature revision in the evening.

Today:
- I've done around 3 hours of History revision on Native Americans, and I've covered the basics of 90% of that topic, I just need to reinforce it
- Later tonight I'm also planning on doing some essay plans for History

The Infamous Post It Note Wall
20160410_172241.jpg

Welcome to my humble abode - this year I'm keeping my post it notes on my wardrobe doors, although as I had 200+ last year, I imagine they will creep onto other walls too.

On the far left are the post it notes on Native Americans - I did all of these today. There are 3 factors (social, political and economic) and time periods, so that's why they're laid out like that. The three at the bottom are notes waiting to be converted.

Next is exactly the same thing, but for Workers. I did these last week and pretty much know them off by heart now.

On the white column are all of the AO2 factors I need to remember to include for English Language (the Language Change half)

The next door along are my quotes to remember for Literature. This is where the painted quotes I showed you a while ago go too. I have a lot of quotes (31 ish) that I know and are on flashcards that I still need to convert onto post it notes.

The last door is my English Language door, which is under-developed due to how little attention I've given it. These post it notes have key terms and factors on for just Language change at the minute, but I'll be adding Child Language Acquisition soon too.

Do you use your walls for revision/school?

~Gingerbread~

Quotes

I generally don't use my walls for revision apart from for key words and definitions. I've recently started doing this for R.S. and geography. It really works for definitons as I constantly come across then, and eventually they stick in my head :colondollar:
Original post by kennethdcharles
I generally don't use my walls for revision apart from for key words and definitions. I've recently started doing this for R.S. and geography. It really works for definitons as I constantly come across then, and eventually they stick in my head :colondollar:

That's how I do it too, I just do it to the absolute nth degree :lol:
That's how I do it too, I just do it to the absolute nth degree :lol:

Lol :biggrin: I've learnt not to exaggerate as my parents don't like me sticking too many things on the wall, but I do it anyway sometimes :tongue:
Lol :biggrin: I've learnt not to exaggerate as my parents don't like me sticking too many things on the wall, but I do it anyway sometimes :tongue:

My parents don't like me sticking things on with blu tac because it pulls off the paint, but they can't complain this way :colone:
My parents don't like me sticking things on with blu tac because it pulls off the paint, but they can't complain this way :colone:

I definitely can't use blu tac, that will make them go mental:colondollar:
I definitely can't use blu tac, that will make them go mental:colondollar:

They let me use it but it'll be my fault if it pulls off the paint :lol:
Original post by Zacken
Better than my friends roping me into playing Minecraft 5 hours before our business GCSE exam :facepalm:

Better than my friends dragging me into playing FIFA all night before both GCSE maths exams - ironically I was the only one in the school that got an A* that year
Original post by Andy98
Better than my friends dragging me into playing FIFA all night before both GCSE maths exams - ironically I was the only one in the school that got an A* that year

These are like horror stories to me :afraid: :lol:
These are like horror stories to me :afraid: :lol:

Why? You actually stand a chance of doing well - which is better than I had :rofl:
Original post by Andy98
Why? You actually stand a chance of doing well - which is better than I had :rofl:

Just the mere thought of staying up all night on computer games before an exam - it's terrifying :rofl:
Just the mere thought of staying up all night on computer games before an exam - it's terrifying :rofl:

It's actually rather relaxing when you do it :tongue:
Original post by Andy98
It's actually rather relaxing when you do it :tongue:

Haha, I don't generally revise that much the night before an exam - I get an early night :wink:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending