The Student Room Group

~Gingerbread's road to Law~

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Gingerbread101
I might do an hour on one evening, but I don't want to waste the time that I'm actually motivated in :lol:

Hm, I guess that's good then, I might just do an hour of quickly looking over things :smile:

Unless things have changed in 2 years, General Studies is SO varied - questions on Science through to Art - so revising for it is pretty impossible. I think an hour a day might be a waste which could be spent on History. Apart from learning a few terms and reading about some global events, it's all about being able to argue sides, which is going to be strengthened through History and English revision anyway :tongue: Is GS part of your offer?

EDIT: saying that, if you want to mix your revision up a bit so you don't burn out on History and English, then obviously spending time on GS would be useful :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by BurstingBubbles
Unless things have changed in 2 years, General Studies is SO varied - questions on Science through to Art - so revising for it is pretty impossible. I think an hour a day might be a waste which could be spent on History. Apart from learning a few terms and reading about some global events, it's all about being able to argue sides, which is going to be strengthened through History and English revision anyway :tongue: Is GS part of your offer?

There's one exam on culture and one on science, and I've got the spec so I have a vaguee idea, but it's still ridiculous to revise for :tongue:

It's not part of my offer :/
Reply 562
Update 07/06/2016

Wow, I haven't updated for a while!

I've been revising pretty solidly for History since last Tuesday, although I was out all day Friday and had a party Friday night so Saturday was rather... unproductive too :mmm:

Yesterday I had a really successful day and worked for 5 hours and 10 mins!I've been going into school every possible day of study leave, because I'm so much more productive there. I've also decided that it's best to just revise History until the History exam is done, as Lit and Lang need a lot less revision. However, I'm a bit stuck about Gen Studs - I don't need it and it's a pretty pointless qualification, but I want to have it as a back up just in case I don't meet my offer and can use it as a way to convince them over the phone. My Gen Studs A2 exam is on the same day as History, so what should I do guys? Give it an hour or so of revision or not do anything? My teacher said that for the AS we don't need to revise (I didn't), but we should for the A2 ones.

Russia: DONE
Gen St 1: DONE
Gen St 2: DONE
Gen St 3: 3 days left
History: 3 days left
Gen St 4: 8 days left
Language: 8 days left
Literature: 10 days left
Revision tracker

I've been tracking how much revision I've been doing for History for the last 2 weeks on here (each box is an hour)

For African Americans I've done 10.5 hours

For Native Americans I've done 7.5 hours

For Workers I've done 8.5 hours

For Women I've done 5 hours

This shows me which topics I need to work more on, i.e. women because I only started it 2 days ago

What do you guys think I should do about Gen Studs?
~Gingerbread~

Quotes

bit late to the party, haven't been getting notifactations until just now.
I'd be tempted not to revise but if an hour wont impact your other exams than there is no harm revising.
Original post by Aph
bit late to the party, haven't been getting notifactations until just now.
I'd be tempted not to revise but if an hour wont impact your other exams than there is no harm revising.

I've been quoting more people in as I go along, only just started quoting all of my friends in - was previously just people who had posted here before :yes:

I have planned 30 mins into my schedule for tomorrow, so I'll see how it goes :h:

There's no chance of you missing your offer, don't be silly. :tongue:
Original post by Zacken
There's no chance of you missing your offer, don't be silly. :tongue:

I thought I'd done well in my exams last year though, and I got a B in the Lit exam, and didn't get over 90% in any of them :erm:
Update 09/06/2016

This is it - tomorrow is the big day!

I'm super nervous about History because it's definitely the hardest exam I've ever done, and I really really want to do well. I'm aiming to get 110/120 or more, but 90% would be 108 (meaning I can only lose up to 6 marks out of 60 on each question). I can safely say I've done more revision for this exam than I have any other, ever!

Wish me luck guys, I'll need it!

Gen St 3: 1 days left
History: 1 days left
Gen St 4: 6 days left
Language: 6 days left
Literature: 8 days left
Revision hours update

As you can see, my target setting was quite ambitious, but it pushed me to do more than I normally would have even though I knew I wouldn't hit the target

This is basically my final total of revision hours for history in the last 16 days

While 39 hours over 16 days is only an average of 2.4 hours a day, I think I successfully kept going at a steady pace

Let's all hope I'm still sane this time tomorrow
~Gingerbread~

Quotes

Update 09/06/2016

I'm super nervous about History because it's definitely the hardest exam I've ever done, and I really really want to do well. I'm aiming to get 110/120 or more, but 90% would be 108 (meaning I can only lose up to 6 marks out of 60 on each question). I can safely say I've done more revision for this exam than I have any other, ever!

Revision hours update

As you can see, my target setting was quite ambitious, but it pushed me to do more than I normally would have even though I knew I wouldn't hit the target

This is basically my final total of revision hours for history in the last 16 days

While 39 hours over 16 days is only an average of 2.4 hours a day, I think I successfully kept going at a steady pace

~Gingerbread~

Quotes

You can do this! :biggrin: :woo: :biggrin:
Original post by Slowbro93
You can do this! :biggrin: :woo: :biggrin:

Thank youu, I hope so! :eek2:
Good luck! All the best :smile: Hopefully, you get the grade you want
Update 09/06/2016

Revision hours update

~Gingerbread~

Quotes

I have the joys and delights of my A2 History exam tomorrow as well! There's so much to learn at A2 compared to AS for the Edexcel course, it's ridiculous, and I think I'll forget everything the second the exam starts... good luck with your exam tomorrow!
Original post by Oblivion99
Good luck! All the best :smile: Hopefully, you get the grade you want

Thank you :hugs:
Original post by doctorwhofan98
I have the joys and delights of my A2 History exam tomorrow as well! There's so much to learn at A2 compared to AS for the Edexcel course, it's ridiculous, and I think I'll forget everything the second the exam starts... good luck with your exam tomorrow!

Same for OCR, at least we don't have to do the AS and A2 exams at the same time like the year below us will :colondollar: good luck to you too! :h:
Update 07/06/2016

Wow, I haven't updated for a while!

I've been revising pretty solidly for History since last Tuesday, although I was out all day Friday and had a party Friday night so Saturday was rather... unproductive too :mmm:

Yesterday I had a really successful day and worked for 5 hours and 10 mins!I've been going into school every possible day of study leave, because I'm so much more productive there. I've also decided that it's best to just revise History until the History exam is done, as Lit and Lang need a lot less revision. However, I'm a bit stuck about Gen Studs - I don't need it and it's a pretty pointless qualification, but I want to have it as a back up just in case I don't meet my offer and can use it as a way to convince them over the phone. My Gen Studs A2 exam is on the same day as History, so what should I do guys? Give it an hour or so of revision or not do anything? My teacher said that for the AS we don't need to revise (I didn't), but we should for the A2 ones.

Gen St 3: 3 days left
History: 3 days left
Gen St 4: 8 days left
Language: 8 days left
Literature: 10 days left
Revision tracker

I've been tracking how much revision I've been doing for History for the last 2 weeks on here (each box is an hour)

For African Americans I've done 10.5 hours

For Native Americans I've done 7.5 hours

For Workers I've done 8.5 hours

For Women I've done 5 hours

This shows me which topics I need to work more on, i.e. women because I only started it 2 days ago

What do you guys think I should do about Gen Studs?
~Gingerbread~

Quotes

General studies isn't an A-Level anyone pays any attention to, so I'd ignore it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Update 12/06/2016

I can't believe I'm almost finished with exams now!

The History exam was actually so so good, the questions were on African Americans, Women and Native Americans and I answered the Women and NA ones. The Women question was honestly the best question ever, it was the style of question that I love and it wasn't worded weirdly or anything. I think the essay I wrote for that is probably the best History essay I've ever done, and I'm so pleased with how that went. The Native American one was a bit more clunky, but I still think it did everything it needed to. According to one of my teachers, she thinks my History teacher had said I'd need 86% in the exam to balance out at 90% with my coursework, so I think an A* might just be achieveable.

I've had Friday and Saturday pretty much work free and feeling light as a feather after History, but now I'm getting back into revising for Lit and Lang again, and thankfully it's all coming back to me very easily. I think putting in that extra revision for the mocks has really helped.

Gen St 3: DONE
History: DONE
Gen St 4: 3 days left
Language: 3 days left
Literature: 5 days left
So many flashcards!

All 284 ish of my flash cards for History :lol:

I really want to keep them but I promise I'm not a hoarder...

How many exams do you guys have left?
~Gingerbread~

Quotes

@Gingerbread101 well done on the history exam, it must feel like a relief to have potentially secured one of the top grades you require! :excited:
Five days until literature... :eek3: I don't think I'll need as much revision for literature, so I'm leaving most of my revision for the night before - I know that seems bad but I've accumulated knowledge from lessons and doing a lot of mock essays. Politics needs my time and attention a lot more. :tongue:
Original post by SinsNotTragedies
@Gingerbread101 well done on the history exam, it must feel like a relief to have potentially secured one of the top grades you require! :excited:
Five days until literature... :eek3: I don't think I'll need as much revision for literature, so I'm leaving most of my revision for the night before - I know that seems bad but I've accumulated knowledge from lessons and doing a lot of mock essays. Politics needs my time and attention a lot more. :tongue:

Thanks :hugs: I don't want to get too complacent so I'm not going to expect anything until I get my results :yes:

Same with me and Language - I have all of my analysis skills down for Literature so it's only the quotes I need to revise
Thanks :hugs: I don't want to get too complacent so I'm not going to expect anything until I get my results :yes:

Same with me and Language - I have all of my analysis skills down for Literature so it's only the quotes I need to revise

Well I'm sure it'll be good :teehee: :hugs:
My teacher showed us some full mark examples and it's made me feel at ease because I've realised how I can do that - I just need more confidence in what I write. So the night before I will make note of what I need to analyse with the extracts (e.g. a paragraph on techniques, on imagery, on dialogue, etcetera) and go over some quotes! :woo:
Well I'm sure it'll be good :teehee: :hugs:
My teacher showed us some full mark examples and it's made me feel at ease because I've realised how I can do that - I just need more confidence in what I write. So the night before I will make note of what I need to analyse with the extracts (e.g. a paragraph on techniques, on imagery, on dialogue, etcetera) and go over some quotes! :woo:

Definitely a well needed confidence boost :h: sounds like a good plan, when is Politics?
Definitely a well needed confidence boost :h: sounds like a good plan, when is Politics?

It was! Made a change from my work and efforts being put down all year long - because this was a different teacher :redface:
Unit 3 on Tuesday and unit 4 on Thursday. :erm: Both in the afternoon - which is good for the first one, and not preferable for the second one...
It was! Made a change from my work and efforts being put down all year long - because this was a different teacher :redface:
Unit 3 on Tuesday and unit 4 on Thursday. :erm: Both in the afternoon - which is good for the first one, and not preferable for the second one...

I'm glad you got a break from him :redface:

At least you get a day of revision in between :yes:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending