Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello all, I was hoping you could help me out.

I recently accepted an offer for a funded place on a PhD training programme (a 4-year programme where you train for a year and commit to a project and a supervisor at the end of year 1). I accepted by simply replying to their email - but I'm guessing I'll soon get an official offer via the uni portal.

I had also applied to another programme at around the same time, but for some reason they extended their deadline, and the interviews for the course are going to be at the end of March...

The second programme is objectively better and more suited to my interests, and I did think about asking the first university to wait, but I felt like saying 'wait till April' when they wanted me to reply within days would have been ridiculous.

Now I'm just plagued with doubt - if the second uni happen to invite me (based on previous applications, it's likely), do I write back to the first one and explain, asking them to wait? Do I wait until after the interview and then potentially reject the first university politely? Do people even reject funded offers once they've accepted them or is that viewed as too rude (I'm guessing it's more an ethical than a legal issue...) ? Any advice would be much appreciated

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

Accepting a funded offer and then rejecting it is not actually all that rare. It is of course not a nice thing to do, but universitites know it happens and they understand - some better some worse. They often also have waitlists for this very purpose and sometimes keep the "rejected" applicants hanging there and not actually rejecting them until the semester is about to commence and they're sure their preferred student is certainly starting the course.

If I were you I would just behave as if I was accepting the first offer and tell them nothing else. If the second offer comes around, then go ahead and politely reject your first offer.

I have rejected a funded offer before. The admissions office was very understanding and didn't seem too bothered. The proposed supervisor didn't reply to my email, and now to think of it, I probably wouldn't have wanted to work with a person like that anyway. I ended up not starting a PhD at all as it didn't feel right at the time. I am now applying again, though.

(Original post by limpid87green)
    Hello all, I was hoping you could help me out.

I recently accepted an offer for a funded place on a PhD training programme (a 4-year programme where you train for a year and commit to a project and a supervisor at the end of year 1). I accepted by simply replying to their email - but I'm guessing I'll soon get an official offer via the uni portal.

I had also applied to another programme at around the same time, but for some reason they extended their deadline, and the interviews for the course are going to be at the end of March...

The second programme is objectively better and more suited to my interests, and I did think about asking the first university to wait, but I felt like saying 'wait till April' when they wanted me to reply within days would have been ridiculous.

Now I'm just plagued with doubt - if the second uni happen to invite me (based on previous applications, it's likely), do I write back to the first one and explain, asking them to wait? Do I wait until after the interview and then potentially reject the first university politely? Do people even reject funded offers once they've accepted them or is that viewed as too rude (I'm guessing it's more an ethical than a legal issue...) ? Any advice would be much appreciated

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.