Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Does anyone feel like a fraud in life? Watch

ReputationRep:
    This is more of a rant, want to write about some things.

I got approached today by a lecturer who wants me to do a PhD with him and it got me thinking today about where I started out and where I am today.

I feel like such a fraud and it is like I am winging everything.

I am probably the most un-academic person you will come across in life and my GCSE grades reflect that. They were so bad you usually are never allowed to progress to A levels.

My AS levels were so bad, you usually dont get the chance to retake your AS exams if they were as bad as mine but I miraculously got accepted into a very good school to redo them.

My A level grades were so crap, it is a miracle I actually got into any university.

In my degree I got a low 2:2 and was told to not even consider a masters but got accepted to a very decent university (just outside the Russell Group) to study for a masters.

In my first semester in masters, I failed one exam (which I have to retake but expected this) and I managed two pass's and a merit.

I suppose the thing is I am very religious and believe in God and I am thankful to God for all the help.

I always try my best in everything and never give up. I get to where I want to be but it feels like I am not worthy of anything. Does anyone else feel this way?

I feel like I dont know anything and I feel like I am not worthy of anything

I wish I could totally smash a round of exams, must be a great feeling

On the positive side, nothing about the future frightens me now, I have learnt to live with the uncertainty and change does not scare me anymore.

ReputationRep:
    I know what you mean, whenever I do well I have this wild moment of euphoria, followed by this empty feeling of either I got lucky or that people are overstating what I've done

Keeps me balanced though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Free Kurdistan)
    I know what you mean, whenever I do well I have this wild moment of euphoria, followed by this empty feeling of either I got lucky or that people are overstating what I've done

Keeps me balanced though.
    Is it a healthy way to remain balanced though?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mathmatician)

I got approached today by a lecturer who wants me to do a PhD with him and it got me thinking today about where I started out and where I am today.

I am probably the most un-academic person you will come across in life and my GCSE grades reflect that. They were so bad you usually are never allowed to progress to A levels.

My AS levels were so bad, you usually dont get the chance to retake your AS exams if they were as bad as mine but I miraculously got accepted into a very good school to redo them.

My A level grades were so crap, it is a miracle I actually got into any university.

In my degree I got a low 2:2 and was told to not even consider a masters but got accepted to a very decent university (just outside the Russell Group) to study for a masters.

In my first semester in masters, I failed one exam (which I have to retake but expected this) and I managed two pass's and a merit.

I suppose the thing is I am very religious and believe in God and I am thankful to God for all the help.

I always try my best in everything and never give up. I get to where I want to be but it feels like I am not worthy of anything. Does anyone else feel this way?

On the positive side, nothing about the future frightens me now, I have learnt to live with the uncertainty and change does not scare me anymore.
    The only problem I found with what you write, is that you say you believe in "god".
    There is no such thing as a "god".
    It's a human invention.
    We evolved from the apes, through millions of years of evolution.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Animatrix)
    The only problem I found with what you write, is that you say you believe in "god".
    It's a human invention.
    dont you think that's a whole other topic?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    In this life, you have to take whatever good fortune you can get and run with it. Making the most of any opportunity that comes you way is how people become successful.

ReputationRep:

Awhhhh well I mean you must be doing SOMETHING right
    don't jinx it embrace it
    it's okay - some people may not be fortunate but that doesn't mean YOU should feel bad about yourself! When you make it, help those less fortunate to live a great life as well. Unfortunately luck (or blessing) and I are like 2 north ends of a magnet :lol: so just use this for good and you'll be fine (and feel better too)

You owe noone anything so don't feel bad

ReputationRep:

Sexual favours have their benefits

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by z33)
    Awhhhh well I mean you must be doing SOMETHING right
    don't jinx it embrace it
    it's okay - some people may not be fortunate but that doesn't mean YOU should feel bad about yourself! When you make it, help those less fortunate to live a great life as well. Unfortunately luck (or blessing) and I are like 2 north ends of a magnet :lol: so just use this for good and you'll be fine (and feel better too)

You owe noone anything so don't feel bad
    Thanks for the support

I think it just shows that in the end worrying does not do anything and as long as you done give up, it is fine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Betelgeuse-)
    Sexual favours have their benefits
    hahaha

ReputationRep:
    At least you're not the other way and like absolutely amazing but you let everyone else know about it.
    You get stuff done and that's something to be proud of.
    Honestly, I don't react much to praise either just awkwardly go yeah and carry on, it's the worst thing to let success get to your head.

ReputationRep:
    No need to feel bad about it, run with it and be happy.

(Original post by Animatrix)
    It's a human invention.
    Dude... just... egh

*eye twitches*

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.