Turn on thread page Beta

UK ban on all legal drugs - coming soon! watch

Announcements
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    The end is nigh...New Law Coming into force in the UK banning Research Chemicals

Most of you will probably already be aware of the changing law in the UK however we are getting lots of emails *removed* asking how this will affect ***, so we're emailing *removed* to give you a heads-up on the situation.

The UK has a new law which is due to be introduced on the 6th of April called the Psychoactive Substances Bill. This new law is targeted at the 'legal highs' and Research Chemicals industry and is modelled on a similar one currently in place in Ireland. Essentially it prohibits any chemical which can effect the brain unless that compound is specifically excluded in the bill (cigarettes, alcohol etc). This is clearly a very ambiguous law and nobody knows exactly how this will play out or be enforced however we will not be taking any risks and subsequently we have no option but to close the website for the foreseeable future. We have spoken with other leading vendors and it seems that all UK-based vendors will also be shutting down.

We will be closing down on the 18th of March *removed* our website. It is obviously with great sadness that we have to end this venture which we have been running for the past 6 years and if we believed we could stay open and remain within the law we would do so however we simply cannot take the risk. We would like to thank you all for your custom and support over the past 6 years. In the meantime *removed*.

The *** Team
    Got this forwarded newsletter recently (if anyone knows the source, don't mention it please nor any vendor).

Come to think of it, a lot of tea businesses will also need to close down due to various natural substances, including kratom. I wonder if Amazon and a couple others will be affected as well.

This is quite a scary one coming into force.

ReputationRep:
    Because banning all the other drugs stopped people using them...

In all seriousness you really shouldn't be using research chems, they are far more dangerous than drugs people actually know about.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    "Hey there fellow lawmakers, I have a great idea that will make everybody more safe. Lets have a blanket ban on all mind altering substances, but allow two of the most dangerous and harmful ones to remain legal."

Flawless logic.

ReputationRep:
    I am glad they will not ban alcohol ...
    Name:  c19.jpg
Views: 370
Size:  52.8 KB

ReputationRep:
    So does that make owning Lophophora williamsi or any other cactus (like those in the Echinopsis genus) which contains any degree of mescaline naturally now illegal? Since I do/have owned them and they're readily available to buy, and we're not talking as buying them to use as legal highs, just that they're on most standard cactus sellers websites as an ornamental plant, especially in the latters case due to the large flowers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joey11223)
    So does that make owning Lophophora williamsi or any other cactus (like those in the Echinopsis genus) which contains any degree of mescaline naturally now illegal? Since I do/have owned them and they're readily available to buy, and we're not talking as buying them to use as legal highs, just that they're on most standard cactus sellers websites as an ornamental plant, especially in the latters case due to the large flowers.
    Mescaline has been a class A for a while now but I don't think the cactus is illegal yet.

ReputationRep:
    More pointless laws. Coming sooner!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    As far as I'm aware various cacti and flowers as well as a whole bunch of other stuff were getting banned as well under this act, yes.

I think that was reported in the first revision of the act however, it may have been changed.

It's a ridiculously backwards idea.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DiddyDec)
    Mescaline has been a class A for a while now but I don't think the cactus is illegal yet.
    Yeah sorry should have clarified, though for some reason the legality on Mescaline slipped my mind, dunno why I thought it was legal, just meant more that with them cracking down on all things drug related, are they going to start banning natural sources of legal/illegal drugs.

But I suppose it's like shrooms, they're illegal in both fresh and dry form now but...they grow in the wild so...it's not exactly easy to enforce I'd have thought, most people owning the cacti purely as a part of a display of succulents likely don't know they contain the chemical.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah sorry should have clarified, though for some reason the legality on Mescaline slipped my mind, dunno why I thought it was legal, just meant more that with them cracking down on all things drug related, are they going to start banning natural sources of legal/illegal drugs.

But I suppose it's like shrooms, they're illegal in both fresh and dry form now but...they grow in the wild so...it's not exactly easy to enforce I'd have thought, most people owning the cacti purely as a part of a display of succulents likely don't know they contain the chemical.
    Given how badly policed drugs are, I wouldn't worry about it one bit. They still haven't cracked down on the mail order drugs market, Royal Mail are still delivering Class A drugs.

ReputationRep:
    good

ReputationRep:
    You have to bear in mind that behind the government making this law is a large group of concerned voters who genuinely think this is how you combat drug use.

ReputationRep:
    3/10 too obvious

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Final Fantasy)
    Got this forwarded newsletter recently (if anyone knows the source, don't mention it please nor any vendor).

Come to think of it, a lot of tea businesses will also need to close down due to various natural substances, including kratom. I wonder if Amazon and a couple others will be affected as well.

This is quite a scary one coming into force.
    I'd heard of this law but thought it had been thrown out due to ambiguity and stuff

ReputationRep:
    Eventually, this is going to lead to the creation of a drug so dangerous, it will lead to a mass number of deaths or addiction.

This exactly how Coke and etc came onto the market.

Then all of the Anti-Drug people will say "We told you!"
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by morgan8002)
    3/10 too obvious
    Care to elaborate?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DiddyDec)
    Because banning all the other drugs stopped people using them...

In all seriousness you really shouldn't be using research chems, they are far more dangerous than drugs people actually know about.
    This is true, but nobody would use RCs at all if far safer drugs were legal. Most class A substances are safer than alcohol for **** sake.

These nasty little dinosaurs should just stop passing laws on things they know nothing about.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Final Fantasy)
    Care to elaborate?
    You at least put some effort in and made it interesting but were just too obvious to get a lot of points.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by morgan8002)
    You at least put some effort in and made it interesting but were just too obvious to get a lot of points.
    Sorry. No idea what you're talking about here.

Perhaps you've got the wrong thread. This is about the Psychoactive Substances bill which was given Royal Assent last month and is now an Act of Parliament.

http://services.parliament.uk/bills/...ubstances.html

ReputationRep:
    this bans nootropics, right?

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.