Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

EU Applicants: Doubts due to BREXIT? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hey everyone,

so after looking into the Brexit issue in-depth and how it may affect us EU university applicants I am starting to doubt my decision to study in the UK.
    Maybe I'm overreacting, but for the last five years I have been planning everything around studying, and likely remaining, in the UK and the sudden uncertainty of it all is honestly heartbreaking.
    We have to accept a uni spot before the referendum, so we will have no chance to await the outcome and then decide.

Does anyone share my worries? Are you rethinking your UK uni plans?

ReputationRep:
    I am British but grew up in Vienna. Actually i was born there too. My whole English family lives in Vienna still.

If Britain leaves the EU, our entire future is uncertain, not just university plans lol. So you might think that i am pro EU.

But actually, i want Britain to leave, i really think it is what is best for the British people. They have never really been part of a political Europe and have a more independent history. So maybe i will be forced to leave the only home i know, or get a VISA, lol.

But i still think its the right thing. I am sure however that your university plans will not be significantly affected as Britain loves students and will prob keep current agreements on EU students. You may just need a VISA like me

Hope that makes you feel better.

ReputationRep:
    Brexit would indeed be a disaster for higher education
    http://www.theguardian.com/politics/...tephen-hawking
    . As far as I know the tuition fees are fixed for the next year and won't change so I think the worst case scenario is that we will drop out after the first year and transfer to second year at a university elsewhere in the EU or in home country.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    (Original post by mjones96)
    Hey everyone,

so after looking into the Brexit issue in-depth and how it may affect us EU university applicants I am starting to doubt my decision to study in the UK.
    Maybe I'm overreacting, but for the last five years I have been planning everything around studying, and likely remaining, in the UK and the sudden uncertainty of it all is honestly heartbreaking.
    We have to accept a uni spot before the referendum, so we will have no chance to await the outcome and then decide.

Does anyone share my worries? Are you rethinking your UK uni plans?
    Honestly its not heartbrealing and you are working yourself into a tizz over nothing.
    Yes you are overreacting.

You can accept one after the referendum if you wish, but there will be transitional arrangements.

1. Imo if you accept one before it will make no difference.

2. If you accept one during the transitional arrangements, there will be no difference, because the UK government isnt going to dump on you when it also has students abroad.

3. If you accept one after the negotiations, then its more likely there will be bilateral arrangements between the UK and your home country, although I suspect its more likely with richer nations.

4. At the moment I dont think we will exit. that's just my opinion of which way U think its going for now.

So no I wouldnt be rethinking my plans, but if you wnat to believe the sky is going to fall in, thats your choice.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
    Useful resources
    US study forum

Accommodation profiles:

iQ Student Accommodation

iQ Student Accommodation

Great value student rooms in city centre locations all across the UK

X1 Lettings

X1 Lettings

Luxury student accommodation in Liverpool & Manchester.

Collegiate Accommodation

Collegiate Accommodation

"This is student living. Just better."

Scape Student Living

Study Inn

Providing stunning high quality, boutique student accommodation throughout the UK

The Student Housing Company

The Student Housing Company

Award-winning student accommodation - voted by 22,000 students.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.