Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Captain America: Civil War, whose side are you on? Watch

• View Poll Results: Whose side are you on?
    Iron Man (Oversight and Accountability)
    50.00%
    Captain America (Ability to do what is right without red tape)
    45.00%
    Civilians (Stop blowing up our towns whilst you lot have an argument)
    5.00%

ReputationRep:
    There hasn't really seemed to be a thread about this. I was curious who people would agree with more.

Marvels third Captain America movie comes out in a few months, pitting the Avengers against one another when the worlds governments decide their needs to be some form of oversight and accountability for them after the events of Age of Ultron.

Captain America thinks the Avengers should have free reign and operate without interference, whereas Iron Man favours having accountability and oversight for them.

A lot of people seem a bit confused why Iron Man and Captain America are taking the sides they are but think about what happens to them over the course of the MCU.

Iron Man
    Iron Man 1: His weapons end up in the hands of terrorists because there was little oversight into what his company was doing. Furthermore a number of S.H.I.E.L.D. agents die when the technology he develops is taken out of his hands.

Iron Man 2: Little oversight on Hammer industries means they hire a criminal to work for them resulting in lots of people being endangered, and again the technology he develops is used to harm others.

Avengers: S.H.I.E.L.D. an organisation with no oversight meddles with power it can't control and almost destroys the world.

Iron Man 3: Yet another organisation that no one looks too closely at kills dozens of people and tries to take over the government.

Avengers Age of Ultron: Starks actions whilst well meaning almost destroy the world because no one thought to check what the Avengers were doing.

In short everything that goes wrong for Iron Man could have been avoided if there had been some form of legitimate oversight.

Captain America
    Captain America: The First Avenger: Rogers gets his shot to join the army because one man ignores everyone else and takes him on and gives him the super soldier serum. He gets the opportunity to lead the most famous military unit in history because he disobeyed direct orders to not rescue them.

Avengers: The Council overseeing S.H.I.E.L.D. tries to nuke New York and its only though one mans actions that doesn't happen.

Captain America: The Winter Soldier: S.H.I.E.L.D. is revealed to be corrupt and Captain America is the one who unilaterally decides to destroys it which results in Hydra being exposed.

Avengers Age of Ultron: The Avengers take out one of the largest Hydra strongholds in spite of resistance of the local populace and stop an evil A.I. on their own.

Everything that goes right for Captain America happens because someone disobeys orders, ignores oversight or does something that oversight would have interfered with.

So who do you think is right?

TLDR

Iron Mans failures and disasters could have all been averted if someone had been supervising.

Captain America exists and has been successful because he's acted as a free agent not constrained by oversight.

ReputationRep:
    I understand both points but I'm Team Tony all the way through

The trailer does seem to make it seem more of a 'saving Bucky' issue though

ReputationRep:
    I found the arguments in OP a little confusing, but to me it's a war of ideology rather than clear-cut good vs evil. Both sides are accountable for their actions in the previous films, but Iron Man seems to have a more antagonistic attitude rather than being diplomatic like Cap (see the clip where Cap says "This doesn't have to end in a fight, Tony" and Iron Man punches him). So after watching the new trailer this week, I'm with Team Captain America. Reasons why (some speculation/minor spoilers ahead):

Spoiler:
    Show

-Bucky Barnes killed Howard Stark and T'Chaka (Black Panther's father) while brainwashed as The Winter Soldier. Cap is defending his friend knowing his true character as opposed to taking his actions at face value like Black Panther and Iron Man are. But that's understandable when you're dealing with someone who killed your father.

-Black Panther is a grey character with his own agenda. He wants revenge on Bucky for the death of his father, which makes me think he's only siding with Iron Man as a means to an end. Team Iron Man is already divided.

-I think Bucky will end up injuring/killing War Machine in self-defence. Team Iron Man has firepower which I think they will use to go on the offensive rather than trying to sort out their differences amicably like Cap wants to do.

-Spider Man is apparently recruited by Tony Stark because the latter got to him first. Does Spider-Man really agree with either side? In the comics he was not sympathetic to either side. Difficult to tell how faithful the film adaptation will be to his character, but I think Spider-Man is reluctant to side with Iron Man.

-As well as defending himself against Team Iron Man, Cap also has to deal with Crossbones and Baron Zemo. 3 sides against one doesn't seem fair so I'm rooting for the underdog (and not just cos the film is called Captain America, lol).

ReputationRep:
    The new trailer for anyone who hasn't made up their minds, lol.

ReputationRep:
    Iron Man can suck my left nut. I find Stark way too arrogant.

ReputationRep:
    Team Iron Man ftw here

Never really liked CA, and Stark's a bit of a badass, so he gets my backing all the way :yep:

ReputationRep:
    It depends on exactly what the Act they want to put in place asks of the heroes. The scale of Civil War is a lot smaller than the comics (which involved dozens or even hundreds of different heroes and villains) and a lot of the stuff that divided the sides is a bit less relevant, making it a little less clear who's in the right- which is probably intentional, because they don't want to demonise a group of characters that are going to go back to being the protagonists of their movies for the next decade.

Also, to expand on OP's original list of film summaries to help decide whether you're for/against superhero regulation, here are the relevant points for the other relevant MCU films (the only exception so far being Guardians of the Galaxy);

*The Incredible Hulk: The Hulk may not be in this movie (or he may appear as a cameo/surprise reveal), but this less popular movie in the series still has a bit of relevant info. The military bloke outlining the need for regulation to the Avengers in the newest trailer, General Ross, was involved with setting up the experiment that turned Bruce Banner into The Hulk, after which point Ross wants to capture and use hulk as a weapon. Depending on how much the others know about his involvement, this could be a point that they clash over.

*Thor & Thor 2: After Thor is exiled from Asgard, Earth essentially becomes the Asgardian's battleground of choice. Coupled with the randomly opening and closing portals between worlds in Thor 2, it's another example of how attacks from other worlds can strike at any time and could be used as an example of the need for heroes who are not constrained by regulation to respond quickly.

*Ant Man: The original Ant Man is originally a S.H.I.E.L.D agent before resigning, and chooses to take his shrinking technology with him to prevent its abuse. However this doesn't work and his future business partner is able to get very close to replicating, something that may not have happened if he continued to work with government forces rather than pursuing personal gain (or even if the suit was later replicated, he would been able to call on other heroes for help). However at the same time S.H.I.E.L.D do end up becoming Hydra, validating Hank Pym's original fears. It's presumably for this reason that Lang sides with Cap.

ReputationRep:
    Team Stark:boxing:
    • Community Assistant

Community Assistant
    team america
    • TSR Group Staff

ReputationRep:
    TSR Group Staff
    Team america too!!! Are you watching the midnight screening tonight ? x

ReputationRep:
    Civil War arrives tomorrow :woo:

ReputationRep:
    Team iron
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    Anybody watched the movie?

I really really enjoyed it

First time saw the trailer for Dr. Strange.... I want to see it , badly!!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.