Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Okay, so here's my long and complicated situation -

I went to uni for 3 years. I passed my first year, but failed my second. I retook my second year, but due to health reasons I failed again. I was awarded extenuating circumstances and took a third attempt at my second year, but just as I was starting my year again student finance had decided to cut me off, even though I had evidence for my extenuating circumstances in the form of a doctor's note. By this time, I was feeling battered and bruised by the whole thing so I decided that instead of borrowing the course fees from my parents and feeling immense guilt, I would be better off withdrawing from uni altogether and trying to start a career. This was at the end of September, and needless to say, after countless interviews and promising phone calls with over enthusiastic recruiters, I'm still unemployed (sigh).

I realised a few weeks ago where I was going wrong though. I ultimately want to get into PR & Marketing, although I have absolutely zero experience and am now without a degree, or even a HND. My plan was to just get into a trainee sales job and figure out how to get into PR while at least earning some money, but nearly 5 months later I was still unemployed so decided to apply for PR apprenticeships instead, to at least get SOME experience. I've been rejected from most of those for being overqualified (i.e having A Levels while applying for intermediate apprenticeships which are GCSE Level), but Higher Apprenticeships, which are what come after A Level, are in such short supply, especially in PR & Marketing!! I've finally managed to nail down an interview for one tomorrow though, but I KNOW she's going to ask me about uni, because it's a question in the application form. If you've completed ANY part of a degree you're automatically ineligible for apprenticeships, so she's obviously going to ask me how I managed to stay at uni for 3 years, going into a 4th, and not come away with at least a HND.

I'm so sorry for waffling on, thanks for staying with me so far! This is the real question I'm getting at:

What exactly should I tell the interviewer? The way I see it, telling her I failed twice could either go one of two ways - either she appreciates my honesty, determination and ability to pick myself back up and keep going, or she'll think I'd be incapable of completing the apprenticeship because I failed. What should I do???
    • Community Assistant
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    CV Helper
    (Original post by cometojoy)
    "I had quite a serious health issue while I was at University, which meant, although I had several attempts, I couldn't complete any qualifications at all. The health issue is now fully resolved, but in the time I was recuperating, I realised that I wanted to do something a bit more practical and more people and project focussed [or whatever you think PR and Marketing is] so I decided to apply for this apprenticeship which I hope will give me the best foundation for my future career"

The thing about health issues is be clear there was one, but move straight on - no interviewer will ever go back and ask more if you say clearly that the issue is now resolved.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by threeportdrift)
    "I had quite a serious health issue while I was at University, which meant, although I had several attempts, I couldn't complete any qualifications at all. The health issue is now fully resolved, but in the time I was recuperating, I realised that I wanted to do something a bit more practical and more people and project focussed [or whatever you think PR and Marketing is] so I decided to apply for this apprenticeship which I hope will give me the best foundation for my future career"

The thing about health issues is be clear there was one, but move straight on - no interviewer will ever go back and ask more if you say clearly that the issue is now resolved.
    That's incredibly helpful, thank you so much!!

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.