AQA A2 Geography essay help! Watch

hannahrob97
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I recently recieved a practice essay question which was "Earthquake hazards are almost entirely human in origin. Discuss."

Now I interpreted this as discuss hazards which are human in origin (such as fires caused by collapsing phone lines, collapsing buildings and spreading disease) as well as natural hazards (like tsunamis, ground shaking and landslides) and I came to the conclusion that hazards were more natural than human in origin. However my teacher said something about the question being about if humans caused earthquakes or something???

How would you interpret this question?
preetg97
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by hannahrob97)
I recently recieved a practice essay question which was "Earthquake hazards are almost entirely human in origin. Discuss."

Now I interpreted this as discuss hazards which are human in origin (such as fires caused by collapsing phone lines, collapsing buildings and spreading disease) as well as natural hazards (like tsunamis, ground shaking and landslides) and I came to the conclusion that hazards were more natural than human in origin. However my teacher said something about the question being about if humans caused earthquakes or something???

How would you interpret this question?
You ought to be discussing the origin of a earthquake - so if a human causes it or not.

So for example, arguing that some earthquakes can result from human activity such as quasi-natural earthquakes (look them up), from mining, fracking, and building dams for example. There is a case study where an earthquake resulting from dam building in Sichuan, China which you can pull some figures from. But then counteract this by saying that most earthquakes are a purely natural occurrence, resulting from geological activity. Then introduce some case studies into this - e.g. Haiti and Christchurch. You can do on to discuss humans worsening the impact then through factors such as urbanisation, which increased the death toll in Christchurch, and pancaking of buildings in Haiti due to poor building codes and it being an LEDC.

Sorry if a bit rusty, finished Geography A2 last year.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Aston University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Solent University
    Careers in maritime Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Feb '19

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (1278)
79.73%
Leave (325)
20.27%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed