The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
ask me that in a few months when I am a weapons controller. lol. We have BMEWS too which can inflict a hell of a lot of damage when needed
Reply 2
its kept in scotland and a few submarines.
Reply 3
imasillynarb
I read in newscientist the UK has about 250 Nukes, where do they keep them? My dad reckons its in some RAF base north of glasgow...

but yes they are at a RAF base. well, those they tell people about
Reply 4
oh and here :-D
Reply 5
imasillynarb
I read in newscientist the UK has about 250 Nukes, where do they keep them? My dad reckons its in some RAF base north of glasgow...

Why do you want to know? *is suspicious*
imasillynarb

:eek: don't do anything stupid.
Aldermaston, Faslane and Coulport.

MB
musicboy

MB

and yes, faslane and coulport are on the clyde so near lasgow.

MB
Reply 9
musicboy

MB

Yeh my dad said Faslane, how come theyre all in scotland? Is it just for the subs?
imasillynarb
how come theyre all in scotland?

I'm really surprised that a sarky biggot hasn't yet interjected with the oh-so predictable "obviously damage limitation in the case of an accident" joke. Where is Dazya when you need him? :rolleyes:
Aldermaston is where the UKEA is based. It has long been a center for atomic science in the UK so that makes sense. They probably have other secret locations as well.
The Scottish bases are beacuse the clyde was used for shipbuliding and is deep enough for subs as well as being inland. Supprised there noe as roslaire, though.
The UK's main nuclear deterrent is the Trident II D5 missile, carried by the Vanguard class submarine. The RAF does not currently have any nuclear weapons in service- this is primarily due to the capabilities (and cost) of the Trident II system.

Check out http://www.mod.uk/issues/nucwhead/deterrent.htm
MuvverRussia
The UK's main nuclear deterrent is the Trident II D5 missile, carried by the Vanguard class submarine. The RAF does not currently have any nuclear weapons in service- this is primarily due to the capabilities (and cost) of the Trident II system.

Check out http://www.mod.uk/issues/nucwhead/deterrent.htm

Heaven forbid it, but should the situation change, and a nuclear strike against some suitably petty aggressor (like Fr*nc* :wink: ) is required - what would need to happen if the weapons are 'out of service'? And, more to the point, does this mean that the UK could not initiate a rapid nuclear strike with her own weapons at the present time?
No, we just use the Trident system (that's what it was designed for lol) and nuke the living shit out of whatever country we want. The tridents need only a few hours notice before a first strike- this is plenty of time, as we would realise that the situation would require this level of force long before it's needed. The trident system is under the control of the RN btw.

The RAF weapons were taken out of service generally because Trident replaced them- MIRV nuclear missiles are a hell of a lot more effective than free fall nukes.
So we have weapons of mass destruction too!
Reply 16
mobbdeeprob
I'm really surprised that a sarky biggot hasn't yet interjected with the oh-so predictable "obviously damage limitation in the case of an accident" joke. Where is Dazya when you need him? :rolleyes:

Shit. I was going to say that :frown:.
NDGAARONDI
So we have weapons of mass destruction too!

Are you being sarcastic? Of course we do as well as many other countries
confusd_puzzled
Are you being sarcastic? Of course we do as well as many other countries

I was being sarcastic, was bored. Should have used a smilie to indicate my tone.
Reply 19
Countries that have admitted to having Nukes:

USA - 10,600
UK - 200
Russia - 18,000
China - 400
France - 350
North Korea - 2
Israel - 200
India - 35
Pakistan - 50

(Source : New Scientist June '04)