Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I read in newscientist the UK has about 250 Nukes, where do they keep them? My dad reckons its in some RAF base north of glasgow...
    • CV Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    ask me that in a few months when I am a weapons controller. lol. We have BMEWS too which can inflict a hell of a lot of damage when needed

ReputationRep:
    its kept in scotland and a few submarines.
    • CV Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by imasillynarb)
    I read in newscientist the UK has about 250 Nukes, where do they keep them? My dad reckons its in some RAF base north of glasgow...
    but yes they are at a RAF base. well, those they tell people about

ReputationRep:
    oh and here :-D
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    Why do you want to know? *is suspicious*

ReputationRep:
    :eek: don't do anything stupid.

ReputationRep:
    Aldermaston, Faslane and Coulport.

MB

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by musicboy)

MB
    and yes, faslane and coulport are on the clyde so near lasgow.

MB

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by musicboy)

MB
    Yeh my dad said Faslane, how come theyre all in scotland? Is it just for the subs?

ReputationRep:
    how come theyre all in scotland?
    I'm really surprised that a sarky biggot hasn't yet interjected with the oh-so predictable "obviously damage limitation in the case of an accident" joke. Where is Dazya when you need him? :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Aldermaston is where the UKEA is based. It has long been a center for atomic science in the UK so that makes sense. They probably have other secret locations as well.
    The Scottish bases are beacuse the clyde was used for shipbuliding and is deep enough for subs as well as being inland. Supprised there noe as roslaire, though.

ReputationRep:
    The UK's main nuclear deterrent is the Trident II D5 missile, carried by the Vanguard class submarine. The RAF does not currently have any nuclear weapons in service- this is primarily due to the capabilities (and cost) of the Trident II system.

Check out http://www.mod.uk/issues/nucwhead/deterrent.htm

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MuvverRussia)
    The UK's main nuclear deterrent is the Trident II D5 missile, carried by the Vanguard class submarine. The RAF does not currently have any nuclear weapons in service- this is primarily due to the capabilities (and cost) of the Trident II system.

Check out http://www.mod.uk/issues/nucwhead/deterrent.htm
    Heaven forbid it, but should the situation change, and a nuclear strike against some suitably petty aggressor (like Fr*nc* ) is required - what would need to happen if the weapons are 'out of service'? And, more to the point, does this mean that the UK could not initiate a rapid nuclear strike with her own weapons at the present time?

ReputationRep:
    No, we just use the Trident system (that's what it was designed for lol) and nuke the living **** out of whatever country we want. The tridents need only a few hours notice before a first strike- this is plenty of time, as we would realise that the situation would require this level of force long before it's needed. The trident system is under the control of the RN btw.

The RAF weapons were taken out of service generally because Trident replaced them- MIRV nuclear missiles are a hell of a lot more effective than free fall nukes.

ReputationRep:
    So we have weapons of mass destruction too!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mobbdeeprob)
    I'm really surprised that a sarky biggot hasn't yet interjected with the oh-so predictable "obviously damage limitation in the case of an accident" joke. Where is Dazya when you need him? :rolleyes:
    ****. I was going to say that .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NDGAARONDI)
    So we have weapons of mass destruction too!
    Are you being sarcastic? Of course we do as well as many other countries

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by confusd_puzzled)
    Are you being sarcastic? Of course we do as well as many other countries
    I was being sarcastic, was bored. Should have used a smilie to indicate my tone.

ReputationRep:
    Countries that have admitted to having Nukes:

USA - 10,600
    UK - 200
    Russia - 18,000
    China - 400
    France - 350
    North Korea - 2
    Israel - 200
    India - 35
    Pakistan - 50

(Source : New Scientist June '04)

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 29, 2004
Poll
The new Gillette ad. Is it:
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.