Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    maybe this has already been discussed - sorry, but i got kind of lost in TSR :my daughter, 6th year in ireland, but of german nationality, applied at one university she would like to go for law.
    rethinking she realized that might not be the smartest choice to study law of an foreign country being german and not planning to stay abroad forever and she has found other courses there which seem more approbriate and interessting as f.e.
    international relations and law

what is
    government, policy and society
    about ?
    it seems to cover a lot of what she is interested in, but we couldn't find real substantial informations about that

can she change her courses ?

thanks !

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by super-mom)
    maybe this has already been discussed - sorry, but i got kind of lost in TSR :my daughter, 6th year in ireland, but of german nationality, applied at one university she would like to go for law.
    rethinking she realized that might not be the smartest choice to study law of an foreign country being german and not planning to stay abroad forever and she has found other courses there which seem more approbriate and interessting as f.e.
    international relations and law

what is
    government, policy and society
    about ?
    it seems to cover a lot of what she is interested in, but we couldn't find real substantial informations about that

can she change her courses ?

thanks !
    Has she applied to law in Southern Ireland or the UK (including Northern Ireland)? If she has applied outside the UK, probably most of the advice you get on here won't apply.

If she wants to apply to other courses in the UK and she's only applied to one, then she has two options- She can still add options via UCAS, up to five. She's passed the deadline for equal consideration, but this won't necessarily be a problem for less popular courses. She could ask the unis she's interested in if they still have spaces before she does this.

The other option, if she's sure she doesn't want to study law, is to withdraw from that choice and use UCAS Extra. This means she can apply to one university at a time, and they would usually respond to her with 21 days. If she hears no response after 21 days, she can withdraw and apply to another uni and so on. If she doesn't find a space via Extra, she could also go through clearing once she has her results.

I hope this helps a bit

ReputationRep:
    thanks for the answer.
    maybe I should have given more detailed information !
    she applied to 5 uk- universities, was interviewed and but then rejected from cambridge, got a conditional offer for KCL , so 'extra' is no real option because she will try to get into KCL.
    by now she still hasn't got any answer of
    bristol
    edinburgh ( where she would want to change course/ degree)
    UCL

she also applied
    in ireland ( trinity and UCD), but there she gets "officially" the option to change in june in case she wants to and so there is no "panicking"because she knows there will be no offer made before the results are out.

ReputationRep:
    thanks for the answer.
    maybe I should have given more detailed information !
    she applied to 5 uk- universities, was interviewed and but then rejected from cambridge, got a conditional offer for KCL , so 'extra' is no real option because she will try to get into KCL.
    by now she still hasn't got any answer of
    bristol
    edinburgh ( where she would want to change course/ degree)
    UCL

she also applied
    in ireland ( trinity and UCD), but there she gets "officially" the option to change in june in case she wants to and so there is no "panicking"because she knows there will be no offer made before the results are out.
    If she's specifically interested in another course at Edinburgh and they haven't given an offer yet, then she can email them and explain she'd like to be considered for the other course instead. They don't have to consider her for a different course, but given she wants to switch from a more popular to a less popular course it's certainly possible they'd consider her request.

ETA: Bristol and UCL are both quite slow at giving out offers, so there's still a good chance she'll get offers from them too!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SlowlorisIncognito)
    If she's specifically interested in another course at Edinburgh and they haven't given an offer yet, then she can email them and explain she'd like to be considered for the other course instead. They don't have to consider her for a different course, but given she wants to switch from a more popular to a less popular course it's certainly possible they'd consider her request.

ETA: Bristol and UCL are both quite slow at giving out offers, so there's still a good chance she'll get offers from them too!

oh, that makes waiting a little bit easier ! thx !

I emailed her the options ....let's see what the girl will figure out ( she will need an insurance in uk anyway, i guess) 😇

ReputationRep:
    oh, that makes waiting a little bit easier ! thx !

I emailed her the options ....let's see what the girl will figure out ( she will need an insurance in uk anyway, i guess) 😇
    Yes, in the UK if she's going to have conditional offers, it is usual to pick a firm and an insurance- But it's not required, especially as she's applied elsewhere abroad and might consider applying for different courses in clearing.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.