Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Hello my friends,

I am currently in my final year for BEng electrical and electronic engineering at UCL. I believe I can get the first.

I have no experience, I applied like for few internships in previous years and this year but did not find any.
    I also applied for about 50 graduate jobs and out of all of them about 5 video interviewed me and 3 telephone interviewed me. I believe I did good in those interviews but I think they reconsider my work experience.

I also tried finding a job in finance but it didn't work.

Before the applications, I went to my uni career advice and they checked my CV.
    I also went to my career advice after the applications and they said "keep applying".

I have no idea what to do. HELP! pls.

Keep trying, even after graduation you'll probably face rejections. Just keep trying don't let the rejections get to you, eventually you will find something.

Im pretty sure with a first you can get a good job, all i can say is just keep applying as much as you can, you are wanted out there!

I would suggest continuing applying. I also would suggest broadening your scope to include foreign employment. The entire Uk is about 10% smaller than Nevada in land area. I would never consider looking for a job in only one state here. You restrict yourself tremendously doing that. With no experience, you are at a disadvantage to a degree. An advantage you do have, is that you are relatively cheap [until you acquire experience and an advanced degree]. Consider government employment. GCHQ, and other agencies in the Uk should be recruiting for engineers, some for overseas posts. Recognise that EVERYONE wants to go to Paris... Madrid...etc. Few ppl want to go to less desirable places. I spent 3 years after i graduated in 1969 with a bachelor's degree in electrical engineering, in what was described as "an isolated, extreme hardship post". It was on the US state Dept "level 3 list". The only other place on that list was Lhasa, Tibet - where the Potala palace is. The advantage was, the "site differential" - i.e. the bonus you got for working there - was 35%. I came back after 3 years, and bought a house with the proceeds. You might also find a spot with the Uk military AS A CIVILIAN. Personally, i would not recommend a military career for a degreed professional. I don't think the military (yours or ours) appreciate professional degrees - engineering in particular. Ordinarily, places like Schlumberger, Boots & Coots, Oil Well Services Inc, and such are looking for engineers, but they all service oil companies, and that business is really depressed right now - altho they might be worth a look anyway. Bechtel [and the Uk equivalent - whose name i can never remember] do heavy construction - like major dams and such. They might be worth a look. Another possibility might be to "job shop" - where you take a contract to work on an engineering program for a short period of time. This is done to help them out over a 'crunch' period - like getting a satellite launched on schedule. This sort of job would be hard to get without experience in that area though. There are jobs out there. I would not expect to work within commuting distance of where you grew up though. There's a whole world out there - go explore some of it!! Good Luck!!!

Keep applying, see if you can find some places to volunteer at. Even if it's not connected to your profession, it will still give you experience and show the employers that you are willing to work.

•  Official Rep

Official Rep
    Hi there, its Amanda here at BCU! I thought I'd introduce you to our graduate Katja as she's got a fab job working as an engineer for Siemens. She's shared some advice on getting ahead in engineering so I thought it might help? See: www.bcu.ac.uk/how-to/katja Good luck!

Keep applying. Trust me you will land something soon.
Have you ever experienced racism/sexism at uni?
Useful resources

Featured recruiter profiles:

ICAEW logo

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.