The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Matrix123
Oh haha you posted your reply inside my quote! I was sat there for so long thinking: I didn't type that! Well, in answer to your question, biology revision. Woo! Haha, I know you want to cheer too so I won't hold you back Posted from TSR Mobile

hahaha oops I have a habit of doing that - sorry!! Ahh I see - fun :tongue: hahahaha :woo:
Original post by Amellia123
hahaha oops I have a habit of doing that - sorry!! Ahh I see - fun :tongue: hahahaha :woo:

Haha don't worry - I'll just have to worry about that for next time! :lol:

Yeah - ooh, do you mind if I ask you a question about chromatography? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Haha don't worry - I'll just have to worry about that for next time! :lol:

Yeah - ooh, do you mind if I ask you a question about chromatography? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hahaha yep! And of course not - ask away! :smile:
Hahaha yep! And of course not - ask away! :smile:

Thanks! Urmm...why would a non-aqueous solvent be used instead of water as the mobile phase? (My guess is because if you have different unknown samples, there's a greater chance they'll dissolve in it but I'm not certain...)

Posted from TSR Mobile
You should go on omegel
Original post by SassKing13
This is the part where I overload you with new songs to listen to :tongue:

It doesn't say in the video, but the song is by an Australian band from the 80s called Midnight Oil :smile:
[video="youtube;9hpX6AGSLuU"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9hpX6AGSLuU[/video]

Haha thanks for this SassKing! Great song :yep: although I did get quite a shock when the lead singer started singing :tongue: I really wasn't expecting him to sound like that :lol:
Thanks! Urmm...why would a non-aqueous solvent be used instead of water as the mobile phase? (My guess is because if you have different unknown samples, there's a greater chance they'll dissolve in it but I'm not certain...)

Posted from TSR Mobile

It provides a better way of separating water insoluble compounds (that are non polar) - so that you can detect each sample more easily

I hope this is the kind of answer you are looking for! :smile:
It provides a better way of separating water insoluble compounds (that are non polar) - so that you can detect each sample more easily

I hope this is the kind of answer you are looking for! :smile:

Ohhh thanks so much Amellia! Yes it is, haha sorry that was a pretty vague question. In the question there's a chromatogram with two known and two unknown samples. Thanks! :hugs:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ohhh thanks so much Amellia! Yes it is, haha sorry that was a pretty vague question. In the question there's a chromatogram with two known and two unknown samples. Thanks! :hugs:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Aww that's no problem Matrix - you are welcome! :hugs: I have to do chromatography this year too :biggrin:
Aww that's no problem Matrix - you are welcome! :hugs: I have to do chromatography this year too :biggrin:

Yay! Ooh, do you like it? How has it changed from GCSE? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yay! Ooh, do you like it? How has it changed from GCSE? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I didn't actually do it at GCSE, but you have to do it in AS and A2. I think it is quite similar to what you are doing now! You have to know gas-liquid and column chromatography, about the stationary and mobile phases for each (eg the eluent, resin etc) :smile:
I didn't actually do it at GCSE, but you have to do it in AS and A2. I think it is quite similar to what you are doing now! You have to know gas-liquid and column chromatography, about the stationary and mobile phases for each (eg the eluent, resin etc) :smile:

Oh right. We've done gas-liquid but not column (I don't think :lol: ) and we haven't gone into too much detail about the phases. What's your favourite topic in chemistry? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
talking to you
Oh right. We've done gas-liquid but not column (I don't think :lol: ) and we haven't gone into too much detail about the phases. What's your favourite topic in chemistry? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ahh I see - you know a lot more than I do when I first did chromatography! In AS is was mechanisms (substitution, elimation) and at A2 either Ligands or Freidel-Crafts acylation (don't worry - they sound horrid but they aren't too bad!) :lol: :smile:
Original post by YourName___
talking to you

Hi :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ahh I see - you know a lot more than I do when I first did chromatography! In AS is was mechanisms (substitution, elimation) and at A2 either Ligands or Freidel-Crafts acylation (don't worry - they sound horrid but they aren't too bad!) :lol: :smile:

Haha :tongue:
Cool, yeah they sound really complicated! :lol:

What're you doing at the moment?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Haha :tongue:
Cool, yeah they sound really complicated! :lol:

What're you doing at the moment?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Acylation will become your best friend at A2, once you grasp it its easy marks! :smile:
I'm chemistry or just in general? Well we have finished the spec already, right now I'm reading an old textbook I found about all the maths I need for first year engineering :tongue:
Acylation will become your best friend at A2, once you grasp it its easy marks! :smile:
I'm chemistry or just in general? Well we have finished the spec already, right now I'm reading an old textbook I found about all the maths I need for first year engineering :tongue:

Haha cool, I'll look out for it! :wink:
In general :tongue:
Ahh so is it just revision now? Ooh, good to get ahead:yep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Haha thanks for this SassKing! Great song :yep: although I did get quite a shock when the lead singer started singing :tongue: I really wasn't expecting him to sound like that :lol:

Haha no :tongue: Quite a different voice I suppose :lol: Quite powerful :tongue:
Original post by SassKing13
Haha no :tongue: Quite a different voice I suppose :lol: Quite powerful :tongue:

Haha yeah true :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest