Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Matrix123)
    Oh haha you posted your reply inside my quote! I was sat there for so long thinking: I didn't type that! Well, in answer to your question, biology revision. Woo! Haha, I know you want to cheer too so I won't hold you back Posted from TSR Mobile
    hahaha oops I have a habit of doing that - sorry!! Ahh I see - fun hahahaha :woo:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Amellia123)
    hahaha oops I have a habit of doing that - sorry!! Ahh I see - fun hahahaha :woo:
    Haha don't worry - I'll just have to worry about that for next time! :lol:

Yeah - ooh, do you mind if I ask you a question about chromatography?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Haha don't worry - I'll just have to worry about that for next time! :lol:

Yeah - ooh, do you mind if I ask you a question about chromatography?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Hahaha yep! And of course not - ask away!

ReputationRep:
    Hahaha yep! And of course not - ask away!
    Thanks! Urmm...why would a non-aqueous solvent be used instead of water as the mobile phase? (My guess is because if you have different unknown samples, there's a greater chance they'll dissolve in it but I'm not certain...)

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    You should go on omegel

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SassKing13)
    This is the part where I overload you with new songs to listen to

It doesn't say in the video, but the song is by an Australian band from the 80s called Midnight Oil
    Haha thanks for this SassKing! Great song :yep: although I did get quite a shock when the lead singer started singing I really wasn't expecting him to sound like that :lol:

ReputationRep:
    Thanks! Urmm...why would a non-aqueous solvent be used instead of water as the mobile phase? (My guess is because if you have different unknown samples, there's a greater chance they'll dissolve in it but I'm not certain...)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    It provides a better way of separating water insoluble compounds (that are non polar) - so that you can detect each sample more easily

I hope this is the kind of answer you are looking for!

ReputationRep:
    It provides a better way of separating water insoluble compounds (that are non polar) - so that you can detect each sample more easily

I hope this is the kind of answer you are looking for!
    Ohhh thanks so much Amellia! Yes it is, haha sorry that was a pretty vague question. In the question there's a chromatogram with two known and two unknown samples. Thanks! :hugs:

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Ohhh thanks so much Amellia! Yes it is, haha sorry that was a pretty vague question. In the question there's a chromatogram with two known and two unknown samples. Thanks! :hugs:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Aww that's no problem Matrix - you are welcome! :hugs: I have to do chromatography this year too

ReputationRep:
    Aww that's no problem Matrix - you are welcome! :hugs: I have to do chromatography this year too
    Yay! Ooh, do you like it? How has it changed from GCSE?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Yay! Ooh, do you like it? How has it changed from GCSE?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I didn't actually do it at GCSE, but you have to do it in AS and A2. I think it is quite similar to what you are doing now! You have to know gas-liquid and column chromatography, about the stationary and mobile phases for each (eg the eluent, resin etc)

ReputationRep:
    I didn't actually do it at GCSE, but you have to do it in AS and A2. I think it is quite similar to what you are doing now! You have to know gas-liquid and column chromatography, about the stationary and mobile phases for each (eg the eluent, resin etc)
    Oh right. We've done gas-liquid but not column (I don't think :lol: ) and we haven't gone into too much detail about the phases. What's your favourite topic in chemistry?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    talking to you

ReputationRep:
    Oh right. We've done gas-liquid but not column (I don't think :lol: ) and we haven't gone into too much detail about the phases. What's your favourite topic in chemistry?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Ahh I see - you know a lot more than I do when I first did chromatography! In AS is was mechanisms (substitution, elimation) and at A2 either Ligands or Freidel-Crafts acylation (don't worry - they sound horrid but they aren't too bad!) :lol:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by YourName___)
    talking to you
    Hi

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Ahh I see - you know a lot more than I do when I first did chromatography! In AS is was mechanisms (substitution, elimation) and at A2 either Ligands or Freidel-Crafts acylation (don't worry - they sound horrid but they aren't too bad!) :lol:
    Haha
    Cool, yeah they sound really complicated! :lol:

What're you doing at the moment?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Haha
    Cool, yeah they sound really complicated! :lol:

What're you doing at the moment?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Acylation will become your best friend at A2, once you grasp it its easy marks!
    I'm chemistry or just in general? Well we have finished the spec already, right now I'm reading an old textbook I found about all the maths I need for first year engineering

ReputationRep:
    Acylation will become your best friend at A2, once you grasp it its easy marks!
    I'm chemistry or just in general? Well we have finished the spec already, right now I'm reading an old textbook I found about all the maths I need for first year engineering
    Haha cool, I'll look out for it!
    In general
    Ahh so is it just revision now? Ooh, good to get ahead:yep:

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Haha thanks for this SassKing! Great song :yep: although I did get quite a shock when the lead singer started singing I really wasn't expecting him to sound like that :lol:
    Haha no Quite a different voice I suppose :lol: Quite powerful

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SassKing13)
    Haha no Quite a different voice I suppose :lol: Quite powerful
    Haha yeah true

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.