Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Indians!!!Why is the colour of your skin considered really important? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zeroic)
    they come in all shapes and colours lol, but i'm targetted for having small 'chinese' eyes.

You might have Turkic genes in you lol.

ReputationRep:
    Can I just add I think the issue is really bad in Jamaica too, ppl proper bleach themselves over there with harmful substances

(Original post by ZuluK)
    My mum used to wear fair and lovely! Omg the memories 😂😂😂😂😂
    LOL'ed at this wth uno

(Original post by exoexo13)
    But aren't literally all Pakistanis white ?
    not ppl from areas like punjaab.
    other areas, yeah tend to be lighties innit

ReputationRep:
    they come in all shapes and colours lol, but i'm targetted for having small 'chinese' eyes.
    Really!!??? And people say that to ur face?

ReputationRep:
    But people with white skin aren't discriminated for them to feel the need to have a tan whereas those with darker skin are discriminated which makes them want to become fairer.
    Yeah definitely. Which is why tanning is not frowned upon like bleaching your skin.

ReputationRep:
    What does the caste system have to do with skin colour though?
    Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't those who were lighter skinned had better treatment under the British than darker skinned Indians.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by batoot)
    Can I just add I think the issue is really bad in Jamaica too, ppl proper bleach themselves over there with harmful substances

LOL'ed at this wth uno

not ppl from areas like punjaab.
    other areas, yeah tend to be lighties innit
    Oh I thought punjabis were the really white ones.

ReputationRep:
    Really!!??? And people say that to ur face?
    I always get mugged by friends for being the 'chinese' looooooooool, but I remember one aunty telling me to look up how to widen your eyes looooool, i was dead.

Oh lol same. I think my mum still does😂😂 Tbh it doesn't even make a difference and the ads are so lame.
    Looool the ads 😂😂😂😂

Haha I forced my mum to stop I was like it's ruining your skin 😂😂 but the packaging of a really fair skinned Asian girl lol

ReputationRep:
    typical jungle mentality "you different to me you bad"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by loveleest)
    Yeah definitely. Which is why tanning is not frowned upon like bleaching your skin.
    There isn't really a need for them to get a tan but people should be able to bleach their skin if they're getting discriminated for it. Surely, shouldn't those who get tans be frowned upon instead of those who bleach their skins?

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing a project regarding this and during my research I was so disgusted to find how people with darker skin were treated differently to those with fairer skin. Fair & lovely adverts, beauty pageants...why do they all suggest that you're only pretty if you have fair skin. Opinions??? Why do they do this???
    Partly because Indian media and advertising is very westernised, so beauty ideals are influenced by European/American culture. But also partly for historical reasons: North India was invaded by various lighter skinned peoples, and so very often the ruling elite would be of lighter skin than the lower castes. The lower castes are actually of different racial origin to the Brahmins and Kshatriyas, because the lower castes are mainly indigenous Dravidians but the higher castes have Iranian, Turkic and even Greek admixture. Also low caste people tend to be outside more and may appear slightly darker due to the effect of the sun.

Also traditionally some North Indians felt superior to darker skinned Southern Indians, because South Indians speak different languages to North Indians and have a somewhat different culture, and were historically less integrated with the great North Indian empires.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ladymusiclover)
    Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't those who were lighter skinned had better treatment under the British than darker skinned Indians.
    I think so as the British were white so they would've supported those with similar skin tones to themselves. However, before they came it was completely different those with dark skin were considered more beautiful.

ReputationRep:
    I always get mugged by friends for being the 'chinese' looooooooool, but I remember one aunty telling me to look up how to widen your eyes looooool, i was dead.
    Typical asian aunty. 😂😂

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ladymusiclover)
    exoexo13
    That is one minor factor but the fact that the Natives of India were dark skinned is the most important. The invading peoples, the Indo-Aryans were Caucasoid a white people. When they conquered India, they made the Natives think they were inferior and that dark skin was a bad thing. This ideology has carried on over thousands of years. So getting any bit lighter matters so much to Indians hence the bogus product fair and lovely which by the way is made by Unilever, so an International company is capitalising on a horrible way of thinking because they know it will sell. Disgusting

ReputationRep:
    There isn't really a need for them to get a tan but people should be able to bleach their skin if they're getting discriminated for it. Surely, shouldn't those who get tans be frowned upon instead of those who bleach their skins?
    I think people should do whatever makes them feel more happier, more confident. However bleaching your skin and tanning can be harmful so people should be cautious of that before doing them.

I do get what you mean, but even in the western society having tan skin is "in" but it is nothing something that they have to do because they are not discriminated against for having pale skin, whilst darker skin people may have been discriminated against which resulted in skin bleaching.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ZuluK)
    Looool the ads 😂😂😂😂

Haha I forced my mum to stop I was like it's ruining your skin 😂😂 but the packaging of a really fair skinned Asian girl lol
    So ridiculous that when she was dark she was unhappy and only as she got fairer, she smiled.

ReputationRep:
    Actually if you were born in the UK it shouldn't even be that deep, forget it make yourself in this country, we live in a melting pot of cultures in the capital (Y)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eternalflames)
    exoexo13
    That is one minor factor but the fact that the Natives of India were dark skinned is the most important. The invading peoples, the Indo-Aryans were Caucasoid a white people. When they conquered India, they made the Natives think they were inferior and that dark skin was a bad thing. This ideology has carried on over thousands of years. So getting any bit lighter matters so much to Indians hence the bogus product fair and lovely which by the way is made by Unilever, so an International company is capitalising on a horrible way of thinking because they know it will sell. Disgusting
    And to say I was once proud to call myself Indian

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mariam687)
    lmao its not just indians, its pakistanis too lol. alot of women look at how "fair" a girl is and thats how they judge them. And I've personally experienced this. As a british pakistani, when i went to pakistan in 2010 a lot of women come up to me (by the way i was about 9 , 10 yrs old) and asked if they could get their sons married to me! asked for my rishta for all those pakistanis out there ) and they blatantly would tell me that it was because i was fair infront of my family! It was so embarassing! I think its absolutely ridiculous that people judge by the colour of someones skin. I see with my own eyes how they get treated.
    Another example is when me and my cousin went to pakistan, I am a lot more paler than my cousin who isn't even dark, shes a tanned colour, when we came into our village, everyone looked at me with surprise and awe yet they only realised that my other cousin was here too afterwards. Tbh, it makes me really sad
    Oh I never thought people in Pakistan were like that cos all of them I've met are really fair.

ReputationRep:
    indian people are the most bad minded. one of the prettiest girls I know is of Indian descent and dark skinned she's prettier then most fair skin Indians that I've seen. Just because your fair skin doesn't mean your automatically prettier.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
    US study forum

Accommodation profiles:

iQ Student Accommodation

iQ Student Accommodation

Great value student rooms in city centre locations all across the UK

X1 Lettings

X1 Lettings

Luxury student accommodation in Liverpool & Manchester.

Collegiate Accommodation

Collegiate Accommodation

"This is student living. Just better."

Scape Student Living

Study Inn

Providing stunning high quality, boutique student accommodation throughout the UK

The Student Housing Company

The Student Housing Company

Award-winning student accommodation - voted by 22,000 students.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.