Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by adamc03)
    What type of IT apprenticeship you doing, I beed looking at doing a IT one, Why do you want to go uni if you doing an apprenticeship?
    im doing an IT support apprenticeship so i basically learn everything , in my company and where im working im not really getting a social life , apart from with the older people which is still good because we all have a laugh and all that , but i want to get a degree under me as now ill have work experience and a degree , also i wanna experience the uni life what sort of thing are you looking to do?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gertautas)
    im doing an IT support apprenticeship so i basically learn everything , in my company and where im working im not really getting a social life , apart from with the older people which is still good because we all have a laugh and all that , but i want to get a degree under me as now ill have work experience and a degree , also i wanna experience the uni life what sort of thing are you looking to do?
    Do you learn to programme? Im looking for a more technical Apprenticeship.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Adeel Ali)
    Do you learn to programme? Im looking for a more technical Apprenticeship.
    nah dont really learn that just learn hardware and stuff.

ReputationRep:
    nah dont really learn that just learn hardware and stuff.
    Is the pay any good?

ReputationRep:
    I'm three months into my own apprenticeship, started a Level 2 in Hospitality (yes here come those that think it isn't worthy of apprenticeship status) and it's alright.

I started over Christmas, working both Xmas Day & NYE, but as it is with the industry that I decided to go into.

Hours are good, as normal staff are on zero-hours and as I completed Sixth Form with my A-Levels, I have nothing to fall back on doing 37 hours a week.
    Even as a particularly unsociable person, all the staff are easy to get on with and when I'm not at work I'm usually with them.

Pay: Isn't as bad as people think when you're getting all the shifts even the dead boring ones (you're paid regardless of busy periods) which is a relief because of some busy periods I've worked!!!, so roughly £250 every fortnight. And as is the industry, £20 or so in tips per week.

Ultimately, it depends what you want to do your apprenticeship in, I previously had two jobs in the same industry which made me a pretty valuable applicant to the company I now work for, and I'm lucky enough to have the option for university this September if I decide it's not what I want to do for a career.... as that's the end game, right?

It's got it's ups and downs, some days are complete ****, others are really good fun.

ReputationRep:
    Is the pay any good?
    depends what you go into , like my pay in minimum but if you go into a better company or a higher job than it can be 1k+

ReputationRep:
    depends what you go into , like my pay in minimum but if you go into a better company or a higher job than it can be 1k+
    A month right?

ReputationRep:
    Is the pay any good?
    It depends, some do apprenticeship wage which is really rubbish and like £3 an hour, but mine was minimum wage. After a year though it's gone up.

ReputationRep:
    A month right?
    yeh

ReputationRep:
    The thing you have to remember is you can go to university whenever you want, so you should get as much experience you can, it will help you find a job when you leave university. ha you shouldn't want to go university just for the university life ha.
    what course would you do at univertiy? is it IT related?

I was thinking graphics, digital sales or networking or computer repairs. But most apprenticeships in my area in IT, are business admin and some support ones.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by adamc03)
    The thing you have to remember is you can go to university whenever you want, so you should get as much experience you can, it will help you find a job when you leave university. ha you shouldn't want to go university just for the university life ha.
    what course would you do at univertiy? is it IT related?

I was thinking graphics, digital sales or networking or computer repairs. But most apprenticeships in my area in IT, are business admin and some support ones.
    yeah well i got the experience and now im going to have the studying side of it too! and yeah im doing computing and networks !

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Apprenticeship zone:

GIGF logo

Apprenticeship Zone

All you need to know about higher and degree apprenticeships.

GIGF logo

Meet the apprentices

Read these case studies from real apprentices to hear the truth about what it's like!

GIGF logo

Apprenticeship Vacancies

Find the latest higher and degree apprenticeship opportunities.

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

ICAEW logo

ICAEW

"Choose a career journey with limitless possibilities."

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Quick links:

Unanswered apprenticeships and alternatives to university threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.