Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm writing about Natural Law being the best answer to contraception (which it's obviously not in many ways.) But I've never written an ethics essay for A2 and I just don't know how to structure or plan it. Help please! We're doing the OCR exam but at this point I just need some help, any help!

ReputationRep:
    I do A2 ethics to, ***** Dabbbb

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fldem)
    I'm writing about Natural Law being the best answer to contraception (which it's obviously not in many ways.) But I've never written an ethics essay for A2 and I just don't know how to structure or plan it. Help please! We're doing the OCR exam but at this point I just need some help, any help!
    I was doing an extremely similar question to that today, except it was approaches to pre-marital sex.

Anyway what we do, is you need to know what your stance is before you begin the essay. Do you agree that NL is the best? If no, which is? You'll mention this in the introduction along with an overview of the points you're going to include.

First paragraph - Natural Law, explain what Natural Law believes in relation to contraception, if possible use examples or a situation to demonstrate that you really understand that you know what you're on about.
    If you're disagreeing with NL being the best approach, show a weakness of NL, then counter your point and show a strength (or how some things could be seen to be good to some people) then finally critique the strength this just makes your conclusion really clear and shows that ultimately it's a weak approach.
    In the final sentence you should sum up what was mentioned in the paragraph, so by saying that for reasons x, y, z, NL is a weak approach.

If you're agreeing with NL, do exactly the same but do strength, weakness, strength, so concluding that it's the best.

This is the basic structure of all of the paragraphs. The final sentence in each should round up what the paragraph was about and say whether you think it's the best approach or a weak approach, or a good approach but not as strong as x or y.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KaylaB)
    I was doing an extremely similar question to that today, except it was approaches to pre-marital sex.

Anyway what we do, is you need to know what your stance is before you begin the essay. Do you agree that NL is the best? If no, which is? You'll mention this in the introduction along with an overview of the points you're going to include.

First paragraph - Natural Law, explain what Natural Law believes in relation to contraception, if possible use examples or a situation to demonstrate that you really understand that you know what you're on about.
    If you're disagreeing with NL being the best approach, show a weakness of NL, then counter your point and show a strength (or how some things could be seen to be good to some people) then finally critique the strength this just makes your conclusion really clear and shows that ultimately it's a weak approach.
    In the final sentence you should sum up what was mentioned in the paragraph, so by saying that for reasons x, y, z, NL is a weak approach.

If you're agreeing with NL, do exactly the same but do strength, weakness, strength, so concluding that it's the best.

This is the basic structure of all of the paragraphs. The final sentence in each should round up what the paragraph was about and say whether you think it's the best approach or a weak approach, or a good approach but not as strong as x or y.
    I think I love you. Thank you so much! Also just noticed LDR in your icon. You're my favourite of the day.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fldem)
    I think I love you. Thank you so much! Also just noticed LDR in your icon. You're my favourite of the day.
    No problem

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KaylaB)
    No problem
    Hello. I do A2 Ethics also. What online resources/textbooks/techniques do you use to revise? I am resitting AS because i barely got a C and I want to do better this year. Any help would be useful. Thank you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vanessaxx98)
    Hello. I do A2 Ethics also. What online resources/textbooks/techniques do you use to revise? I am resitting AS because i barely got a C and I want to do better this year. Any help would be useful. Thank you.
    Hiya, for AS (and pretty much A2 as well) my teachers gave me a revision guide with all of the relevant information and stuff in little packs for us to basically memorise so I don't really look online for stuff except if I need more information on certain topics or example then I usually do a quick google search.

Sorry I couldn't be of much help in that department.

But for AS you just need to make it very distinct between the 10 marker and 25 marker. 25 mark essay is just pure explanation, if you've put any of your opinion in there whatsoever remove it. You can structure it however you want really, as long as you have an introduction and conclusion and a logical way of setting things out. For 25 markers (I'm a pretty slow writer) so I aimed to write a minimum of 4 paragraphs along with an intro and conclusion.
    For the 10 markers, this is where you really need to show your opinion, every time you mention or introduce a new theory or idea, mention a strength or weakness of it or argue whether or not you think that's it good. The structure for these are the same as the 25 but a minimum of 3 paragraphs for the main body of the essay. So make sure that your opinion is clear throughout so you can seamlessly write a conclusion because you are confident with your point.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.