Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Did okay at AS, failing at A2. Need to live up to my uni offers. What should I do? Watch

ReputationRep:
    So I did very well in my GCSEs, was predicted AABB at AS, got AABC in the mocks, did loads of revision (mainly past papers) and spread out my revision so it wasn't last minute but ended up with BBBD. I decided to keep optimistic, dropped the D subject and said to myself hey at least the Bs were generally high. The uni I want to get into has asked for AAB. I thought no problem, I'll just smash the A2s and use the free periods gained from my dropped D (yeah I said "dropped D", very funny) to study. The sixth form was confident I'd smash A2 with my determination so they predicted me AAA.

It's been difficult keeping up because I have boring teachers, slipped behind on homework and slipped behind in class. I absorb nothing in my dull classes. I spend most free periods hanging out with friends and always leave sixth form early. Sixth form has become a very depressive dull empty shell of what was once my year group. I now have fundamental knowledge gaps in the only two A2s I was confident of getting As in. This is completely demotivating when I try to study because it always comes back to bite. The teachers didn't notice anything was wrong until I scored BDU in my A2 mocks, but they still have faith I'll pull through so haven't put me on a contract to attend study sessions. They still think I can get AAA.

What on earth do I do? I'd like to think it isn't too late but the exams get nearer every day. I need AAB no matter what.

ReputationRep:
    Was.... was the errr.... was the title supposed to rhyme like that?

ReputationRep:
    Find the way you study best, and do it hard from now until the exams.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PillsIV)
    Was.... was the errr.... was the title supposed to rhyme like that?
    Hahaha! Just realised!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pochoze)
    So I did very well in my GCSEs, was predicted AABB at AS, got AABC in the mocks, did loads of revision (mainly past papers) and spread out my revision so it wasn't last minute but ended up with BBBD. I decided to keep optimistic, dropped the D subject and said to myself hey at least the Bs were generally high. The uni I want to get into has asked for AAB. I thought no problem, I'll just smash the A2s and use the free periods gained from my dropped D (yeah I said "dropped D", very funny) to study. The sixth form was confident I'd smash A2 with my determination so they predicted me AAA.

It's been difficult keeping up because I have boring teachers, slipped behind on homework and slipped behind in class. I absorb nothing in my dull classes. I spend most free periods hanging out with friends and always leave sixth form early. Sixth form has become a very depressive dull empty shell of what was once my year group. I now have fundamental knowledge gaps in the only two A2s I was confident of getting As in. This is completely demotivating when I try to study because it always comes back to bite. The teachers didn't notice anything was wrong until I scored BDU in my A2 mocks, but they still have faith I'll pull through so haven't put me on a contract to attend study sessions. They still think I can get AAA.

What on earth do I do? I'd like to think it isn't too late but the exams get nearer every day. I need AAB no matter what.
    'i think you shouldn't allow how boring your teachers are influence you and you should try and revise after each class and meet up if you don't listen a lot in class and you'll make your grades'. best of luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mactotaur)
    Find the way you study best, and do it hard from now until the exams.
    For a long time past papers were my best way. They helped me in AS mocks but failed me for the real thing. I avoided them now for my A2 mock revision but my grades were even more disappointing.

I guess the simple work ethic of "find a way and bloody do it until you get the grades" is paramount.

ReputationRep:
    For a long time past papers were my best way. They helped me in AS mocks but failed me for the real thing. I avoided them now for my A2 mock revision but my grades were even more disappointing.

I guess the simple work ethic of "find a way and bloody do it until you get the grades" is paramount.
    That'd be the one!

I'm in the same situation - BCD at AS, need 3 Bs for Uni. I'm just doing a mix of retakes, last year's coursework, this year's coursework (the hours I've put into this year's ICT coursework is ridiculous, but it's paying off), exam questions (understanding different question wordings has had a huge impact), and using the method of loci because it works for me (for Law, lots of info to remember).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emma_akpan)
    'i think you shouldn't allow how boring your teachers are influence you and you should try and revise after each class and meet up if you don't listen a lot in class and you'll make your grades'. best of luck
    True, but let's it face it, doing well despite terrible teachers is easier said than done.

ReputationRep:

This is my exact situation :ashamed2:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KaylaB)
    This is my exact situation :ashamed2:
    Sucks, right? :laugh:

ReputationRep:
    Sucks, right? :laugh:
    Yeah and I'm just replying to my offers and my insurance is AAB and my firm is AAA and I really want to go there :cry2:

ReputationRep:
    What's your main issue? What methods have you tried? If it's memory, there's a plethora of things to try: flowcharts, brainstorms, the peg method, method of loci, simply memorising everything (I wouldn't recommend it if you have info heavy subjects), and more.

ReputationRep:
    I'm the opposite way round in terms of AS/A2 but likewise I can feel the control of my work slipping out of my hands after the high of good mock grades... it's really crunch time now but I feel like i'm not on top of things anymore, like when you climb a mountain but you can't see the top kinda thing...
    tbh i don't care what mental/physical state i'm in after exams, I NEED to ace them! What subjects do you do? Maths is driving me up the wall bc of not really being on top of C4 Diff/Integ and M1 (resit). Chem 5 makes me want to bang my head against that wall. honestly

sorry I know this thread is about you - in terms of what you should do, you're quite lucky to be in the position that you are atm with predictions and stuff, so work out the minimum you need to get to get As in everything (UMS wise) and set that as your minimum when you're doing past papers and stuff - that's what I'm trying to do. Like for eg, M1 I need 89 UMS to put me in a safe A/A* zone, so I'm not settling for less than 90. honestly, even if you have to lie to yourself that you love A-levels and sixth form if it works...
    crap advice, sorry, it's just I relate so much to your post

ReputationRep:
    Which subjects do you take(Gcse student)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mactotaur)
    What's your main issue? What methods have you tried? If it's memory, there's a plethora of things to try: flowcharts, brainstorms, the peg method, method of loci, simply memorising everything (I wouldn't recommend it if you have info heavy subjects), and more.
    I generally don't struggle to remember. My problem is more with all the knowledge gaps and a lack of motivation to fix the knowledge gaps. I can be very hard working once I get into something, even if it's boring, but getting questions wrong all the time kills my drive.

I've been making posters at home to summarize each topic, using CGP revision guides because they're nice and concise. This fixed my knowledge gaps for Physics but with Biology there's a lot more terminology and processes to absorb and with maths I have to just do thousands and thousands of questions from an exercise book.

At the same time I'm being bombarded with Physics and Biology coursework. If I were to sweat it out every free period I'd get everything done (I wouldn't even need to work at home) but then I loathe every second in that school.

ReputationRep:
    If I were to sweat it out every free period I'd get everything done (I wouldn't even need to work at home) but then I loathe every second in that school.
    That is what free periods are there for, technically.

Think of it this way. If you pass your A levels, there's no chance you'll have to go back to that school to retake anything. Put that loathing to good use. [Insert Palpatine hate quote here]

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blancosdos)
    Which subjects do you take(Gcse student)
    GCSEs: Maths, English Language, English Lit, Triple Science, Geography, History, French, Astronomy, Law. I got 8 As (at everything listed up to French), 2 Bs (French and Astronomy) and one C in Law which I sat externally in year 9.

AS Level: Maths, Physics, Chemistry, Biology. Got BBBD with the D in Chemistry.

A2: Maths, Physics, Biology.

Good luck with your GCSEs.

ReputationRep:
    x
    I'd recommend, if you are unable to learn in lessons, to watch videos on Youtube covering topics which may make it more interesting for you. I'd recommend for sciences to get the CGP complete textbook - it's just like the exam board made ones but they are far more concise and much easier to revise/learn from. But make sure to scan over the textbooks you may use in class as the CGP books may miss something out which may be important.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by minjinoor)
    I'm the opposite way round in terms of AS/A2 but likewise I can feel the control of my work slipping out of my hands after the high of good mock grades... it's really crunch time now but I feel like i'm not on top of things anymore, like when you climb a mountain but you can't see the top kinda thing...
    tbh i don't care what mental/physical state i'm in after exams, I NEED to ace them! What subjects do you do? Maths is driving me up the wall bc of not really being on top of C4 Diff/Integ and M1 (resit). Chem 5 makes me want to bang my head against that wall. honestly

sorry I know this thread is about you - in terms of what you should do, you're quite lucky to be in the position that you are atm with predictions and stuff, so work out the minimum you need to get to get As in everything (UMS wise) and set that as your minimum when you're doing past papers and stuff - that's what I'm trying to do. Like for eg, M1 I need 89 UMS to put me in a safe A/A* zone, so I'm not settling for less than 90. honestly, even if you have to lie to yourself that you love A-levels and sixth form if it works...
    crap advice, sorry, it's just I relate so much to your post
    Firstly be careful what you wish for! I know someone who did "ace" his exams, but by that I mean he got ACE!

So I do Maths, Physics and Biology. I completely sympathize with you on Maths because it's a pain. AS was much better for me, although Mechanics was a C (that's why I had a B overall). C4 is pretty terrible with all the differentiation, but I missed a fundamental part of C3 differentiation and integration and it keeps coming back to haunt me. Whatever I do I must completely go over C3 to exterminate this knowledge gap.

Believe it or not I know exactly what you mean with lying to yourself that you really love revision. It's a great strategy to block out the depressive situation. I think of it like diving into a pool of rotting feces to get a diamond at the bottom. You hold your nose and do it, otherwise no diamond for you.

I was gonna resit Chemistry so I won't have a D on my CV but with the conditional offers of AAB, my Chemistry AS result becomes irrelevant. Only the 3 A2s matter now.

Edit: BTW it's not crap advice! Thanks very much for your reply! This pathetic excuse for an education system affects us all!

ReputationRep:
    Firstly be careful what you wish for! I know someone who did "ace" his exams, but by that I mean he got ACE!

So I do Maths, Physics and Biology. I completely sympathize with you on Maths because it's a pain. AS was much better for me, although Mechanics was a C (that's why I had a B overall). C4 is pretty terrible with all the differentiation, but I missed a fundamental part of C3 differentiation and integration and it keeps coming back to haunt me. Whatever I do I must completely go over C3 to exterminate this knowledge gap.

Believe it or not I know exactly what you mean with lying to yourself that you really love revision. It's a great strategy to block out the depressive situation. I think of it like diving into a pool of rotting feces to get a diamond at the bottom. You hold your nose and do it, otherwise no diamond for you.

I was gonna resit Chemistry so I won't have a D on my CV but with the conditional offers of AAB, my Chemistry AS result becomes irrelevant. Only the 3 A2s matter now.

Edit: BTW it's not crap advice! Thanks very much for your reply! This pathetic excuse for an education system affects us all!
    ACE no thanks loool! yh i get the diamond thing, i will do whatever it takes, literally. yh same i dropped physics, was going to resit it but absolutely pointless even though it's a shame i got AAU in the units which isn't bad but made it a C (damn unit 1). hopefully we can all overcome our personal obstacles...

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful revision links

Articles

Writing revision notes

Our top revision articles

Tips and advice on making the most of your study time.

Boomarked book

Superpowered study

Take the hard work out of revising with our masterplan.

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Can you help? Study Help unanswered threadsStudy Help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.