Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I am currently studying Spanish for my upcoming GCSE's. I have no desire to pursue foreign languages in the future as my true passion lies in English (if you're wondering why I have taken it, it was compulsory)

I have just received my predicted grades and unsurprisingly, I am predicted to attain a G in Spanish. Although this is upsetting, I feel that it is necessary for me to focus on improving my performance in core subjects such as Maths and Science as although I am doing well, there is room for improvement.

Will the failure of my Spanish GCSE hinder my future career prospects? I would like to eventually join the police force. Thanks for your help in advance.

ReputationRep:
    I got really into learning Spanish and got an A in GCSE when I was younger. I would say that most languages are mostly pointless and no it won't hinder your chances in the police.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by karl pilkington)
    I got really into learning Spanish and got an A in GCSE when I was younger. I would say that most languages are mostly pointless and no it won't hinder your chances in the police.
    I'm fearful that such a low grade will look bad on my police application.

ReputationRep:
    I don't know about the gcse programme but if it's similar to standard grade, you shouldn't have to do a ton of work to at least get a pass, I did a crash higher and got an A so if you're taking it anyway, you might as well put 10 minutes aside some days to revise

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mollycatb)
    I'm fearful that such a low grade will look bad on my police application.
    you could just not declare it also if you end up with a degree they won't care. Also the police would be much more interested in your practical skills and ability to become a good police officer etc they don't care about GCSEs they are largely worthless. My cousin is high in the police and she has a degree but mostly it is about how you perform once in the force.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blondie987)
    I don't know about the gcse programme but if it's similar to standard grade, you shouldn't have to do a ton of work to at least get a pass, I did a crash higher and got an A so if you're taking it anyway, you might as well put 10 minutes aside some days to revise
    Every time I revise it feels as though my soul is dying. I hate it so much pal

ReputationRep:
    Every time I revise it feels as though my soul is dying. I hate it so much pal
    Well it's up to you, I don't know much about the academic requirements for the police force but I doubt they would reject you for something that minor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by karl pilkington)
    Would the fact that I had only attained 8 GCSE's (if I fail Spanish) not put me at an immediate disadvantage?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blondie987)
    Well it's up to you, I don't know much about the academic requirements for the police force but I doubt they would reject you for something that minor
    Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    Would the fact that I had only attained 8 GCSE's (if I fail Spanish) not put me at an immediate disadvantage?
    no they don't even require formal educational requirements unless it is a higher position than constable it would be best to focus on getting a good degree

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.