Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Okay so obviously we're heading towards the end of this academic year, in terms of teaching, and I've got to make up my mind for what I do in Y13.

I'm pretty set on AS FM, but there are some other options I'd like other people's opinions on.

Background info - wanting to study Economics at uni, maybe maths but that's a bit iffy atm, and currently I'm getting around a 90% average in my three modules (C1, C2 and M1). I much prefer to study maths because I find it enjoyable and once I've got to grips with it - relatively easy.

The options
    1) Maths, Politics, Biology and AS FM
    2) Maths, Politics, History and AS FM
    3) Maths, Politics and FM (the whole A-level)

Option 1 sounds easiest to me, option 2 sounds harder but is more relevant to economics and option 3 sounds on balance the best however I'm not sure of it for three reasons.

1 - FP2, S3 and S4 will be very hard
    2 - the number of maths exams is just overwhelming (9 exams)
    3 - if I screw up, that would be it for me academically and I would've wasted my time

What are your thoughts?

ReputationRep:
    are you a Y12?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TeeEm)
    are you a Y12?
    Yes

ReputationRep:
    For economics AS is usually adequate ...
    For maths I recommend All the way to FP3 (a must) + a good mix of stats and mechanics

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jamestg)
    Okay so obviously we're heading towards the end of this academic year, in terms of teaching, and I've got to make up my mind for what I do in Y13.

I'm pretty set on AS FM, but there are some other options I'd like other people's opinions on.

Background info - wanting to study Economics at uni, maybe maths but that's a bit iffy atm, and currently I'm getting around a 90% average in my three modules (C1, C2 and M1). I much prefer to study maths because I find it enjoyable and once I've got to grips with it - relatively easy.

The options
    1) Maths, Politics, Biology and AS FM
    2) Maths, Politics, History and AS FM
    3) Maths, Politics and FM (the whole A-level)

Option 1 sounds easiest to me, option 2 sounds harder but is more relevant to economics and option 3 sounds on balance the best however I'm not sure of it for three reasons.

1 - FP2, S3 and S4 will be very hard
    2 - the number of maths exams is just overwhelming (9 exams)
    3 - if I screw up, that would be it for me academically and I would've wasted my time

What are your thoughts?
    Have you considered Maths, FM and History?

I feel like doing the AS won't teach you much as FP1 has very little in it and you actually learn more pure in C3 and C4. FP2 is not that hard quite honestly and neither is S3. S4 is apparently easier than S3 according to a few people who've done it - however, the number of exams being overwhelming bit is true. I had to do the full Further Maths A-level + an extra module, but I'm lucky because I got to sit the AS in January. I think SeanFM, Zacken and a bunch of other guys did the full A-level in Year 13, so it's certainly a possibility, but it will be quite a lot of work. Maybe tinkerbella~ could help because (I think) she's an economics applicant/offer holder.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jamestg)
    x
    For Economics, you should be fine with AS, particularly if you're just taking it in Y13. Top unis might not appreciate someone dropping FM for A2 if it seemed like they couldn't cope with it but that doesn't apply to you anyway. LSE only want FM as a fourth subject I believe, which could be a problem with your option 3 if you're interested in applying there.

If you're reasonably certain of only doing AS, then do that. The workload to do the full A2 should be manageable but if you're not sure about it, then I doubt it's worth it. However if you're seriously thinking of doing Maths, then do the full A2. I don't take FP2 but S3 is fine, I have the textbook for S4 and that doesn't look bad either. The only thing I'd be worried about is fitting all the modules in at decent times, you'll need to get through C3 and C4 pretty quickly to cope with FP2 and some bits from S3. If you can get hold of a textbook for C3/4 or something, could you have a flick through it?

Good luck whatever you decide

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aymanzayedmannan)
    Maybe tinkerbella~ could help because (I think) she's an economics applicant/offer holder.
    I will be next year thanks for the tag
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    S3 is quite difficult but not impossible. S4 is quite nice, significantly easier than S3 and similar to S2.
    And FP2 is difficult but... Just requires practice.

I picked up FM in Year 13, and although I got a D in FP2 I did well enough in the other modules to get an A overall, so don't let one or two hard modules put you off

ReputationRep:
    If, at A level, you are not doing as much maths as you possibly can, what does this mean for your level of interest in doing maths at university?

If you "like" maths then economics is a mathematical degree with a lot of maths content and the subject of economics is pretty interesting as well. (at least to me anyway).

A maths degree is good if you really "love" doing maths. Bear in mind that you will be doing a hell of a lot at university and little else.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever been hacked?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.