Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    When originally applying for University through UCAS, I didn't think my choices through thoroughly enough as I wasn't sure if I wanted to go or not, and it was a last minute rush to get my application in.
    Therefore, I applied for Universities that I thought were more attainable (less prestigious, lower in the Uni rankings, lower entry requirements) without much thought about the other options that I had.
    After receiving my responses (3 accepts, 1 decline, and I withdrew the last) I decided to go down a different route and apply for a foundation year on Extra and declined all my offers.
    A foundation year would mean I still get the fresh start of leaving home - AND - ensure my place on my intended course at a good Uni on completion, rather than just applying for what I can get at the moment.

HOWEVER I feel I've left it too late and really regret not originally applying to 5 courses with foundation years.
    Do you think there will still be spaces left on these foundation courses, available to apply to through extra?

TL;DR - Declined the offers that I did have in order to apply to Uni's that offer my course with a foundation year - do you think UCAS Extra will still have foundation year courses left for conditional offers, or will they have all been taken in the original applications?
    Do many people apply to courses with a foundation year in their original 5 choice application?

The Universities I would apply to, in order are;
    Sussex
    Sheffield
    UEA
    Leeds
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by queen of thorns)
    When originally applying for University through UCAS, I didn't think my choices through thoroughly enough as I wasn't sure if I wanted to go or not, and it was a last minute rush to get my application in.
    Therefore, I applied for Universities that I thought were more attainable (less prestigious, lower in the Uni rankings, lower entry requirements) without much thought about the other options that I had.
    After receiving my responses (3 accepts, 1 decline, and I withdrew the last) I decided to go down a different route and apply for a foundation year on Extra and declined all my offers.
    A foundation year would mean I still get the fresh start of leaving home - AND - ensure my place on my intended course at a good Uni on completion, rather than just applying for what I can get at the moment.

HOWEVER I feel I've left it too late and really regret not originally applying to 5 courses with foundation years.
    Do you think there will still be spaces left on these foundation courses, available to apply to through extra?

TL;DR - Declined the offers that I did have in order to apply to Uni's that offer my course with a foundation year - do you think UCAS Extra will still have foundation year courses left for conditional offers, or will they have all been taken in the original applications?
    Do many people apply to courses with a foundation year in their original 5 choice application?

The Universities I would apply to, in order are;
    Sussex
    Sheffield
    UEA
    Leeds
    With Extra, you only get one further choice. If you get rejected or don't like the offer you can then apply to a further one choice - and can carry on like this until you get an offer or run out of time.

If you contact the uni you've chosen before applying you can see if they still have spaces. If not they will let you know and then you won't waste your choice there. Not all courses and unis are available through Extra but many are so you should find something. You can also contact unis before choosing to reject your current offers so you'll be able to change your mind before committing to anything

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.