Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys, it's my first post here but have been looking around on here for ages. I've got some med school interviews soon and I'm preparing at the moment. I'm in the situation where both my parents are GPs, they haven't been pushy at all and I genuinely want to study medicine but I'm not really sure how to tackle this in an interview. I don't want it to sound like I'm saying "because they do it I can" but I probably have more of an insight into how long their days are and how hard they work. Any advice?

Sorry for the essay
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    I'd probably mention that they have given you an insight into the profession through advice and conversation but I'd make sure I'd speak more about my actual hands on experience rather than what I had been told in passing.

ReputationRep:
    I'd be tempted not to mention that my parents were GPs in case that gave the wrong impression ("pushy parents" or "child lacking imagination"...) or devalued the work experience you have arranged ("easy" when daddy can slot you in with one of his GP partners...). You can show insight into working conditions without being absolutely clear about where it came from.

I think that many people would disagree with me (you should be honest about your experience...) and there probably isn't a right or wrong answer. It would not be a major factor either way for most interviewers. A middle ground (if you really think it's an important factor to mention) might be to say that a number of people in your family are GPs... somehow I feel that removing "parents" from the conversation mitigates suspicion of pushiness...

Just an opinion!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gradmed16)
    Hey guys, it's my first post here but have been looking around on here for ages. I've got some med school interviews soon and I'm preparing at the moment. I'm in the situation where both my parents are GPs, they haven't been pushy at all and I genuinely want to study medicine but I'm not really sure how to tackle this in an interview. I don't want it to sound like I'm saying "because they do it I can" but I probably have more of an insight into how long their days are and how hard they work. Any advice?

Sorry for the essay
    Thanks
    Honestly, unless you're directly asked about family members in medicine (unlikely) I wouldn't mention it at all. You run the risk of sounding like you're doing medicine because of your background etc. Realistically, if you've done enough work experience you should have plenty to talk about at interview without having to go into your parents at all!

My dad's a doctor and I didn't talk about him at all in my interviews.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I'd mention it if asked about your experience of medicine as it shows you understand what being a doctor is like. Also the UK needs more doctors who want to be GPs not surgeons. keep it brief and structured though and make it sound as though you thought about alternatives and didn't drift in to it.

ReputationRep:
    I see no harm in mentioning it and by absolutely trying to avoid it, you risk, that there are flaws in your argument and you come accross as less convincing. Just be yourself and show, that you know, what you are talking about. then you won't sound pushed either, because you are talking about what you know, not about what you have prepared for the interview.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.