Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Thanks so much championship and imasillynarb Really good advice guys, I'll give it a shot.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by slowjamz)
    Thanks so much championship and imasillynarb Really good advice guys, I'll give it a shot.
    Sorry, the last comment was sarcastic. To improve cardiovascular fitness yo need high intensity. Interval training like I said above^^ is best, 3-4 times a week, no more. After you can do 30 minutes of 30sec sprint 2 min jog, do 30sec sprint, 1:45min jog..etc until you can for 30 minutes.

ReputationRep:
    For a beginner its not the best idea to jump into high intensity training from day one - its not like they have a marathon to run in the next week. I guarantee that if someone who is not used to excercising tries to train at such a high level they will give up within a few days and possibly injure themselves.

The best solution is to watch your diet (i.e. minimal fat intake, more complex carbs and protein, lots of water) and eat smaller, more regular meals. Start off with light cardiovascular excercise such as jogging or rowing and get into a routine gradually increase the intensity over weeks and even months if need be.

Remember, it is unwise to try and lose weight in a hurry - it will more often than not be put back on. The longer it takes to come off, the longer it will stay off!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rod)
    For a beginner its not the best idea to jump into high intensity training from day one - its not like they have a marathon to run in the next week. I guarantee that if someone who is not used to excercising tries to train at such a high level they will give up within a few days and possibly injure themselves.

The best solution is to watch your diet (i.e. minimal fat intake, more complex carbs and protein, lots of water) and eat smaller, more regular meals. Start off with light cardiovascular excercise such as jogging or rowing and get into a routine gradually increase the intensity over weeks and even months if need be.

Remember, it is unwise to try and lose weight in a hurry - it will more often than not be put back on. The longer it takes to come off, the longer it will stay off!
    She said she wanted to increase general fitness, not lose weight?

ReputationRep:
    She said she wanted to improve general fitness and tone up her legs and stomach. Sorry if my the wording i used confused you but if i'm not mistaken what she wants involves losing bodyfat and toning muscle whilst improving cardiovascular fitness.

I was simply advising her that it would be unwise to jump into a high intensity routine as she will give up before she even gives it a chance. What i am also saying is that there is no fast-track way to make lasting improvements in one's fitness and physique. It takes time and effort!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rod)
    She said she wanted to improve general fitness and tone up her legs and stomach. Sorry if my the wording i used confused you but if i'm not mistaken what she wants involves losing bodyfat and toning muscle whilst improving cardiovascular fitness.

I was simply advising her that it would be unwise to jump into a high intensity routine as she will give up before she even gives it a chance. What i am also saying is that there is no fast-track way to make lasting improvements in one's fitness and physique. It takes time and effort!
    I understand what you were saying, I just thought she asked how to improve general fitness though, thats all! obviously I cant read :P

ReputationRep:
    Just to go off topic a bit, it makes me chuckle the amount of people i see (especially after christmas) who shell out a fortune for a gym membership, go once or twice a month and delude themselves that they keep fit just because they hold a gym card. Gyms owners are laughing because they know that they make most their money from unused memberships!

People who are unhappy about their body always want results within days, but what they don't realise is that it takes much longer than that, and if the motivation is not there then neither will be the results. You ain't gonna get any slimmer looking in the mirror holding a slice of pizza and complaining that your bum looks big! Do something about it...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by imasillynarb)
    Sprint for 30 seconds, jog for 2 minutes, sprint for 30 seconds, jog for 2 minutes...do that until it you only cover 75% of the distance in 30 seconds that you did at the beginning. Next time do it again but try and go longer. Do it for a maximum of 30 minutes. 3 times a week is fine
    You only gain the maximum benefit from interval training once you have a decent base of fitness. There is no point just doing this kind of training three times a week without steady running to remove the lactic etc that builds up in your legs during an interval session.

Low intensity to start with is good. If you really want to try interval sessions then spend at least two weeks getting fit with steady cadiovascular work. Its also important not to go flat out with the sprint as you may injure youself. Concentrate on finishing the session and working hard, but not destructively so.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Me2)
    well i'm not fat...! (5ft11 and 8 1/2stone) but i'd just like to tone my legs and stomach (its fairly flat already) for the summer and just be sort of fitter, if you understand what i mean...
    Mail or pm me and I'll send you a scan I have of some excellent toning exercises. My mum used them and she was a perfectly toned 8-10 before she had kids. I need them especially as I have inherited my grandmothers thunder thighs lol.

ReputationRep:
    thanks for all the help people!

just one more question, do you think i need to lose weight? judging by my height/weight (if you missed it; 5ft11 8 1/2stone)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Me2)

just one more question, do you think i need to lose weight? judging by my height/weight (if you missed it; 5ft11 8 1/2stone)
    What's your BMI? (Body Mass Index), cos by the sounds of it I think you would be under 20, and the ideal weight is between 20 and 25. So, I think you probably are underweight infact. I'm 5ft7, 9 stone, and just the over the underweight borderline. When I was 8 and a half stone I was underweight, and so since you're taller you should weigh more anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Me2)

You are way underweight. I am 5'7 and 9 stone and classed as underweight in accordance with the BMI index calculations. But I think the best way to see it is that if you think your weight is ok, ofr instance I may be underweight on paper but that may be because I have a low body fat % since I am very active and a bit of a fitness freak! But I'm not skinny though!

Try jogging 30-40 minutes either on the treadmill(a bit boring)/on the road/ on the beach about 3 times a week and do about 2-3 sets of 20 sit ups/crunches or 4 sets of 10 cruches, depends how you feel. Guys tell me that I have great abs but I don't do any crunches/sit-ups! Just play hockey,football and run. Find something you enjoy doing and you will tone up without realising it.

In the long run, you will be more likely of being toned and fit doing something you enjoy than going to the gym when you dread going every time since you will keep it up for longer!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gwirion)
    You are way underweight. I am 5'7 and 9 stone and classed as underweight in accordance with the BMI index calculations.
    The BMI can sometimes give extremely wrong results. For example, a decent bodybuilder will have a BMI of an 'overweight' person, purely because it only takes height and weight into account.

ReputationRep:
    a common misconception amongst young girls is that simply not eating regular meals (e.g. skipping breakfast) will make them slimmer.
    However doing this will simply mean that the body will break down more muscle than fat in order to satisfy its caloric energy needs, resulting in 'flabbyness' and what usually happens is that binge eating occurs to satisfy hunger.

The best way to look good is to gain muscle tone, by eating well and excercising regularly. I much prefer a girl with a nice round pert ass than a skinny girl with no ass at all!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Me2)
    well i'm not fat...! (5ft11 and 8 1/2stone) but i'd just like to tone my legs and stomach (its fairly flat already) for the summer and just be sort of fitter, if you understand what i mean...
    that sounds very thin....
    you are in the underweight category on here..

maybe you should be careful and check it out

Ruthie xx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kirbz)
    What's your BMI? (Body Mass Index), cos by the sounds of it I think you would be under 20, and the ideal weight is between 20 and 25. So, I think you probably are underweight infact. I'm 5ft7, 9 stone, and just the over the underweight borderline. When I was 8 and a half stone I was underweight, and so since you're taller you should weigh more anyway.
    Mine's about 24, the last time i checked, which was ages ago!! (before, the exam period) There is no doubt in my mind that i must have put weight on over the exam period....i don't dare go on the scales!

Poll
Do protests make a difference in political decisions?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.