Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I straighten my hair every 2 days. I have naturally curly hair however will this damage my hair dramatically? I'm starting to get split ends

Is there a way to reduce this from happening in the future because I'm going to get a hair cut to get rid of split ends.

ReputationRep:
    curly hair is buff, why straighten?

use heat-protective spray (Tresemme smells so ****ING GOOD), yes it damages your hair alot seriously it's like 200 degrees of heat on fibres made of protein... what do you think's gonna happen

apart from that regularly oil your hair to keep it shiny n healthy

ReputationRep:
    For the long term, argan oil treatments?
    Do you not use heat protector on your hair before straightening?
    You could go into your salon and see what they say to help your hair stop getting split ends.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Make sure your hair is dry and use some sort of protective lotion.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by batoot)
    curly hair is buff, why straighten?

use heat-protective spray (Tresemme smells so ****ING GOOD), yes it damages your hair alot seriously it's like 200 degrees of heat on fibres made of protein... what do you think's gonna happen

apart from that regularly oil your hair to keep it shiny n healthy
    Mine is curly but its disappears during the day and turns wavy Tresemme smells good all the time!!!

ReputationRep:
    I heard recently that heat protection spray doesn't actually work if you use straighteners because it basically just means you're frying your hair... but idk for sure

I have naturally curly hair too and I used to straighten it a lot for work so it wasn't frizzy and was easier to manage. However, I found that it was damaging my curls a bit ie some of them were getting straighter, so I stopped. I'm trying to do a few months without straightening it. Besides, when my curls are on point, I'm on point bc I look the bomb.

After washing and conditioning my hair I put a lot of oil and leave-in conditioners in my hair bc I find that it maintains and defines my curls and reduces frizz. Hope this helps

ReputationRep:
    I got a raging from my older sister for straightening (my poker straight hair) every day. Apart from it being quite pointless the hairdresser confirmed what she said that it would wreck my hair. Now a bit more savvy - besides wrapped up in a knot nobody was any the wiser. Nowadays I prefer the time it took as precious more minutes zzzzzz😜😂

ReputationRep:
    It can make your hair lose some of it's curl definition. Just don't use a really high heat setting and try and cut down on the straightening (maybe less hair washing?)
    Also, treatments do not cure broken/damaged hair. The only way to treat damaged hair is to cut it off.

ReputationRep:
    Too much of anything can be damaging.
    Stop straightening so frequently. There are videos on YouTube that show you how to straighten your hair without heat. If you do straighten, always use heat protectant.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.