Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Tuesday this week this boy told me he liked me and pretty much he would want to be with me.

Here's where it gets complicated: he was seeing a girl, but she got deported and had to move back to america and now she has been there for a month and has told me he would like to give me and him a go because he's only 20 and pretty much in a matter of words that it's a waste of time because they're so far apart and she's not coming back. We met in september, and he met me and her at the same time, however she was more forward pretty much so they happened.

They were together for a month and a half.

Since Tuesday we haven't seen each other, but he has text me everyday keeping me updated as to whether he's spoken to her, and the most recent text says :
    "hey still haven't spoken to her yet. I need to do that before i see you or it wouldn't be right"

I'm just waiting now pretty much, i don't want to be stupid, should i wait for him? maybe he's just going to change his mind? I don't know, just need some advice...
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by lousmithy)
    Tuesday this week this boy told me he liked me and pretty much he would want to be with me.

Here's where it gets complicated: he was seeing a girl, but she got deported and had to move back to america and now she has been there for a month and has told me he would like to give me and him a go because he's only 20 and pretty much in a matter of words that it's a waste of time because they're so far apart and she's not coming back. We met in september, and he met me and her at the same time, however she was more forward pretty much so they happened.

Since Tuesday we haven't seen each other, but he has text me everyday keeping me updated as to whether he's spoken to her, and the most recent text says :
    "hey still haven't spoken to her yet. I need to do that before i see you or it wouldn't be right"

I'm just waiting now pretty much, i don't want to be stupid, should i wait for him? maybe he's just going to change his mind? I don't know, just need some advice...
    Sounds like he's keeping his options open and keeping you hanging on as long as you stick around.

He probably has feelings for her as the split was out of their control and that makes it hard to cut all ties. My interpretation would be he needs to have a difficult conversation to formally end it but is reluctant to do so and is still in the process of trying to convince himself there is no future.

He not only needs to break off all contact with her, he needs to get over her emotionally or you will be sharing him with a ghost.

There is no strict rule for how long it takes to get over a relationship break up, but if you say he went out with her for 5 months, it could take him that long again after he severs contact.

In the meantime carry on with your life. Keep in contact with him and if you are both single come the middle of summer and he has not mentioned her name for a while, then go for it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lousmithy)

He should have a break between dating her and you otherwise you're just he's rebound girl. He wont lose his feelings for her overnight and while it seems like she's going away forever what if she decides to come back after a year and he breaks up just to be with her again? I wouldnt want to be someone's second choice.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 23, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.