Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Is this normal when applying for a masters degree? Sorry if this is a silly question, it's just that on some university websites they ask for it but others don't appear to.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    As you've seen some do, some don't. It discourages people from submitting lots of superfluous applications to places where they won't end up. At postgraduate level you'll probably only be applying to a couple of places.

ReputationRep:
    Popular master's courses require application fees. UCL, LSE, Oxbridge and a few other unis charge application fees. It is a recent thing adopted from the US.

ReputationRep:
    Not in the UK. Only a few universities, namely Oxford, Cambridge, Imperial, and I don't remember but I believe two more charge.

Oxford is the most expensive one at £60 whilst Cambridge follows at £50.

In the US, it is the reverse - most charge whilst few don't (one that doesn't is the Ivy League elite university UPenn). Only that it is also very common for US universities to waive your application fee.

If it's for one of the courses for the rich, such as the Master of Business Administration, universities may charge in the UK or to charge more for it; alternatively, at those British universities mentioned, some courses might not charge anything, such as for a Doctor of Philosophy in Business at the Said Business School at University of Oxford (it is not that the University does not require a fee, but that the School pays for all applicants - not that this technicality matters to the applicant).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Little Toy Gun)
    Not in the UK. Only a few universities, namely Oxford, Cambridge, Imperial, and I don't remember but I believe two more charge.

In the US, it is the reverse - most charge whilst few don't (one that doesn't is the Ivy League elite university UPenn). Only that it is also very common for US universities to waive your application fee.

If it's for one of the courses for the rich, such as the Master of Business Administration, universities may charge in the UK or to charge more for it; alternatively, at those British universities mentioned, some courses might not charge anything, such as for a Doctor of Philosophy in Business at the Said Business School at University of Oxford (it is not that the University does not require a fee, but that the School pays for all applicants - not that this technicality matters to the applicant).
    Don't think Imperial charge, I wasn't charged at least (is an expensive course in itself though). I wish they did though, had they charged there would be less applications and I would have received my offer before paying to submit my back up applications. LSE and UCL do though regardless of course.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Little Toy Gun)

Was charged at the LSE and Cambridge.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  3. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.