The Student Room Group

Decision 1 matchings help!

image.jpg

I'm really stuck on part b, I just can't see how to match everything up... does complete matching mean I have to match all the letters with the numbers i.e. no unmatched vertices? I keep having one vertice unmatched on the left and right hand side... Would really appreciate some help, thanks
Reply 1
Can anyone help me?
Reply 2
Original post by jordanwu
Can anyone help me?

@SeanFM
image.jpg

I'm really stuck on part b, I just can't see how to match everything up... does complete matching mean I have to match all the letters with the numbers i.e. no unmatched vertices? I keep having one vertice unmatched on the left and right hand side... Would really appreciate some help, thanks

Yes, complete matching means that everything is matched up to no more than 1 node.

If you start off with the matching they give, and then go down the alphabet side, you'll see that A is matched and B is matched, so the first one that isn't is C, and this one has a fairly easy matching. Then you should be able to properly apply it to the remaining one.
Reply 4
Original post by SeanFM
Yes, complete matching means that everything is matched up to no more than 1 node.

If you start off with the matching they give, and then go down the alphabet side, you'll see that A is matched and B is matched, so the first one that isn't is C, and this one has a fairly easy matching. Then you should be able to properly apply it to the remaining one.

What I don't get is how to write down the answer, I'm just not sure if I've done it wrong, but this is what I came up with:

C-4+B-3+A-1+E-5

But then D on the left and 2 on the right aren't matched.. I'm not sure what to do next :/
What I don't get is how to write down the answer, I'm just not sure if I've done it wrong, but this is what I came up with:

C-4+B-3+A-1+E-5

But then D on the left and 2 on the right aren't matched.. I'm not sure what to do next :/

You can always apply the algorithm twice. Matching C to 2 straight away would have been easier though.

I'm not sure what exam board you're with it how they want you to answer these questions.

For Edexcel:

If you had the answer you have, you first write

C-4=B-3=A-1=E-5 where - means 'could be matched to' and = means 'is currently matched to.

You them write 'change status' and swap the - for = and = for -, so it becomes

C=4-B=3-A=1-E=5.

If + is the same as = then you should be fine.
Reply 6
Original post by SeanFM
You can always apply the algorithm twice. Matching C to 2 straight away would have been easier though.

I'm not sure what exam board you're with it how they want you to answer these questions.

For Edexcel:

If you had the answer you have, you first write

C-4=B-3=A-1=E-5 where - means 'could be matched to' and = means 'is currently matched to.

You them write 'change status' and swap the - for = and = for -, so it becomes

C=4-B=3-A=1-E=5.

If + is the same as = then you should be fine.

I'm with AQA, and yh I think + means the same thing as =.
If I decided to match D with 4:
D-4+B-3+A-1+E-5, but then what would I write down for C to be matched with 2? Just C-2??
Then the complete matching would be: A-1, B-3, C-2, D-4, E-5??
I'm with AQA, and yh I think + means the same thing as =.
If I decided to match D with 4:
D-4+B-3+A-1+E-5, but then what would I write down for C to be matched with 2? Just C-2??
Then the complete matching would be: A-1, B-3, C-2, D-4, E-5??

Just C-2 yes, I'm not sure if for AQA you need to show the change by writing C+2 underneath it.

Otherwise that should be correct.
Reply 8
Original post by SeanFM
Just C-2 yes, I'm not sure if for AQA you need to show the change by writing C+2 underneath it.

Otherwise that should be correct.

OK thanks I'll check with my teacher just to make sure

Quick Reply

Latest